Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Chess Champion Bobby Fisher Renounces US Citizenship

Guest web_norah

Guest web_norah

TOKYO (AFP) - Chess master Bobby Fischer, being held in Japan, said he was renouncing his American citizenship, alleging in an open letter released by his lawyer that Washington committed crimes against him.

"I no longer wish to be an American citizen. Enough is enough. I hereby authorize my attorney Masako Suzuki to contact the US embassy in Tokyo, Japan, immediately so I can officially renounce my US citizenship at once," Fischer said in the handwritten letter.

Suzuki gave out copies of the letter dated August 5 at a press conference Friday.

The lawyer said Fischer planned to be registered by the United Nations (news - web sites) High Commissioner for Refugees as a stateless person, and that he had separately applied to the Japanese government for refugee status.

In the two-page letter, Fischer, 61, said he wanted to give up US citizenship because "the filthy US government and the filthy US-controlled Japanese government working in collusion and in a criminal conspiracy have illegally confiscated and illegally physically destroyed my perfectly valid in every way US passport."

He was detained in Japan after being stopped from boarding a flight to the Philippines on July 13 for using a passport which US officials said had been revoked.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20040806/en_afp/japan_us_chess_people_fischer_040806144456&e=2

Guest JMT

its sad, but the guy is insane. hes jewish, but is anti-semetic. he cheered when 9/11 happened on radio shows, you can find audio clips on the net.

Guest swirlundergrounder

I love chess. 91.gif

Dude..I'll waste you in a game of chess. I was the ranked 163rd in Washington State when I was 13 years old... I'll Knight to Queen 2 and check mate your ass!!!!

Guest swirlundergrounder

chess is a fun game :P

Especially when its timed. Ever play speed chess where in your game has a 10 minute limit to each player you count each piece captured as points?