Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is this a good deal?

Guest Diabolique

My BF, the Yoda of computers, says getting a laptop, even a really old one for less than $500-600 is a very decent deal.

He also calls me CrazyC(chrissie) now, thanks Carissa ;D

sounds like a good buy to me!

Guest web_norah

actually Macboy is 100% dead on

Amazon has a great rebate on Sidekicks, if you're not using the computer for programs and other stuff, just email and web surfing that little gadget is sweet.

Guest macboy

Yes there is a dedicated AIM application. I used to have one, but didn't use it enough to justify keeping it. I would recommend it anyway.

Guest web_norah

yeah you subscribe to the T Mobile service or whichever company offers it.........go to Amazon and type sidekick, it'll bring up a whole bunch of options. if you're on the road, it really helps a lot.

Guest macboy

You can get it with either a combined phone/data plan, or just the data plan. SK service is $30/month, or $20 as an add-on to any voice plan. If you don't want to change phone service, just go for the data plan.

Now, is it worth it? Depends how much you use it. Like I said, I wasn't using it enough to justify the extra, albeit minimal, expense. You get a 14 day tryout period, so not much to lose.

Advantage: You can get your email wherever you are as long as there's a T-Mobile signal. With a laptop, you need a phone jack or a WIFI connection. Heck, I sometimes would AIM while driving my car. :P

Disadvantage: If you use it as your phone you look kind of silly holding what looks like a brick to you ear. ;D

Guest LeVeL

Laptop

Compaq Pressario 1200

Windows XP

$400

Im just looking ofr something to take with me on trips so that I can access email. (and CJ of course)

Its a good deal if all you want it for is to surf and burn Cd and DVD-R's for you. The one thing you have to ask yourself when you buy a laptop is? Is it upgradable.

But if you want something to connect you to the internet while you travel and allows you to do everythign a regular PC would do...then go for the sidekick. You can do so much with it and its small as hell. Cant go wrong with that.

By the way when you say Compaq Presario 1200. Do your mean 1200 Pentium Processor Speed? Because if it is...then it negotiable.

By the way when you say Compaq Presario 1200. Do your mean 1200 Pentium Processor Speed? Because if it is...then it negotiable.

I dont know, I just copy and pasted the info I was given. LOL!

But I am looking into the Sidekick as just an internet connection for me (not as a phone).

Im waiting for RollyP to get on this thread and educate me since his is always attached to his thumbs. LOL!

Thanks again for the info guys!

Guest Electric Eel

I dont know, I just copy and pasted the info I was given. LOL!

But I am looking into the Sidekick as just an internet connection for me (not as a phone).

Im waiting for RollyP to get on this thread and educate me since his is always attached to his thumbs. LOL!

Thanks again for the info guys!

Thats exactly what I was going to tell you, ask Rolly, hes always using his.

Guest swirlundergrounder

It's a good deal if it's processor is at least 850 MHZ and it's running a Pentium 3 with 128 MB of RAM..Then I would probably buy it....

Guest Diabolique

the sidekick looks very practical...by Tmoble huh? It might work!. I was thinking of switching to them, cuz my cingular bill is out of the roooooof. $200 a month! cingularbitchessss! >:(

besides, even though it's just for the summer you could keep it to enjoy year 'round...

not a fan of Compaq -had one and as soon as it became a little used, it was on its way to the dumpster.

i'd go with a Dell

i agree 100% my first pc was a COMPCRAP!! dell has great deals go with dell or have someone build u a pc thats what i did :)