Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Indy 500 debate - Danica Patrick

Guest JMT

Does 100 pound Danica Stewart have an advantage over heavier drivers?  

1. 1. Does 100 pound Danica Stewart have an advantage over heavier drivers?

Guest JMT

calling any racing fans out there... got into a big debate with some friends on sunday over this. when a car only weighs 1525 pounds, how much of an effect is a 50 - 100 pound difference going to have on speed and fuel consumption over 500 miles, as in this chick's case? the cars are weight limited without the driver being considered. i say its an advantage. some racing teams estimate she can get close to 1 mph better per lap, which is huge in racing. what say you?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/racing/more/05/29/bc.car.irl.indy500noteb.ap/index.html

I agree that she is somewhat at an advantage as she weighs probably on average 50-75lbs less... even 100 lbs less than some of the guys that are 200 lbs...

Now that she's proven to be a serious contender (i hope she does win a race this year) - perhaps indy car will use the same rules as nascar and weigh car + driver.

Regardless of any advantage, she kicked ass yesterday... she had a fast car.. if she would have had a full tank, she would have beaten Weldon at the end...

i watched the last 30 laps.. it was awesome. very exciting...

Guest durrtylexx

I said yes, I don't really follow racing but, I hear about these guys, the train like any other athlete. Racing is a science and think that she has an over all weight advantage. These race crews measure every little thing when racing.

Guest durrtylexx

perhaps indy car will use the same rules as nascar and weigh car + driver.

they should follow that rule, btw lola, the Piston's SUCK. ;)

Guest saintjohn

At 200+ mph, aerodynamic drag is a much, much greater concern. These guys just want an excuse ready in case they get "beaten by a girl."

Guest saintjohn

Years ago, after Ferrari won some Gran Prix race, the team discovered that their car was actually underweight (they were checking it on their own scale before sending it to the official post-race weigh-in). To make it heavier, the mechanics decided to "top off" the engine oil (which was allowed under the rules at the time) and completely filled the crankcase. The engine wouldn't turn over due to the hydraulic resistance, but it didn't matter (according to the rule book, anyway). Racing really is a team sport.

Guest slamminshaun

I went with "yes". Many sports have weight limits and height limits to prevent unfair advantages. For example, a baseball owner pulled a stunt one time putting a midget to the plate. Needless to say, the midget walked on four straight balls causing the opposition to lose. Shortly thereafter, a height limit was imposed.

For example' date=' a baseball owner pulled a stunt one time putting a midget to the plate. Needless to say, the midget walked on four straight balls causing the opposition to lose. Shortly thereafter, a height limit was imposed.

[/quote']

Link to this article please... sounds interesting.

Guest slamminshaun

For example, a baseball owner pulled a stunt one time putting a midget to the plate. Needless to say, the midget walked on four straight balls causing the opposition to lose. Shortly thereafter, a height limit was imposed.

Link to this article please... sounds interesting.

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/G/Gaedel_Eddie.stm

Ask and ye shall receive.

Guest swirlundergrounder

calling any racing fans out there... got into a big debate with some friends on sunday over this. when a car only weighs 1525 pounds, how much of an effect is a 50 - 100 pound difference going to have on speed and fuel consumption over 500 miles, as in this chick's case? the cars are weight limited without the driver being considered. i say its an advantage. some racing teams estimate she can get close to 1 mph better per lap, which is huge in racing. what say you?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/racing/more/05/29/bc.car.irl.indy500noteb.ap/index.html

The arguement is moot because not all Indy car drivers weight the same or are the same height etc.......If it made a big difference then all the men would be the size of horse racing jockies...

Guest JMT

The arguement is moot because not all Indy car drivers weight the same or are the same height etc.......If it made a big difference then all the men would be the size of horse racing jockies...

i dont see what you are saying at all. she is the lightest driver by far, thus this is getting attention. i dont know if you follow racing at all, but 1 mph per lap in a 500 mile race = AN ETERNITY. there is so much technology that goes into the cars, they even weigh out how much gas to take on precisely to the ounce to make the car as light as possible. thus, its a valid issue.

Guest swirlundergrounder

i dont see what you are saying at all. she is the lightest driver by far, thus this is getting attention. i dont know if you follow racing at all, but 1 mph per lap in a 500 mile race = AN ETERNITY. there is so much technology that goes into the cars, they even weigh out how much gas to take on precisely to the ounce to make the car as light as possible. thus, its a valid issue.

Well before she came along who was the driver who weighed the least? It was a man right? So why all the fuss now that the lightest driver is a woman now? That is why this is a moot arguement.

Guest JMT

Well before she came along who was the driver who weighed the least? It was a man right? So why all the fuss now that the lightest driver is a woman now? That is why this is a moot arguement.

he didnt weigh 100 pounds, you can bet on that. when the disparity between the biggest and smallest is close to 100 pounds, anyone in racing will admit it makes a difference to the car. you can call it moot all you want and buy into the happy "Rah-Rah-look-how-nice-it-is-a-woman-can-drive-as-good-as-a man!" PR machine, but i dont. racing is a technical sport.

Guest swirlundergrounder

he didnt weigh 100 pounds, you can bet on that. when the disparity between the biggest and smallest is close to 100 pounds, anyone in racing will admit it makes a difference to the car. you can call it moot all you want and buy into the happy "Rah-Rah-look-how-nice-it-is-a-woman-can-drive-as-good-as-a man!" PR machine, but i dont. racing is a technical sport.

So if a car is lighter and as a result would get better gas mileage then why did she run low on fuel with 7 laps to go? Don't tell me that she doesn't know how to manage her fuel...

Guest JMT

So if a car is lighter and as a result would get better gas mileage then why did she run low on fuel with 7 laps to go? Don't tell me that she doesn't know how to manage her fuel...

do you actually think the driver regulates the fuel? and that they just run on one tank the whole time? i understand how it might warm your heart to see a little girl do well against the men, but you cant know much about the sport if you honestly asked me that.

Guest swirlundergrounder

do you actually think the driver regulates the fuel? and that they just run on one tank the whole time? i understand how it might warm your heart to see a little girl do well against the men, but you cant know much about the sport if you honestly asked me that.

Common...you actually think that I think that those cars run on one tank of fuel for the whole race? They do regulate their fuel in certain situations.

Guest JMT

you can't argue with physics, a lighter car will go faster and burn less fuel. gender is pretty much irrelevant to the question.