Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Immigration and Reality TV combined - Horrible

Reality show offers potential green card

Friday, August 6, 2004 Posted: 12:02 PM EDT (1602 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Some TV shows offer an extreme makeover, others a bid for pop stardom. But the hottest reality show in the U.S. Hispanic market is offering the ultimate prize -- a potential green card to immigrants desperate to pursue the American dream.

"Gana la Verde" ("Win the Green") has attracted big audiences and hundreds of contestants willing to eat burritos crammed with live worms, jump off high-speed trucks or wash skyscraper windows in exchange for a year's legal help in speeding up their visa or green card cases.

The show, run five times a week on small Spanish-language television channels in Los Angeles, San Diego, Houston and Dallas, was the brainchild of Lenard Liberman, executive vice president of the independent TV and radio company Liberman Broadcasting.

"When you are in the Hispanic market, you realize that immigration and legal status is the number one issue ... They want to be able to earn a living and not have the pressure of wondering if they are able to stay or not," Liberman said on Thursday.

"We could do a show and give the winner a cash prize, or a toaster oven. But I thought, what would be the ultimate prize for someone living in the United States as an immigrant? ... To have a prestigious law firm handle their case would be something invaluable," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/...card.game.reut/

Guest LdySphynx

Thats just disgusting!!!!!

WTF are they going to come up with next???

This reality shit is getting out of hand it was fun at the begininng but as always we take things to the extreme and just fuck it all up.

I mean don't get me wrong there are maybe a very selct few reality shows that I watch very very few.

But this latest one is just sick way to make these poor people hummilate themselves on National TV for our amusement.

You know whats the worst part about all of this that they are fighting for a Green Card in order to make minimum wage and probably live in some shitty ass little efficency and riding a bike to work if they are lucky to even get a bike. Oh wait or they can just live on Welfare all their lives talk about the American Dream ::)!!!