Clubplanet Nightlife Community

"Million Dollar Baby" best film of the year?

Guest JMT

Guest JMT

according to NY Times...

Clint Eastwood's "Million Dollar Baby" is the best movie released by a major Hollywood studio this year, and not because it is the grandest, the most ambitious or even the most original. On the contrary: it is a quiet, intimately scaled three-person drama directed in a patient, easygoing style, without any of the displays of allusive cleverness or formal gimmickry that so often masquerade as important filmmaking these days.

and Ebert...

Clint Eastwood's "Million Dollar Baby" is a masterpiece, pure and simple, deep and true. It tells the story of an aging fight trainer and a hillbilly girl who thinks she can be a boxer. It is narrated by a former boxer who is the trainer's best friend. But it's not a boxing movie. It is a movie about a boxer. What else it is, all it is, how deep it goes, what emotional power it contains, I cannot suggest in this review, because I will not spoil the experience of following this story into the deepest secrets of life and death. This is the best film of the year.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest swirlundergrounder

saw a LONG preview for it on sunday @ the theater. i'll probably pass, i hate hillary swank.

Saw the preview for it today on TV. I love Hillary Swank..I'll go see this....

Guest swirlundergrounder

according to NY Times...

Clint Eastwood's "Million Dollar Baby" is the best movie released by a major Hollywood studio this year, and not because it is the grandest, the most ambitious or even the most original. On the contrary: it is a quiet, intimately scaled three-person drama directed in a patient, easygoing style, without any of the displays of allusive cleverness or formal gimmickry that so often masquerade as important filmmaking these days.

and Ebert...

Clint Eastwood's "Million Dollar Baby" is a masterpiece, pure and simple, deep and true. It tells the story of an aging fight trainer and a hillbilly girl who thinks she can be a boxer. It is narrated by a former boxer who is the trainer's best friend. But it's not a boxing movie. It is a movie about a boxer. What else it is, all it is, how deep it goes, what emotional power it contains, I cannot suggest in this review, because I will not spoil the experience of following this story into the deepest secrets of life and death. This is the best film of the year.

I'm sure this will be a good movie but Hollywood seems to favor Clint Eastwood and his films... Remember Unforgiven got more oscars than it deserved and Mystic river was good but it wasn't mind blowing like you were lead to believe.....

Guest JMT

according to NY Times...

and Ebert...

I'm sure this will be a good movie but Hollywood seems to favor Clint Eastwood and his films... Remember Unforgiven got more oscars than it deserved and Mystic river was good but it wasn't mind blowing like you were lead to believe.....

i agree with you on Mystic River. but i think Unforgiven was an outstanding movie. yeah it was slow, but thats life in the old west. the aged character he played was symbolic of every western role he portrayed. it was the perfect segeue for clint entering his twilight years. when compared to the competition that year i think its acclaim was warranted. and he has directed a lot of movies that have had no buzz whatsoever and werent as good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest web_norah

i just saw it last night and yes, definitely well earned awards, beautifully shot, great preparation and acting from Hilary Swank and everyone.

great flick