Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Poll...the best dj's in florida

Guest Adam Singer

Where do you think the best dj's in florida live?  

1. 1. Where do you think the best dj's in florida live?

Guest Adam Singer

what do you think...?

i've spent time partying/mixing in alot of cities in florida, and id say its a toss up between miami and gainesville (yes gainesville) in terms of quality dj's/producers...

while there are not many clubs in gainesville, there is NO shortage of sick dj's and producers including legendary boyd westerman, dj ghost, comic, diamond, matt verducci, and lucien just to name but a small few...there are many im leaving out...in the local clubs/on the radio stations ive heard some sick dj sets by locals who are constantly working hard on production work/their mixing skills seeing as how there isnt much else to do in this town...

i voted gainesville seeing as how thats where i am at the moment

so, where in florida is the best talent?

Guest swirlundergrounder

The Everglades....The Oakeefanoakey Swamp...LOL.

I really can't say. I have not been down here that long or around the state enough to make a good assesment. I would say Orlando has produced some really sucessful talent, such as Kimball Collins, Chris Fortier, Baby Anne, DJ Icey....Miami has Murk, Is DJ Who from gainsville? Austin Leeds lives in Ft Lauderdale...It's hard for me to say.....I almost want to give it to Orlando....

Isn't Friction and Spice and Jimmy Van M from Orlando also?

Guest endymion

Best nights I've ever been to ever, anywhere, have been in Gainvesille. Hands-down. Everybody knows everybody else in that town, that makes a huge difference. It's not so much about the music as about the people and the connections between the people. A culture tied together by music rather than just music events for the sake of music events. Here it's way more anonymous. Back before the 2 AM closing law it was nothing but huge name world-class DJs, aaaaaaaaaaall weekend parties with hundreds of your personal friends from Friday night to ... uhh... Tuesday? That can only happen in a small town that has clubs that book huge name DJs. Not many places have that magic combination.

If you're asking where are the local DJs better then it's Miami. Sorry...

Guest swirlundergrounder

Best nights I've ever been to ever, anywhere, have been in Gainvesille. Hands-down. Everybody knows everybody else in that town, that makes a huge difference. It's not so much about the music as about the people and the connections between the people. A culture tied together by music rather than just music events for the sake of music events. Here it's way more anonymous. Back before the 2 AM closing law it was nothing but huge name world-class DJs, aaaaaaaaaaall weekend parties with hundreds of your personal friends from Friday night to ... uhh... Tuesday? That can only happen in a small town that has clubs that book huge name DJs. Not many places have that magic combination.

That's the one thing I miss about Seattle is the family atmosphere in the clubs. The bad thing about that is you can't take a shit without everyone knowing what color it is...and the weakness of the smaller atmosphere is the lack (or less amount) of fresh faces in the scene week in and week out. In Miami there seems to be always someone new patying either for the weekend or a lifetime....But it's harder to meet the right people in a larger scene where as in a smaller scene the 3rd degree of seperation between people applies more...

Guest web_norah

i personally feel that there is talent everywhere, regardless of where you live ....i'd say both Miami and Orlando area share a good portion of great talent, Chris Fortier, Three, Jimmy Van M come from Orlando -and Miami has Murk, Stryke, etc....

Guest Cosmigonon

That's the one thing I miss about Seattle is the family atmosphere in the clubs. The bad thing about that is you can't take a shit without everyone knowing what color it is...and the weakness of the smaller atmosphere is the lack (or less amount) of fresh faces in the scene week in and week out. In Miami there seems to be always someone new patying either for the weekend or a lifetime....But it's harder to meet the right people in a larger scene where as in a smaller scene the 3rd degree of seperation between people applies more...

I agree. In small cities like Panama, parties are all about your friends, but sometimes gets boring when there are no new faces coming along... :(

Guest web_norah

Seattle has ms Chloe Harris - she does sets at Proton Radio and is one of the most fierce female DJs out there!

Guest swirlundergrounder

Seattle has ms Chloe Harris - she does sets at Proton Radio and is one of the most fierce female DJs out there!

Yeah I've known Chloe for a while. She played for me at an event I used to do in Seattle which showcased Progressive House. Sean Cusick also played at that event..Lot's of fun!

swirljune282002flyerfront.gif

swirljune282002flyerback.gif:)

Guest endymion

In Gainesville there is a steady seasonal stream of fresh faces, and they are all 18 and 19 year old college girls.

