Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Final Scratch , good or bad..

V. Barbarino

For a local resident dj playing localy every week is finaly scratch a good thing?  

1. 1. For a local resident dj playing localy every week is finaly scratch a good thing?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest aj2234

I've recently talked to a few djs about this, and they all agree, when traveling, FS is a great thing, but being a local resident they would never use it...

why would they not use it being a local resident?

I've recently talked to a few djs about this, and they all agree, when traveling, FS is a great thing, but being a local resident they would never use it...

I'll let the poll run and then i'll answer that...

Guest aj2234

I'll let the poll run and then i'll answer that...

i see nothing wrong with having your entire record collection available to you at all times!

Guest saintjohn

I know a lot of DJs swear by it, but after watching two factory guys try (without much success) to set up a demo of the "new and improved" version Final Scratch at a local store, I'm not convinced that it's reliable enough for me. If it works for you, great, but I wouldn't be comfortable relying on Final Scratch without some sort of CD or vinyl backup (which kinda defeats the purpose). I can appreciate the system's advantages, but I don't "need" to carry around my entire music collection, and I don't enjoy hearing world-class sound systems reveal the sonic deficiencies of typical mp3 files.

Guest andrew_thomas

listen if a dj uses final scratch abroad he is using it local too

u dont just start using final scratch and only take it over seas that just doesnt happen thats bullshit

its like saying local djs cant play off of cds

local djs are usng 80% cds these days anyway so why cant they use final scratch?

oh maybe because people like you and others who really have 2 cents to say about everything wanna find something to complain about

final scratch is great

chances are djs using final scratch will drop better bombs then ones not using it

as a dj it shows me that that dj actually puts time and effort into his sets maybe ging the extra mile to find something rare to put on his laptop or to get the unreleased track out to you or maybe even to drop a new edit that was just whipped up in the studio

Guest Dizm

If anything I would use final scratch at my local club before I lugged it around to travel becasue it takes a while to set up and if your not playing first you have to head dead air while your setting up, unless the club has a sattelite radio you can play meanwhile, or you have to arrive before the club opens and set it all up. I use final scratch at home and sometimes on local gigs, but when I am playing in a strange place I just burn the tracks I want to cd. Actually I am selling final scratch 1.1 becasue I am sellign them and getting numark cdx cd turntables. here is the link if you wanna buy the FS its on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7328175417

Guest pod

That is the thing, with FS, you have to set up in advance. Though newer clubs have the scratch amp as a standard piece of hardware, so you just plug in.

That being said, I don't mind the concept...the trick is you have to make sure your files are of the utmost quality...high-bitrate MP3s, or straight up WAV files...nowadays with HD sizes approaching 1 TB per drive, you can record straight to WAV.

Guest Adam Singer

i dont understand, why bother with final scratch when you can just use cdj's if you don't have the wax...

i think if you are going to bother bringing your laptop to a club you might as well use ableton...

Guest Darwin Castillo

Hmmm, well it seems as people are talking about a way of spinning and I have done so but NOT w Final Scratch. Yes it is with a laptop and people always have a negative look at this way of djing. Some say, vinyl (and there's nothing wrong w that), some say cd's with cdj's but hey, theres a new way to djing and it is with a laptop. Besides FS, I use Virtual DJ (virtualdj.com). The only thing you have to do is plug in, into an RCA jack and you go live without a problem. I would love to see 2 dj's or dj's battles it out, those with cdj's / turn tables vs. laptop users and see what would be the outcome. Could you really tell who's playing what when you dont see them?

Guest eKiTeL

i dont understand, why bother with final scratch when you can just use cdj's if you don't have the wax...

i think if you are going to bother bringing your laptop to a club you might as well use ableton...

I agree 100%

Guest ramon

you might not to carry the wax .. you might not want to fuck with cdj's .. hawtin uses both final scratch and ableton .. you might want to play some edit you did in the studio .. you might want to play some track you got that night all on a familar medium *vinyl* , but with FS2 you can also use it with cdj's. to each their own i've seen FS allow people to play some really damn eclectic sets.

