Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Every Woman's Dream

Guest ImAlwaysDancing

Guest pod

I'd beg to differ. That was somewhat true in the late 80s - early 90s. My family pretty much exclusively drives American vehicles, and keeps them for at least 6 or more years. Not to say Japanese vehicles are bad, but American ones are no longer the tin cans you think they are. An extreme example was my mother's 1990 Oldsmobile which had 400,000 miles on it by the time she got rid of it in 2000, and only then because she was tired of driving it and wanted a new one. 400,000 miles with only minor repairs aside from scheduled maintenance.

Oh, and that Honda you drive was probably made in here in the US, or worse yet parts of it are "Hecho en Mexico"!

That being said, there's really no such thing anymore as an American or Japanese car. Both sides utilize plants in other nations to make for cheaper vehicles. Hell, Mercedes is building a plant in Alabama of all places, and Ford owns most of Mazda and practically all of the British automotive industry.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ImAlwaysDancing

I'd beg to differ. That was somewhat true in the late 80s - early 90s. My family pretty much exclusively drives American vehicles, and keeps them for at least 6 or more years. Not to say Japanese vehicles are bad, but American ones are no longer the tin cans you think they are. An extreme example was my mother's 1990 Oldsmobile which had 400,000 miles on it by the time she got rid of it in 2000, and only then because she was tired of driving it and wanted a new one. 400,000 miles with only minor repairs aside from scheduled maintenance.

Oh, and that Honda you drive was probably made in here in the US, or worse yet parts of it are "Hecho en Mexico"!

That being said, there's really no such thing anymore as an American or Japanese car. Both sides utilize plants in other nations to make for cheaper vehicles. Hell, Mercedes is building a plant in Alabama of all places, and Ford owns most of Mazda and practically all of the British automotive industry.

I can't compete with that answer :)

I don't really know much about car production but im sure most of what you said has a lot of truth. However, even on just a visual standpoint i tend to like the look of foreign luxury cars better...i guess any car is good if you take care of it the right way. Hell...my mother swears by Hyndai Elantra's...i mean that's worse than a Saturn...but she loves them. When i drive her car i feel like its gonna break in half...and that's not American so your point is right. I also had a Grand Prix as my first car which i loved more than my Nissan now..but im hoping my next will be a step up lol. As long as it gets me from point a to b and i feel safe and that it wont break down on me...i dont car where it is from.

Guest web_norah
"if you own a Jaguar, you might as well have two, cos one will more than likely be on the shop, while you drive the 2nd one".

during my mis-spent youth, i turned wrenches on a variety of finicky vehicles, and british-built cars were the worst (if you think jags are bad, try keeping a vintage austin healey running as a daily driver). still, despite their temperamental nature, i'm perversely attracted to british vehicles. i guess i'm a masochistic mechanic.

well when commuting and having to deal with breakdowns, i just wouldnt have the patience...........

i'd basically prefer German cars for that reason - reliable and high end....if one can afford a visit to the mechanic and the oil changes...

Very good statement brother, all I buy is SUV's or trucks, and chevy, dodge, ford, and hummer make the best, just my opinion, American way baby, even though I prefer latina girls ;D

Guest guyman1966

instead of the Jaguar "insert ______"

mine would probably be a 725 BMW or vintage Alfa Romeo.

All, including the Jag are EuroTrash! I'd take a good American Muscle car over any of the import garbage out there.

But I have no idea how you can put an Alfa Romeo and a BMW in the same league?

Guest guyman1966

oh please take your American car comment to the trash bin ... ::)

Back it up! I'd take a Mustang Cobra, Vette, Ford GT, or high end Caddy over any import that mirrors these cars niche in the market.

Guest guyman1966

yeah they're all surely fuel efficient and nice to look at ...

You are making it to easy to bash you today...

Whats the gas milage on the BMW you talked about? Get your facts straight before you make comments that will make you look silly.

Guest web_norah

Whats the gas milage on the BMW you talked about? Get your facts straight before you make comments that will make you look silly.

Guyman go back to driving your Ford Pinto and leave me alone...American cars are not fuel efficient ....

Guest guyman1966

Guyman go back to driving your Ford Pinto and leave me alone...American cars are not fuel efficient ....

Instead of sounding like a rejected cleaning lady, get your facts in order:

BMW 745i - 18 city / 26 Hwy

Caddy STS v8 - 18 city / 24 Hwy

Not enough difference between these two cars milage to make a difference. So your gas hog comment is hogwash. Performance rides, even the EuroTrash cars drink gas.

Guest guyman1966

and someone please post a pic of a Ford GT...

Tell me that is not the nicest car out there!

Guest guyman1966

eat shit.

thank you and have a nice day

I should expect a foolish comment like that from you. You just continue to prove what a low life you are. You owe The Saleen (and I'm sure others) money, you pretend to be married to DJ's and Board personalities, you don't know dick about cars or politics, and you can't mop a floor for shit.

Guest web_norah

eat shit.

thank you and have a nice day

I should expect a foolish comment like that from you. You just continue to prove what a low life you are. You owe The Saleen (and I'm sure others) money, you pretend to be married to DJ's and Board personalities, you don't know dick about cars or politics, and you can't mop a floor for shit.

fyi it is not a DJ - - i dont go out with the help, it is a club owner in NYC

lol.gif

Guest pod

You want real fuel efficiency either get a hybrid or a motorcycle.

Civics scare me, there's not much between me and the hulking SUV that just cut me off. Besides, everyone else has a Civic, and they are the preferred vehicle of riceboys.

Better yet, switch over to an AFV. Ford makes plenty of vehicles fueled by propane, natural gas, or methane. Even full electric conversions are availabe.

GM needs to get on the ball though. A few years ago they had an EV1 break 180 MPH on the track, but never followed up on the concept.

Though the sick twisted person in me wants a plain white late-model Crown Vic. I'll just sit on the side of the road and watch everyone slow down.