Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The religion debacle

Guest web_norah

Guest web_norah

Buddhist Monks Fall for Beer Girls

Two Buddhist monks abandoned their vows after they fell in love with a pair of teenage girls who sold beer across from their temple in central Cambodia, a newspaper reported Monday.

The two monks - Nang Pong and Vom Vong, both 19 - gave up their monastic lives Thursday after the chief monk at their temple accused them of secretly courting the girls in violation of Buddhist precepts, The Cambodia Daily reported.

The teenage girls earlier had been told to leave the monks the monks alone, Deputy District Police Chief Yung Sam was quoted as saying.

Ninety percent of Cambodia's 13 million people are Buddhist. About 60,000 monks live in more than 4,000 pagodas across the country.

Guest pod

Seriously. Yeah they were "weak" by giving up their vows, but I don't see how it is a big deal. I'm sure the head monk had a cow over it, but I think it is just jealousy really! They flirted with the religion, found it lacking (for them people, for them. If you want to be a Buddhist/Catholic/Jew/Muslim/Zororastrian/Animist/Jaianist/Hindu, more power to you) and moved on elsewhere.

But in the end, good for them.