Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Hot 97 NYC has sunk to an all time low, even for hip hop..

V. Barbarino

http://www.hiphopmusic.com/index.html

To listen, here is the link:

http://www.thesilent1.com/USA_For_Indonesia.mp3

For those who can't play the mp3 at work, here are the lyrics

..All at once you could hear the screaming ch*nks and no one was safe from the wave there were africans drowning, little chinamen swept away you could hear god laughing, "swim you b*tches swim"

So now you're screwed, it's the Tsunami

you better run or kiss your ass away, go find your mommy

I just saw her float by, a tree went through her head

and now the children will be sold to child slavery...

NY post text is below

January 22, 2005 -- A popular hip-hop radio show is in hot water over a parody that mocked victims of the South Asian tsunami catastrophe, calling them "screaming chinks" and "little Chinamen."

Yonkers-based Asian Media Watch accuses the WQHT/Hot 97 "Miss Jones in the Morning" show of "repeated racist attitudes" and demands the program's "elimination."

"The host broadcasts a horrifying song that mocks the dead South Asian tsunami victims, uses the racial slurs 'chink' and 'Chinamen,' and calls the drowning victims 'bitches,' " said AMW director Kai Yu in a letter to Hot 97's John Dimick.

Station-owner Emmis Communications issued an apology late yesterday.

"We apologize to our listeners and to anyone who was offended," Dimick said. "[The show's entire seven-person staff] has agreed to contribute one-week's pay to the tsunami-relief efforts." John Mainelli

Guest ImAlwaysDancing

Wow, that is really disgusting. The scary part is that i am sure many moronic 97.1 listeners were laughing like a**holes.

Brings on a whole new pespective to censorship.

Guest LeVeL

those are some wack lyriks...

But 97.1 definetely dropped the ball...which makes me wonder if the morning show host apologized right after that MC dropped that rhyme?

If the host never apologized then they do deserve a nasty fine for having those rhymes aired on their radio station.

Guest pod

Was it wrong? Hell yeah.

A fine deserved? Hell no. The FCC gets way out of hand with that as it is.

The rapper will get what's coming to him without government intervention, thank you very much.

Guest ImAlwaysDancing

What the hell is 7 people's 1 week salary gonna do??? That's pretty retarded if you ask me. The more i read those lyrics i just am in disbelief that anyone can be so heartless and stupid to create/air something like this.

Guest JMT

UPDATE

------------------------------------------------------

Radio station pulls show over tsunami slur

HOT 97 morning show ridiculed victims

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 Posted: 2:08 PM EST (1908 GMT)

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- The entire staff of the New York radio show "Miss Jones in the Morning" was taken off the air on Wednesday after broadcasting a song that ridiculed victims of the tsunami in South Asia, the radio station said.

New York FM radio station WQHT, or HOT 97, repeatedly ran the segment last week on the show, hosted by deejay Tarsha Nicole Jones who uses the on-air name Miss Jones.

Jones and her team were suspended indefinitely, according to publicist Lizzie Grubman, who declined to say whether Jones would feature in another show at a later date.

"What happened is morally and socially indefensible," said Rick Cummings, president of Emmis Radio. The station is owned by Emmis Communications Corp.

"All involved, myself included, are ashamed and deeply sorry. I know the members of the morning show are truly contrite. They know their actions here are inexcusable," Cummings said in a statement.

The piece used racial slurs to describe people swept away in the disaster, made jokes about child slavery and people watching their mothers die.

"You can hear God laughing, 'Swim you b**ches swim,' " was one line in the song, sung by staff of the show to the melody of the 1985 famine relief song "We Are the World.".....

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/01/26/quake.slur.reut/index.html

Guest vegasguy25
I know the members of the morning show are truly contrite. They know their actions here are inexcusable," Cummings said in a statement.

Bullshit. Anyone who would do something as horrible as what they did is not the type of person who would be sorry about it.

Guest DrFired

damn that's old school stuff...didn't Al B Silk was doing that when he was at 99 jamz and then started doing that in power 96 and now the Baker Boys are doing it.

Guest LdySphynx

Get this, I was listening to Kenny & Footy in the morning, and they were talking about how Sick that was.....so one of the employees from the 97 calls in saying that "sometimes you have to make fun of tragedy"!!!!

Kenny was like "What" you're sick, and said i'm done talking to you!!!!

WTF, you have to make fun of tragedy.....what kind of a response is that!!!

I hope the fucking fire those fuckheads!!!!

Guest JMT

when you listen to it, its totally premeditated.... they obviously took a bit of time to create it and sing it in some attempted humorous manner. the way it sounds makes it clear they are derranged and didnt think they were doing anything tasteless and/or sick.

Guest scarab

Did anyone really expect that Hip Hop was classy or humane enough to handle helping this tragic event in a kind and compassionate way? ???

Boycott all Hip-Hop!! ;D