Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Atlantic tsunami theory...

Guest pod

Guest lyrik

I seen a mini segment on Tv devoted to this and it is pretty amazing to think of....and people usually just dismiss these types of things...but the fact is that this is what happens on Earth and just because we now populate an area it doesn't mean its absurd to think of it happening again. I don't think we should all abandon the coastal areas, but definitely having some type of early warning system would be reassuring - just as in the pacific ocean. I am curious to know how long it would take the waves to hit us though. I guess its would be easy to theorize given the exact distance of the volcano from us and the potential speed of the waves...but I am too lazy too look up those stats...POD?

Guest slamminshaun

Wait a minute. 300 foot waves? ::) The 9.0 earthquake only produced 35 foot waves, and I'm supposed to believe this thing will product 300 foot waves? Maybe if an astroid hit the Atlantic I'd believe that one.

Guest LeVeL

Wait a minute. 300 foot waves? ::) The 9.0 earthquake only produced 35 foot waves' date=' and I'm supposed to believe this thing will product 300 foot waves? Maybe if an astroid hit the Atlantic I'd believe that one.

[/quote']

Exactly if a 9.0 quake only produced 35 foot waves which is tall as fuck in my opinion...there is no way it will happen in the Atlantic. but then again the Atlantic is not as wide as tyhe Pacific Ocean so a shorter distance might create higher wave in thus probably making the waves higher than 35 feet.

Guest slamminshaun

Wait a minute. 300 foot waves? ::) The 9.0 earthquake only produced 35 foot waves' date=' and I'm supposed to believe this thing will product 300 foot waves? Maybe if an astroid hit the Atlantic I'd believe that one.

[/quote']

Exactly if a 9.0 quake only produced 35 foot waves which is tall as fuck in my opinion...there is no way it will happen in the Atlantic. but then again the Atlantic is not as wide as tyhe Pacific Ocean so a shorter distance might create higher wave in thus probably making the waves higher than 35 feet.

Well, actually, the tsunami happened in the Indian Ocean which is smaller then the Atlantic....I think I read that the highest waves (35 feet) happened in Indonesia because the epicenter of the quake was literally a few short miles off the coast.

Guest JMT

i dont know about that..

i always thought in a vacuum wave size would remain constant, but on the real world type environment they weaken a bit over distance due to wind, etc. :-\

and that once the distance to the ocean floor is less than the wavelength, they decrease in size.... :-\

Guest slamminshaun

as waves travel longer distances, they increase in size, and if it were to hit the contintental shelf off the eastern coast of n. america, the size will multiply dramatically.

I don't even claim to understand this stuff, but if that were true, then the waves that hit Somalia should've been the largest of them all since Africa was thousands of miles away. Somalia had it rough, but not nearly as bad as Sri Lanka and Indonesia who were so much closer.

Guest LeVeL

i dont know about that..

i always thought in a vacuum wave size would remain constant, but on the real world type environment they weaken a bit over distance due to wind, etc. :-\

and that once the distance to the ocean floor is less than the wavelength, they decrease in size.... :-\

exactly...the longer the distance the smaller the size of the wave.

Thats why I am saying if a quake of the size of 9.0 would hit the Atlantic...the waves would be taller.

Guest lyrik

[/quote']

The 300 foot waves will only be hitting the closest coasts to the Canary Islands...the waves supposedly lose height with the more distance they travel and the by the time they reach our eastern seaboard they are theoretically only going to be 60 to 150 feet high...the impact of the proposed eruption and the collapse of the volcano is suppose to mirror the effect of an asteroid or meteor hitting the earth...I believe they said the mass that will fall into the Ocean is in the hundred trillions of tons area (not sure on that figure). They think if that type of mass falls at a very sharp rate (90secs for total collapse) that the impact and water displacement will be immense thus causing these proposed mega waves....stranger things have happend in the course of our planets existance and its not over the top to think that these things could happen...will it be in our lifetime - no way to tell...but geological history of our planet indicates that we have had these types of events in our planets history - geoligical time is looked at from very long time spans...where a hundred or even a thousand years is still relatively minute when you think of how old planet actually is. The chances are of course the same as a person being hit by lighting or a meteor striking the Earth.

Guest somefiercehouse

I saw on Headline News yesterday that since the earthquake, Earth's days are actually like a fraction of a second shorter. Anyone know why that is?

Guest antonio

The quake tilted the Earth's rotation, thus making the days 9 milliseconds shorter....

It is nothing to worry about in terms of changing your schedules, but it definitely is scary on geographical terms, especially when the quake also raised the sea level, and some islands off the coast of Maldives, disappeared forever...

Guest lyrik

I saw on Headline News yesterday that since the earthquake, Earth's days are actually like a fraction of a second shorter. Anyone know why that is?

It disrupted the Earth's rotation so I can only assume that is one of the reasons.

Guest somefiercehouse

HOLY MOLEY!

That is crazy! I cannot even fathom that....an earthquake so strong, it raised the sea level, made islands disappear, AND disrupted the earth's rotation!!!!! That can't be good.

Guest swirlundergrounder

i learned about this in college....scary shit, man. it'd take about 5 hours to reach us....

Actually they said 9 hours.....