Guest andrew_thomas

how pety have u fuckin people become to even have a topic liek this

hyrda but wtf is virtualdj? that shit mixes the freggin music for you FS is a whole different concept

and a great one at that

cds suck u have to lug around a cd case the same size as a laptop anyway so might as well bring a laptop

besides organizing cds and lableing them and burning them and all that shit is a fuckin hassle

the worst is when u have 2 tracks on the same cd that u wanna mix but u cant cause they are on the same cd

Guest andrew_thomas

since when has being a fuckin electronic nerd and a superstar clubber clash in such ways

some funny ass people i tell ya

honestly unless ur a dj stuff liek this shouldnt matter to a clubber

why dont u people discuss dance moves or some shit

cause just about everyone i see from the boards just stand around on the side of the dancefloor

Guest Darwin Castillo

Posted by: pod Posted on: Today at 02:51:07am

Petty? I think it is great that we're having a debate of a remotely technical nature.

I think its good like Pod said... on any program, even virtualdj (< andrew_thomas), you have to know how to blend and drop songs in right. Shiii, I have even heard real dj's with turntables fuck it up at the club and they are the superstar dj's. No matter what instrument you use to spin, at the end, if you can rock the crowd, what difference does it make. Those who think this is petty or think that a program can mix songs have a lot to learn about the new programs. You still have to have the ear no matter what. If you have updated from a vcr to dvd or even from vinyl to cd, its the same crap. New technology. Dont knock it for something thats good! Most people have to understand one thing, when they dont know something, they wont experiment with it and I know, most dj's wont even touch a computer, its like they are foreign to the piece of machinery. Hey, at the end, use what you like best and just rock the place! CD's Vinyl, a puter, what ev! Oh and by the way, just look at the polls.

Guest andrew_thomas

virtual dj is in no way used by any club dj or any dj with self respect for that matter

final scratch is just an audio platform basicly vinyl, cds, FS

thats all it is basicly it doesnt help the dj mix it doesnt adjust the bm to help the dj all it is doing is playing music

its 110% up to the dj to mix everything

most djs will touch a computer

most djs (real ones atleast) are making edits to thier favorite tracks

are producing& remixing before gigs

are dropping samples and accapellas during thier set(which i HARDLY EVER see miami djs doing)

yea ur correct u have to have an ear for it

but programs like virtual dj are made for people who dont have an ear for it

made for girls so they can make thier own mix cd of thier favorite tunes

Guest Satz

Turtables, CDJ's, Final Scratch, Effects Machines, Ableton; they're all tools to making a better dj and better performer.

I was skeptical about Final Scratch at first, but that was because I used it hooked up to a CDJ. Then I saw Craze using it and realized that if the master of turntablism is using it, there is a method to his madness.

As a former advocate of 'VINYL ONLY' dj'ng, I think that Final Scratch is a great way for dj's to experience the advance of technology while getting back to the roots of vinyl dj'ng all while allowing them to use cdj's at the same time.

Yes, it is difficult to come in and setup Final Scratch, but if you back yourself up with cd's, you can play some tracks on cd while setting up on vinyl and only bring TWO records.

In a short time, you will have dj's controlling the music and the visuals via turntables, dvj's, and laptops...that'll be something to see.

I say, when it comes to adding more technology to dj'ng, bring it on.

Guest siuol_leahcim

I say, when it comes to adding more technology to dj'ng, bring it on.

totally agree :)

Guest lavosdeldiablo

what the hell does final scratch have to do with "proper track selection" ?!?

Guest Devilicious

cause just about everyone i see from the boards just stand around on the side of the dancefloor

You don't know everyone from the boards, or even very many of us if this is actually your opinion.

I am by no means a DJ, and on the contrary am just a regular clubber. However I happen to like learning about the equipment used by the DJs that make me dance, and are honestly an important part of my life!

More information is never a bad thing.

While I have your attention, please let me gently inform you that it is very difficult to read your posts. They are full of broken English and laden with typos. It's difficult to take anything you say seriously when this is the case. Just a friendly reminder :)

Guest JustBeFABOLOUS9

I don't see anything wrong with final scratch.. technology is moving up in the world and yes mixning with cd's and vinyl's is great its keeps the essence of actually "spinning" but I've tried to compare the difference with someone spinning with Final Scratch and without and honestly there's barreellllyy a difference..

As long as it's mixed properly and sounds great then do it

Guest Satz

While I have your attention, please let me gently inform you that it is very difficult to read your posts. They are full of broken English and laden with typos. It's difficult to take anything you say seriously when this is the case. Just a friendly reminder :)

Preach on...