Clubplanet Nightlife Community

ATTN: THEHAMMER

BobbyTrendy

"I have been reading these cooljunkie posts from time to time for a couple of years now. Maybe a little more often lately because all of the changes that have been taking place on the beach and downtown. I had never registered, not sure why, but I couldn't take it anymore!!...I would like to start by saying that most of the people on these boards DON'T HAVE A CLUE!!!!...about anything regarding Music/Clubs/DJ's or anything else that has to do with this industry. "

According to your quote taken from the og thread, we on CJ, "DON'T HAVE A CLUE!!!!...."

Can YOU fill us in then? What are we missing? Can we sign up for a class on HOW to gain a clue from thehammer???? Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks! Oh, and welcome to CJ ;)

Guest thehammer

"I have been reading these cooljunkie posts from time to time for a couple of years now. Maybe a little more often lately because all of the changes that have been taking place on the beach and downtown. I had never registered, not sure why, but I couldn't take it anymore!!...I would like to start by saying that most of the people on these boards DON'T HAVE A CLUE!!!!...about anything regarding Music/Clubs/DJ's or anything else that has to do with this industry. "

According to your quote taken from the og thread, we on CJ, "DON'T HAVE A CLUE!!!!...."

Can YOU fill us in then? What are we missing? Can we sign up for a class on HOW to gain a clue from thehammer???? Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks! Oh, and welcome to CJ ;)

My quote stated that MOST of the people dont have a clue. I guess you feel that you fall into that group. This is what I try to accomplish when heading out into clubland:

1. Try not to spend your time listening to DJ's playin' the same tired ass records week in and week out. A little tough to do in Miami, but it can be done.

2. Avoid venues where you are treated like they're doing you the favor by letting you in. Especially the ones where you feel like you're gonna get shaken down at any second by some agro-security loser who thinks he owns the place.

3. Try and find cool parties and listen to sets so that when you get home you feel like you gained something...Listening to 93.1 all day (which is by far THE WORST radio station I ever heard).. and then going to listen to one of these clowns playing the same crap! ...i would rather stick needles in my eyes.

Showing up for the Saturday night cattle call is for sure one way you will not gain anything. I read an email where LP was banning anyone who went to crobar, or went to see cue play anywhere!...hilarious. Is that supposed to put a scare in people?? Is LP doing me a favor by letting me into his meatgrinder? I think not. I would much rather hang out at a club where the staff/owners are appriciative of me coming, and spending my hard earned $$$ in there place. I want to go to a party where the DJ is running shit. Cedric stopped his party at Amika cause LP was gonna pull the plug on his Saturday.. If Cedric had his shit together and was a confident DJ, he would have told LP to go fuck off. I guess not. Does he also tell Cedric what records to play?...Stupid ass Saleen wrote "things change in NY so fast you wouldn't believe it" The reason for this is, in NY there is a community where lots of promoters/DJ's are supporting each other and the music they are playing. . It's because lots of DJ's up there are playing cutting edge music. Trying to be ahead of the curve. Something Miami is lacking. Most people down here just want to hear the latest Tiesto masterpiece. So Lola, I hope you got something out of this. Don't go to parties because there's a flyer with someone that looks like Tiesto on it. There are lots of DJ's down here that have amazing talent that, unfortunately dont get the exposure they deserve.

Guest pod

Umm I've been back and forth between Space and crobar plenty of times, and I'm not banned from either venue.

These 'cool parties' that you speak of can be a pain in the ass too. If the DJ is trying too hard to "educate", the room is either empty or the crowd is a bunch of chin-stroking morons who would rather sip their cocktails and stare at the DJ all night. Or even worse, trainwrecking and listening to static is passed off as "innovation" .

Guest LdySphynx

I think i might have to bust out the old mc hammer pants, anyone got a pair I can borrow.... :P

Oh shit, I used to have them bitches.....Mustard,Red, & Black!!!!

Guest lyrik

Or even worse, trainwrecking and listening to static is passed off as "innovation" .

Wait a damn second here ...you're telling me its not?

oh flarb!

Guest saintjohn
Or even worse, trainwrecking and listening to static is passed off as "innovation"

I've been to that party, too. I'm tempted to post a few names, but I don't need the drama.

Guest bootstah

I think i might have to bust out the old mc hammer pants, anyone got a pair I can borrow.... :P

Oh shit, I used to have them bitches.....Mustard,Red, & Black!!!!

GOLD! I mean literally, a friend of mine had fookin gold ones they cracked me up, how cool was she? hahahhaha

Guest Electric Eel
Cedric stopped his party at Amika cause LP was gonna pull the plug on his Saturday..

I was there last night and he was there in the dj booth ???

Guest coach

Can YOU fill us in then? What are we missing? Can we sign up for a class on HOW to gain a clue from thehammer???? Any insight is appreciated.[

/quote]

My quote stated that MOST of the people dont have a clue. I guess you feel that you fall into that group. This is what I try to accomplish when heading out into clubland:

1. Try not to spend your time listening to DJ's playin' the same tired ass records week in and week out. A little tough to do in Miami, but it can be done.

2. Avoid venues where you are treated like they're doing you the favor by letting you in. Especially the ones where you feel like you're gonna get shaken down at any second by some agro-security loser who thinks he owns the place.

