Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What would you do?

V. Barbarino

Guest Slide On The Ice

I don't have any links or dates or names for the details, but this sort of reminds me of what happened a few years ago at a children's hockey game, when two dads got into an argument over their kid's game, and one beat the other dad without mercy until he died.

i think it was the referee who got killed.

I didn't think so when I read that, so I did a quick Google search and had to put in 3 different topics before I got the right one (hockey game fights leading to death, death at kid's hockey game, and then rink rage death was the winning ticket.). It was between two fathers, not a referee.

http://www.bnet.com/abstract.aspx?&scid=1729&docid=66302

Guest saintjohn
I'd have to fight dirty. But then you're the bad guy, and wind up getting charged by the police, somehow.

There's a legal concept called "disparity of force" which recognizes the need to "fight dirty." Disparity of force can be established in several ways:

Force of numbers - The bad guys outnumber the good guys.

Disability - The good guy is on crutches, the bad guy is not. If the good guy becomes disabled during the course of a previously "fair" fight, this criteria can suddenly become applicable.

Gender - The good guy becomes the bad guy if he fights a woman, even if she's a heavyweight kickboxer. The courts tend to see this as an issue of cultural predispositioning, and of the average size and upper body strength of men versus women. In most cases, gender trumps size and strength considerations.

Relative size - Skinny good guy versus bodybuilder bad guy. If the smaller good guy hits the giant bad guy with a beer bottle, he'll probably get charged with something. A good criminal attorney can beat it, unless the bad guy is crippled or killed as a result. Plea bargain before the first trial, or spend your life's savings on an appeal. The choice is yours.

Skill - The good guy knows that the bad guy is a blackbelt or is otherwise recognized as an expert in hand-to-hand combat. If you get into a fist fight with Steven Segal down at the local pool hall, you can probably smack him with a cue without fear of serious jail time. But don't count on it.

My point, and I do have one, is that if you can explain why bludgeoning some bully with a fire extinguisher was the only way to escape death or grave bodily harm, the courts will not punish you for "fighting dirty."

That's my understanding, anyway. If you want legal advice, talk to your attorney.

Lola, in case you still hadn't seen the video, a bunch of people were standing on line in a take-out pizza place. A woman came in and cut in front of everyone else, and then spit in the face of the guy behind the counter when he told her to go back...and then yelled at some guy at the back of the line for apparently telling her off. Then her man came in, a big guy who overmatched the guy at the back, and opened a can of whup ass on the guy's head, even after he fell unconsious, he kept beating him.

I don't know what is more sickening, that a man was beaten so badly with no justification; or that another man went out of control and his anger was so intense that he would have kept beating him until he was dead most likely.

I don't have any links or dates or names for the details, but this sort of reminds me of what happened a few years ago at a children's hockey game, when two dads got into an argument over their kid's game, and one beat the other dad without mercy until he died.

hey thanks slide.. i didn't see the video yet. I figured something like that happened...

its a sad situation and i feel for the guy that got his ass kicked.

That hockey story was horrible.. I remember that very well. My dad coached LIttle League Football for over 12 years - i grew up with it.. We've had some heated arguements between parents/coaches, etc.. but nothing ever turned violent....

Guest JMT

i think it was the referee who got killed.

I didn't think so when I read that, so I did a quick Google search and had to put in 3 different topics before I got the right one (hockey game fights leading to death, death at kid's hockey game, and then rink rage death was the winning ticket.). It was between two fathers, not a referee.

http://www.bnet.com/abstract.aspx?&scid=1729&docid=66302

thats the one i was thinking of. the guy who was killed was also refereeing the scrimage.

http://www.courttv.com/trials/junta/010802_ctv.html

Guest Slide On The Ice

Well then, I do stand corrected (I'm sitting, but you know). :)Yah, I hadn't remembered that part of the story, I don't hink the referee role was emphasised in the media by me.

I also just remembered the incident of the teen hockey player who slammed head first into the wall during a game, and laid on the ice for a long time with his team standing over him. His father came out and said, son, get up...and the son said, I can't move. His neck was broken and he was paralyzed. God that was awful hearing about that. But, that is way off topic, not about rink rage, nor pizza house fighting. But it came to my mind. :-[