Clubplanet Nightlife Community

I finally did it...

rbs

I think that what's most likely is that a bunch of investors are going to get screwed because developers are feeding them a bunch of fantasies about how nice that area is going to get after they 'fix' a few buildings.

The developers will get the contracts and make a pile of cash from private investors and from the city. The contracts will be overvalued because of Miami nepotism and the developers and the lobbyists that help them to win the contracts will get rich.

The final market values on the properties will be lower than expected because the buildings will be nice (probably completed behind schedule as is normal with Miami development projects that have anything to do with the city) but nobody will want to buy them because they are surrounded by junkies and crack whores. I don't mean figurative junkies and crack whores, real ones.

End result is the city and some well-connected developers make a big pile of cash. Investors and taxpayers lose a bunch of money. A bunch of homeless people get nice pretty clean new sidewalks. I expect no other substantial changes to the neighborhood.

I agree.

Guest Clarisa

I think that what's most likely is that a bunch of investors are going to get screwed because developers are feeding them a bunch of fantasies about how nice that area is going to get after they 'fix' a few buildings.

The developers will get the contracts and make a pile of cash from private investors and from the city. The contracts will be overvalued because of Miami nepotism and the developers and the lobbyists that help them to win the contracts will get rich.

The final market values on the properties will be lower than expected because the buildings will be nice (probably completed behind schedule as is normal with Miami development projects that have anything to do with the city) but nobody will want to buy them because they are surrounded by junkies and crack whores. I don't mean figurative junkies and crack whores, real ones.

End result is the city and some well-connected developers make a big pile of cash. Investors and taxpayers lose a bunch of money. A bunch of homeless people get nice pretty clean new sidewalks. I expect no other substantial changes to the neighborhood.

We'll see when it does happen. I won't be one to buy... I can't afford a used condo in downtown none the less a new one. Maybe one day....

Guest JMT

if living around south florida my whole life has taught me anything, its that a ghetto area can be cleaned up DRASTICALLY in a short amount of time.

Guest JMT

15 years ago no normal person would even DRIVE down atlantic ave in delray when it was dark out, let alone walk around.

now its a haven for upscale restaurants and bars. the ghetto was pushed back. its still there a few blocks away, but as time goes it keeps getting moved away as money keeps coming to the area.

same thing for west palm beach around clematis st. and city place.

Guest endymion

To where? The Design District? Brickell? South Beach?

Homeless people don't apply for permits. They're just there.

Guest JMT

homestead, doesnt matter. they will relocate somewhere once the deep pockets start rolling in.

im not saying you can rid miami of them altogether, but certain neighborhoods and areas can certainly be cleaned up.

homestead, doesnt matter. they will relocate somewhere once the deep pockets start rolling in.

im not saying you can rid miami of them altogether, but certain neighborhoods and areas can certainly be cleaned up.

But it will take a lot more time than just five years. Besides look at the Grove, SOBE...plenty of money yet there are still bums and crackheads all over.

Guest pod

The Beach isn't exactly bum free. I can't walk 20 feet down Washington without getting bothered by some degenerate asking for a handout.

This guy I know solved the problem quite easily in his neghborhood back where I come from. He simply went out every night and beat the living shit out of all the homeless people he came across on his block. Soon enough the whole hood got in on the action, and bam, no more homeless people.

I'm not advocating beating up bums (well, maybe I am), but what I am advocating is a strong sense of community to get these people out. I know one thing for sure, that the bums do not really hang too much in front of Space. Beyond it, yeah, but in front? Nah...

As for downtown living, I see the areas beyond Space in a few years getting decent to live in. I would buy now just to beat the rush.

Brickell's another story...though on the west side of the tracks there, there's some killer places for under a grand a month...

Guest endymion

The Beach isn't exactly bum free. I can't walk 20 feet down Washington without getting bothered by some degenerate asking for a handout.

Have you ever seen what the beach itself looks like at sunrise on a weekday? Especially in the winter. Homeless people literally every ten or fifteen feet.

Of course at sunrise on the weekends it's the same way but then it's club people sprawled out instead.

Guest shannon_coolj.
...there's unfurnished lofts off of Flagler and Miami Avenue for $100K.

Pod, please keep in mind the distinction between "hangin with the Junkies" and "hangin with junkies".

The Junkies are on South Beach. Actual junkies live downtown.

The Junkies are NOT all on South Beach. Just CJ headquarters...