So, are you going to elucidate, or just insult. Where exactly do you go that is so much better? What DJs should we be looking out for? You claim to know better, but you haven't shown that's true. Lola asked you the same thing, and you didn't answer her, either. So, what is up?

Guest ramon

Umm I've been back and forth between Space and crobar plenty of times, and I'm not banned from either venue.

These 'cool parties' that you speak of can be a pain in the ass too. If the DJ is trying too hard to "educate", the room is either empty or the crowd is a bunch of chin-stroking morons who would rather sip their cocktails and stare at the DJ all night. Or even worse, trainwrecking and listening to static is passed off as "innovation" .

its not static .. it goes click beep and boom and the only time there was trainwreckin' was when i was behind the decks.

There are lots of DJ's down here that have amazing talent that, unfortunately dont get the exposure they deserve.

completely agree with this though.

Guest thehammer

This is starting to turn in the wrong direction, my original post was to point out to idiots like Saleen who bash DJ's on a regular basis and have no respect for what they are doing. I appreciate all kinds of music...I may not like all of it, but I do appreciate the fact that some people even get there rocks off listening to the cheesiest tiesto nonsense. Thats fine if its what you're into. If you feel like paying money to get into a club to hear the same music you heard all day on the radio, just really loud, thats ok too. Pod wrote that I sas talking about 'cool parties'....It has nothing to do with that. I'm all for the commercial stuff if its being played well. If the vibe is there and the DJ is destroying the place with music I dont really care for, I would probably stick around just to see why people are freaking out. There are ways of dj's educating crowds with killer underground stuff, along with tunes that everyone knows. Thats what makes a good DJ. The first party that comes to mind is the Sundance party at Amika. Cue and Stephan have an amazing party on Sundays. Those guys are trying to push the envelope. The times Iv'e been there I'm never disappointed by what is going on. They're taking chances, playing b-sides, and dubs no one else would have the balls to bring with them, let alone play. Along with the usual favorites mixed in to their set, they have the entire club with the lights on at 5am screaming for one more song....and the fact that I get treated like a human being when I walk in there, make for a killer party. There are a lot of elements to create a good party. There's a lot of talent that LP books for his cattle call, that I would love to go hear. But the fact that his club is so uncomfortable, and staffed with the goon squad and bartenders that constantly try to short change you cause they think you're fucked up, I will wait to see them elsewhere. Again, if you're into getting treated like a cow when your trying to have a good time and spend some money...that's fine too. The Aquabooty parties. Another example of people doing something a little more creative than the norm. They're booking DJ's that most of this town probably never heard of. Maybe a little too deep for the average 'meatgrinder' going crack babies...but still, very well produced events. Juan Mejia at Pawn Shop, Saturdays. Loving it right now. Juan is playing an open format there. He's mixing house, hip-hop, classics and whatever else he deems necessary. He's properly mixing all of these formats together flawlessly. Again I might not be into some of the music, but he is killing it over there. The energy he creates in that room is how it is supposed to be. I never said all of you freaks didn't know what was going on...just alot. People making stupid comments like Saleen, "this is cedric's space...cedric's miami" ...so idiotic. Saleen do you stand by the booth hoping for cedric to come out so maybe you can touch him or something?....Dude tell him you have the Stang in the lot...I know he rolls with a lot of chicks, but I think he might have some sugar in his tank. Go for it..I think you've got a shot!....

As I promised....lesson two

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0967899400/102-3363835-0909713

very good reading...even explains where the 12" came from. So all you dumbasses can educate yourselves before DJ's stop playing vinyl altogether.....javascript:replaceText('%20::)')

Guest avenue33
Cedric stopped his party at Amika cause LP was gonna pull the plug on his Saturday..

You obviously have no clue what LP looks like. :P

Guest pod

Believe me, I know my nightlife history. I know where the 12" came from....former model Tom Moulton actually, with the best mastering of the day done by Herbie Powers and his crew...the resident of the club you love to hate has had some of his early work mastered by Powers. Look for the etching.

Bear in mind I wasn't actually there, being a scant 6 or 7 years old when the Garage was in full force, and people like Benitez and Larry Levan ruled the "underground" scene as it was. Concurrently you had the rise of the owner-as-god concept furthered by people like Peter Gatien and Steve Rubell.

Two different schools of thought. Some owners get along with their DJs, allowing legends like the above to develop. I'd like to think Space allows a lot of freedom in that respect. Even the neophyte DJs get the warm welcome there...VIP director comes up and asks if they want anything to drink and all.

Conversely, a lot of places have the DJ-as-god concept going as well. That is the trickier method of doing business. The DJ has to be fantastic for that to happen, and I'm talking like Tenaglia quality.

Certain parties like Sundance work not just because of the DJs and the music, but from the promotions and the crowd as well. You're right that Stefan and co. drop these B-sides and so forth, but at the same time it is recognizable as a danceable tune. However, I wouldn't say they rule Amika.

That being said, I think the root of the problem here is that you come out swinging about the way our membership is here, based solely on the fact that we don't go to these events you do.

Guest Electric Eel

I was saying that Cedric was there not LP

Guest avenue33

oops, in that case, of course cedric was there ;D

Guest Electric Eel

oops, in that case, of course cedric was there ;D

:-*