Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Green Day is a dud of the month

Guest web_norah

Guest web_norah

best review ever..from a NY Village Voice writer

ps months ago i remember saying this band was great circa 1990's.....and so tired now......read on:

Dud of the Month

GREEN DAY

American Idiot

(Reprise)

If you're wondering what this concept album means, don't labor over the lyric booklet. As Billie Joe knows even if he doesn't come out and say it—he doesn't come out and say lots of obvious stuff—this is a visual culture. So examine the cover. That red grenade in the upraised fist? It's also a heart—a bleeding heart. Which he heaves as if it'll explode, only it won't, because he doesn't have what it takes to pull the pin. The emotional travails of two clueless punks—one passive, one aggressive, both projections of the auteur—stand in for the sociopolitical content that the vague references to Bush, Schwarzenegger, and war (not any special war, just war) are thought to indicate. There's no economics, no race, hardly any compassion. Joe name-checks America as if his hometown of Berkeley was in the middle of it, then name-checks Jesus as if he's never met anyone who's attended church. And to lend his maunderings rock grandeur, he ties them together with devices that sunk under their own weight back when the Who invented them. Sole rhetorical coup: makes being called a "faggot" something to aspire to, which in this terrible time it is. C PLUS

Guest Davenavarro10

I've got to agree with Norah. I mean what is the big deal about Greenday all of a sudden? I liked them about 11 years ago when I was a freshman in High School. I will admit that they are better than most punk bands nowadays. They put bands like Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, and New Found Glory to shame. But those bands suck to begin with.

Guest web_norah

about 80% of rockers today are a bunch of wusses that were made up for TRL, they aint hard anymore and neither is their music.