Clubplanet Nightlife Community

NASA Launches comet smashing spacecraft

Guest swirlundergrounder

Guest swirlundergrounder

Why would they do this unless it was on course to hit Earth? They've never done this to any other comet in the past...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. Jan 12, 2005 — A NASA spacecraft with a Hollywood name Deep Impact blasted off Wednesday on a mission to smash a hole in a comet and give scientists a glimpse of the frozen primordial ingredients of the solar system.

With a launch window only one second long, Deep Impact rocketed away at the designated moment on a six-month, 268-million-mile journey to Comet Tempel 1. It will be a one-way trip that NASA hopes will reach a cataclysmic end on the Fourth of July.

"We are on our way," said an excited Michael A'Hearn of the University of Maryland, the mission's chief scientist. Minutes later, the spacecraft shot out of Earth's orbit and onto its collision course.

"We'll be there July Fourth," NASA launch director Omar Baez said.

It was not until later in the afternoon much later than expected that scientists learned that Deep Impact's energy-producing solar panel had deployed properly. Although the spacecraft appeared to be healthy, it placed itself in a protective "sleep" mode because of an unknown problem, and flight controllers were reviewing strange sensor data, NASA said. The problem was not believed to be critical.

Scientists are counting on Deep Impact to carve out a crater in Comet Tempel 1 that could swallow the Roman Coliseum. It will be humans' first look into the heart of a comet, a celestial snowball still containing the original building blocks of the sun and the planets.

Because of the relative speed of the two objects at the moment of impact 23,000 mph no explosives are needed for the job. The force of the smashup will be equivalent to 4 1/2 tons of TNT, creating a flash that just might be visible in the dark sky by the naked eye in one spectacular Fourth of July fireworks display.

Nothing like this has ever been attempted before.

Little is known about Comet Tempel 1, other than that it is an icy, rocky body about nine miles long and three miles wide. Scientists do not even know whether the crust will be as hard as concrete or as flimsy as corn flakes.

"One of the scary things is that we won't actually know the shape and what it looks like until after we do the encounter," said Jay Melosh, a planetary geologist at the University of Arizona.

The comet will be more than 80 million miles from Earth when the collision takes place on the sunlit side of the comet, NASA hopes, in order to ensure good viewing by spacecraft cameras and observatories. The resulting crater is expected to be two to 14 stories deep, and perhaps 300 feet in diameter.

Scientists stress that Deep Impact will barely alter the comet's orbital path around the sun and will not put either the comet or a chunk of it on a collision course with Earth. In the 1998 movie "Deep Impact," astronauts try to blow up a comet in hopes of saving the Earth, but the comet winds up being split in two and one section slams into the Atlantic, creating a huge tsunami on the East Coast.

A jagged, cratered comet like the one headed for Earth in the movie would be difficult if not impossible to hit because of all the shadows, Melosh said. Comet Tempel 1 is believed to be smoother and easier to strike, unlike that "Hollywood nightmare."

The scientists came up with the Deep Impact name independently of the movie studio, around the same time, neither knowing the other was choosing it, even though some members of NASA's Deep Impact team were consultants on the picture.

Deep Impact is carrying the most powerful telescope ever sent into deep space. It will remain with the mother ship when the copper-fortified impactor springs free the day before the comet strike, and will observe the event from a safe 300 miles away.

NASA space telescopes like the Hubble will also watch the collision, along with ground observatories and amateur astronomers. The impactor will have a camera, too, that will snap pictures virtually all the way in.

The entire mission costs $330 million, all the way through the grand finale.

Guest JMT

Why would they do this unless it was on course to hit Earth? They've never done this to any other comet in the past...

they also never went to the moon.... UNTIL they decided to go to the moon.

Guest swirlundergrounder

they also never went to the moon.... UNTIL they decided to go to the moon.

What kind of double talk is that?

Guest swirlundergrounder

supposedly this will give them insights into the origin of our solar system. i think it's a bunch of crap

I agree. they're trying to cover up a possible E.L.E

Guest LdySphynx

supposedly this will give them insights into the origin of our solar system. i think it's a bunch of crap

I agree. they're trying to cover up a possible E.L.E

Holy Crap, that is some Scary Shit.........of course they are not going to tell us, they never will until they see it is completely hopeless and that the comet will strike us!!!!

In other words we're screwed either way!!!!!

Guest swirlundergrounder

I'm gonna get in my black helicopter and scare all of you.

Oh that remote controlled helicopter you got at the hobbie store? 'Blue Thunder'

Guest swirlundergrounder

PM me when you guys are ready to give up all your possessions. i hear this will hit next month.

What are you going to do with them?

Guest JMT

PM me when you guys are ready to give up all your possessions. i hear this will hit next month.

oh, and some extra money you might have too please. im going to give it all to poor people, along with all of my possessions and money so they can enjoy stuff they might never have had before, even if it might only be for a short while, it might make a difference in their lives.

please PM me your address and when is a good time to swing by to pickup. the earlier the better, gives them more time.

Guest LdySphynx

What are you going to do with so many "Toys"???

Guest swirlundergrounder

oh, and some extra money you might have too please. im going to give it all to poor people, along with all of my possessions and money so they can enjoy stuff they might never have had before, even if it might only be for a short while, it might make a difference in their lives.

please PM me your address and when is a good time to swing by to pickup. the earlier the better, gives them more time.

You can have all my things if you can get past my dog (my fingers are crossed behind my back)

Guest JMT

You can have all my things if you can get past my dog (my fingers are crossed behind my back)

i think these people will appreciate money more than anything. any you can part with would be wonderful and mean a lot to them. this comet is going to be here soon. :'(

let me know asap.

Guest swirlundergrounder

i think these people will appreciate money more than anything. any you can part with would be wonderful and mean a lot to them. this comet is going to be here soon. :'(

let me know asap.

Why so you can start your own 'Noah's Ark' of sorts??

Guest JMT

let me know asap.

what? im not collecting animals. you either want to help these poor people for a happy, short while or you dont.

Guest swirlundergrounder

let me know asap.

what? im not collecting animals. you either want to help these poor people for a happy, short while or you dont.

I know not animals. I said 'A Noah's Ark of sorts'....Besides I already donated to the cause... and soliciated donating to the relief efforts....

Guest JMT

let me know asap.

I know not animals. I said 'A Noah's Ark of sorts'....Besides I already donated to the cause... and soliciated donating to the relief efforts....

the comet is coming! we dont need our money much longer.

Guest swirlundergrounder

let me know asap.

OK that's a bright idea. Lets give all of our money to the tsunami victims so that they can rebuild only to be destroyed again by an asteroid headed our way which would have a 70% chance of landing in water thus causing another tsunami and destroying everything......smart JMT....If I were you I would take all the money we have and build a spaceship to go nowhere since we did nothing with the space program for nearly 30 years. there should be a Starbuck's on the moon by now!!.......It's 2005 people!!!!!!

Guest JMT

let me know asap.

OK that's a bright idea. Lets give all of our money to the tsunami victims so that they can rebuild only to be destroyed again by an asteroid headed our way which would have a 70% chance of landing in water thus causing another tsunami and destroying everything......smart JMT....If I were you I would take all the money we have and build a spaceship to go nowhere since we did nothing with the space program for nearly 30 years. there should be a Starbuck's on the moon by now!!.......It's 2005 people!!!!!!

who the heck said anything about tsunami victims? i said give ME your money and I will give it to poor people HERE.

this thing is coming! its going to kill us all!

Guest LdySphynx

let me know asap.

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!