So if you have indoor/outdoor clubs with great sound systems and multiple areas of sound booking world-class talent, an intimate environment with all of your friends, and a steady stream of new young hot ladies...

Hard to beat that man. I stayed in that town for a few years after I strictly had to because the weekends were just So. Much. Fun.

Guest pod

Reactionary 2 AM closing time killed that scene though. A lot of people up and left after that. No real reason to go up there anymore...I kind of wonder when I hear of people making a 5 hour drive to hear a 2 hour set.

Guest endymion

2 AM killed Gainesville, agreed 100%. The last serious night there was Digweed @ Simon's, some time in I think 2001. At least we got to say goodbye. Place is still open but now it's just another place.

It wasn't just the 2 AM rule. There is also a rule now about multi-club events. The Semranis used to throw these huge weekend-long events like Gemini (for Simon's birthday) that started Friday night and went all weekend long, and you could wander between Simon's, the Loft, the Soulhouse, if you knew people (everybody in Gainesville knows people) then also the Speakeasy, Lush, all over. All within a block, all going off like an orgy all night long, one arm band one cover no hassle, everybody smiling all night long. The no-multi-club-events rule killed that.

Ironic thing is the crackdown had no effect. It didn't end parties in Gainesville, it just drove them underground. Drug use and drug-related emergency medical cases kept rising steadily. The crackdown was more about Gainesville telling a couple of local businesses that they were not welcome than it was about drugs or young people or harm prevention.

Guest ramon

2 AM killed Gainesville, agreed 100%. The last serious night there was Digweed @ Simon's, some time in I think 2001. At least we got to say goodbye. Place is still open but now it's just another place.

It wasn't just the 2 AM rule. There is also a rule now about multi-club events. The Semranis used to throw these huge weekend-long events like Gemini (for Simon's birthday) that started Friday night and went all weekend long, and you could wander between Simon's, the Loft, the Soulhouse, if you knew people (everybody in Gainesville knows people) then also the Speakeasy, Lush, all over. All within a block, all going off like an orgy all night long, one arm band one cover no hassle, everybody smiling all night long. The no-multi-club-events rule killed that.

Ironic thing is the crackdown had no effect. It didn't end parties in Gainesville, it just drove them underground. Drug use and drug-related emergency medical cases kept rising steadily. The crackdown was more about Gainesville telling a couple of local businesses that they were not welcome than it was about drugs or young people or harm prevention.

I was at that Digweed night .. fuckin cops showed up before he had a chance to play an encore. He did play it but he was so differnet up there than here at Space. I had an amazing time met some really cool people that night. Ive heard so many stories about tha tplace its crazy. Its nothing like it used to be unfortunately. They have changed it around alot , but get John back up there and who knows what might happen .. those 4 hours were insane. I had a bedrock shirt on that was grey that was completely sweated through by the time the night was over. It was hot nasty filthy and the music was great. What wonderful times.

Guest endymion

Hey wow! Old skool connections! Legal Junkie and I were both there that night, stepping on cockroaches in the booth as I recall.

The cops were worried that night for real true health concerns. The air conditioning system went out and there were some serious heat exhaustion and heat stroke concerns.

We kept the party going in Plasma for a few hours after that. It was much more comfortable once we got rid of all of the customers...

:) Sorry man!

Guest Adam Singer

i wouldnt say its dead here, ask oscar or edgar if they had fun playing at vibe when we had them ;D

most of the parties i play up here have good turnouts, especially considering most people here like hip hop...

its not dead, just different than it was (i was down in miami during the haydays of gainesville, so i really don't know what it was like, but i know what it is like at this moment)

Guest siuol_leahcim

I was at that Digweed night .. fuckin cops showed up before he had a chance to play an encore. He did play it but he was so differnet up there than here at Space. I had an amazing time met some really cool people that night. Ive heard so many stories about tha tplace its crazy. Its nothing like it used to be unfortunately. They have changed it around alot , but get John back up there and who knows what might happen .. those 4 hours were insane. I had a bedrock shirt on that was grey that was completely sweated through by the time the night was over. It was hot nasty filthy and the music was great. What wonderful times.

It was so hot in there that night that you could literally see the heat. And yes the music was downright nasty. :)

Guest noelsanger

i'll be at simon's next weekend. and i haven't played in gville for while so i am interested to see how it goes.

noel

Guest ramon

i'll be at simon's next weekend. and i haven't played in gville for while so i am interested to see how it goes.

noel

its a little different noel but its still very much the same .. :)

good luck!