Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Would you attend an opera?

Guest endymion

Would you attend an opera?  

1. 1. Would you attend an opera?

Guest bcnjunkie

Not considered, I have been to the Opera, several times !!! in London, NY, Paris, Rome, Los Angeles and Miami. And I have also been to the ballet, modern dance (which was actually the most boring), broadway shows and Las Vegas style burlesque shows the likes of The Lido and Moulin Rouge. Then again I also went to the live shows in Amsterdam, that's cultural no ?

Guest endymion

Okay okay, fine. Saleen is opera-curious, but you're full-on operatic. Fine with me man, we cater to all kinds here. Shalom and love.

Guest smentac

Thanks to cooljunkie for scouting this out. Opera arias have already been mixed with dance music to create some interesting results and opera singers aren't all fat - nudity has been done (even at the Met, in Salome, and this summer bigtime in Germany - I forget the opera). Don't see why the two crowds would be mutually exclusive.

Guest JMT

Sarah Brightman

05de_sarah_brightman_t.jpg

Fri/Jan-16 Sunrise, FL Office Depot Center

Sat/Jan-17 Lakeland, FL The Lakeland Center

her concert special on direct tv a while back was really good.

last time she was here tix were a bend-over.

Guest endymion

I never even thought of Sarah Brightman as opera. If she's singing Andrew Lloyd Webber pop tunes then it doesn't count as opera, no?

So does anybody know of any cool dance tracks with opera layers? I can only think of all of the dance tracks based on O Fortuna from Carmina Burana. I'm sure that there must be some remixes of the Ride of the Valkyries somewhere? Remixes of songs from Tommy don't count.

Hey wasn't one of those O Fortuna remixes from an act called "Apotheosis"? That isn't where that came from is it Apotheosis?

Guest macboy

I never even thought of Sarah Brightman as opera.

That's correct TJ, because she's a singer, not an actor. Still has a great voice, though. :)

I never even thought of Sarah Brightman as opera. If she's singing Andrew Lloyd Webber pop tunes then it doesn't count as opera, no?

So does anybody know of any cool dance tracks with opera layers? I can only think of all of the dance tracks based on O Fortuna from Carmina Burana. I'm sure that there must be some remixes of the Ride of the Valkyries somewhere? Remixes of songs from Tommy don't count.

Hey wasn't one of those O Fortuna remixes from an act called "Apotheosis"? That isn't where that came from is it Apotheosis?

;D ;) goddammit the jig is up, now i gotta change my screenname. i had also discovered that it's a real word, one time tiesto used it in his "personal notes" on his webpage.

that cd "rave till dawn" was what got me into electronic music in the first place. oh fortuna was track 1. you can't get it on the cd anymore, though. it wasn't liscensed correctly or something, they took it off after about 2 years.

Guest mikepayne

I know I have heard several dance tunes with opera but I am sooo bad at track names. Sowwy. Wasnt there one in the movie Blade?

The track at the beginning of Blade during the blood shower scene is New Order - Confusion, but I'm almost sure that can't be the one you're talking about, since there's nothin' opera about it, heh.

Guest endymion

that cd "rave till dawn" was what got me into electronic music in the first place. oh fortuna was track 1.

Wow, holy crap, me too. I never had that compilation, I had a girlfriend in high school who heard that O Fortuna movement in a trailer for the Les Miserable movie and she wigged out. She tracked down every known recording of the thing. (Before the Internet!) One of them was Apotheosis, the O Fortuna track and another one that just sucked. It ended up all over the Orlando dance scene the next year. ;D About 89, 90.

That was the first dark electronic track that I had ever heard, ever. Everything electronic before that had been Danny Elfman Oingo Boingo happy bright 80's synthesizer pop. Then that track comes along and 'hey, cool, sophisticated and energetic at the same time, justfication for using computers in music'.

To this day the dance and electronic music that I like has some sophisticated organic layer at center stage, preferably designed by a real composer instead of a tone deaf beat poet. Layo & Bushwacka!, Thomas Newman, Underworld, Photek.

Interesting. We come back to our roots. Maybe we really should check out this opera thing.

Guest endymion

Carisa, that's exactly the sort of stuff that I'm looking for. I'm going to make a compilation. Please let me know if you come across any?

Guest durrtylexx

I always enjoyed <gasp> the trance remix of Emma Shapplin's Spente Le Stelle. No flaming please. :)

;D

I can't lie, I liked this track when it came out..And Zombie Nation...At that time I was a candy raver...Its all good.. ;)

Guest bcnjunkie

sure does !

Guest JMT

well, are the 3 tenors opera? she is in the same category.