Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Sky Captain

Guest web_norah

Guest web_norah

this is one Hollywood film i am def checking out

SkyCaptain_adv.jpg

GWYNETH PALTROW and JUDE LAW go retro in 'Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow,' a pre-World War II-era, film-noir fantasy chock-full of mad scientists, killer robots and daring pilots!

Watch an exclusive clip from the movie in which Gwyneth and Jude are in jeopardy -- and get romantic!

"I really got the giggles a lot," says Gwyneth about shooting every one of her scenes against blue screen and not being able to see any of the giant, attacking robots that would be added later.

Invading theaters September 17, 'Sky Captain' stars JUDE LAW as the title character who teams up with Gwyneth's ace reporter, Polly Perkins, to investigate the mysterious disappearance of the world's greatest scientists. With the help of Dex Dearborn (GIOVANNI RIBISI), a tech genius, and Franky Cook (ANGELINA JOLIE), the leader of an all-female amphibious squadron, the fearless Sky Captain and Polly go up against the evil Dr. Totenkopf, who plans to destroy the world! Can our intrepid heroes stop this madman before it's too late?

"It's very much an adventure about this couple who are sort of old lovers thrown together one more time on a mission," explains Jude, "and Polly, Gwyneth's character, holds information that my character needs to get to the bottom of solving a particular crime."

Filmed entirely against blue screen, 'Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow' features incredible production design and state-of-the-art special effects. After principal photography wrapped, every scene was filled in digitally with around-the-world locations, action scenes and even basic sets.

"It felt like somewhere in-between theater and some sort of abstract, empty space," says Jude, "and mucking around in a front room pretending like a chair was a car and a tennis ball was a robot. I mean, towards the end we both went a little crazy."

Written and directed by first-time director KERRY CONRAN, the film also stars MICHAEL GAMBON ('Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban') as Polly's newspaper editor, Morris Paley, and BAI LING ('My Baby's Daddy') as the destructive Mysterious Woman.

apparently the entire movie was filmed with blue screens. i dunno, i'm not crazy about movies that rely 100% on the special effects. the clips that i've seen look a little weird, it'll distract me the entire movie. i'll wait for some firsthand accounts.

i agree. the newspaper reviews i read didnt care for it much.