Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Looking for a bartending job...with no exp.

Guest lil_liz

Guest lil_liz

I am getting myself one of those bartending books and researching jobs and what not, but would like your help as to where I should begin looking because I have no experience as a bartender. It would only be a weekend job, still keeping my full time. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Guest somefiercehouse

i hope you're hot and easy!

you might want to start out as a shot girl, no offense, but especially in miami, most clubs, correct me if i'm wrong, need someone with experience in a high volume atmosphere. they don't want a girl going to look in her intoxication dictionary everytime someone orders a drink...not to mention, it's hard to read in the dark.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU THOUGH! I WISH YOU THE BEST!

Guest snipper

monster.com and craigslist.com are always good places to start. But really, the best way to go is just wander up to the bars and hit them up. Your best places to start are NOT in the big clubs, of course. Start out at someplace like Fridays or Bennigan's. Or maybe some of the smaller mainland bars. Get some experience, then work up from there.

Guest lyrik

Thanks for the replies, I am glad I can always count on people down here. Forget I even asked ::)

Liz the best way to get into something like that is to know somebody...especially if you have little experience. So hit up some friends on the beach that might know someone that can get you in...maybe doing a small shift to see how you work out 1st. I would study up pretty good first...if you teach yourself and are a fast learner...well then you can just BS about your past experience if you want.

Guest AlanS

I've always wondered if the bartending schools are worth it. $500 bucks for the one or two week program with hands on experience and they will help place you somewhere. I just don't know if they actually work out as well as they advertise ???

Guest jbit

check the classifieds. you need to start somewhere, maybe a restauraunt bar or something.

Use you fucking head. How would you netowrk yourself for any other type of job. Get out there and talk to people (not on chat boards either). Thers's no magic spot in the middle of SOBO thats going to hire a newb unless you know someone.

Guest tres-b

check the classifieds. you need to start somewhere, maybe a restauraunt bar or something.

Use you fucking head. How would you netowrk yourself for any other type of job. Get out there and talk to people (not on chat boards either). Thers's no magic spot in the middle of SOBO thats going to hire a newb unless you know someone.

Are you sure? I heard about a manhole cover on Collins where you should go and wait for a job offer. This is how my friend got hired.

Guest MELI2444

I have a friend who's a bartender which is looking for a job. He told me that in restaurants they always require you to start as a waiter before they make you a bartender. Some waitress's make good money. It just depends on the restaurant. I've heard you can make decent money at Dan Marino's in Sunset Place.

Guest JMT

Use you fucking head....

whats that about??

Guest swirlundergrounder

I am getting myself one of those bartending books and researching jobs and what not, but would like your help as to where I should begin looking because I have no experience as a bartender. It would only be a weekend job, still keeping my full time. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

i'm a bartender myself and my advice to you would be to get to know your basic drinks and start bartending at a hotel outside of SOBE. You can get good experience as a bartender in a hotel. The pace is not as fast as a night club. If you have no bartending experience and you get a job at a club you will quit or be fired your first night.

There's more to batetneding then knowing all the recipes becuz you can memorize about a hundred recipes by heart but once someone in a club asks you for 5 different drinks at a time with different combinations of Liquor and Liqeour and there's a line of 10 people behind him, trust me, if you don't have the experince you will forget everything you know..

You have to get used to the differnet kinds of alcohol and what each bottle looks like, how much or how little to pour, bar lingo etc....

Don't make your first bartending experience a bad one.

Invest $400 into a bartending school like SOBE bartending school. It's a 2 week course and well worth it. I now bartend only 4 days a week and I bring in at least $200 a day working at a pool side bad at a hotel on the beach from 10am-6pm and I love it....

Guest swirlundergrounder

I've always wondered if the bartending schools are worth it. $500 bucks for the one or two week program with hands on experience and they will help place you somewhere. I just don't know if they actually work out as well as they advertise ???

They work out pretty good. The investment of $400 was well worth it to me. It took about 2 months for me to find a job I was happy with...They teach you a lot of drinks at the schools but you really need to know only a handful depending on where you end up working.

Liz, my advice is not try. Ya know you are a sweet heart, but in clubs in miami and nyc, most bartenders approach 6 feet tall. Just part of the requirments.

but hey, if you still want to look, go find a shitty resturante, but then again, rookies only work day shift on the week days, the weekends are for the experience peeps. so it's gonna be hard.

Guest swirlundergrounder

Liz, my advice is not try. Ya know you are a sweet heart, but in clubs in miami and nyc, most bartenders approach 6 feet tall. Just part of the requirments.

but hey, if you still want to look, go find a shitty resturante, but then again, rookies only work day shift on the week days, the weekends are for the experience peeps. so it's gonna be hard.

True. You have to be able to reach up high to get bottles and over the bar to hand people their drinks

Guest lil_liz

i'm a bartender myself and my advice to you would be to get to know your basic drinks and start bartending at a hotel outside of SOBE. You can get good experience as a bartender in a hotel. The pace is not as fast as a night club. If you have no bartending experience and you get a job at a club you will quit or be fired your first night.

There's more to batetneding then knowing all the recipes becuz you can memorize about a hundred recipes by heart but once someone in a club asks you for 5 different drinks at a time with different combinations of Liquor and Liqeour and there's a line of 10 people behind him, trust me, if you don't have the experince you will forget everything you know..

You have to get used to the differnet kinds of alcohol and what each bottle looks like, how much or how little to pour, bar lingo etc....

Invest $400 into a bartending school like SOBE bartending school. It's a 2 week course and well worth it. I now bartend only 4 days a week and I bring in at least $200 a day working at a pool side bad at a hotel on the beach from 10am-6pm and I love it....

I will take your advice on starting at a Hotel, however I am not going to get seriously into it. I have a full time job in which I am doing what I got a bachelors in school, it's just something that I need to stay afloat until I go back to Chicago Memorial Weekend. In other words a legal way of getting more money quick.

I will take your advice on starting at a Hotel, however I am not going to get seriously into it. I have a full time job in which I am doing what I got a bachelors in school, it's just something that I need to stay afloat until I go back to Chicago Memorial Weekend. In other words a legal way of getting more money quick.

you are moving home??? :(

Guest lil_liz

Didnt you just start a great new job with a clothing line or something? Too bad things didnt work out for you here. I know its been a struggle.

great for experience but not the best company. It's not worth me working 7 days a week. Plus I have so much waiting for me in Chicago. Gave it a shot, now I got it out of my system.

Guest raverdoll

sweety try the newtimes online in the classified section for bars and clubs...

and as for what they are saying about being short... pure bullshit... i've been bartending for the past 7 years with NO problem in high volume clubs and i measure in at a whopping 5 foot 2 so don't get discouraged by these guys... i do recommend starting at a small lounge or restaurant until you get some knowledge and speed...

if you need any more advice feel free to pm me ;)