Clubplanet Nightlife Community

To Ipod or not to Ipod?

So, I was talking to a friend online tonight and mentioned that I wanted an Ipod and I thought he was gonna have a heartattack. I didnt have time to get into the convo right then and there so...

What are your opinions?

Why should I Ipod?

Why shouldnt I Ipod?

I am not a computer genius and just need something to store my music in so that I can take to the gym and in the car with me.

Thanks guys! ;D

Guest pod

Not iPod. Go with one of the other manufacturers devices. Creative or Archos come to mind. That way you're not locked into some DRM'ed audio-only solution.

Guest pod

And wipe Steve Jobs' demon seed off your face too.

To put it simply, with an iPod, it is a bit of a hassle to transfer your files to someone else..i.e. if I want a song off of your iPod, it is a bit of a hassle.

Archos, Creative, etc...their devices have more functionality built in, and aren't "locked" like the iPods are. The only thing you're really missing is the fashion statement part, which apparently is really important to some people when purchasing a media player.

I got my Archos AV140 (older model) for like 280. It plays back and records audio, video, and photos.

Guest klit

Creative is no goood. So much it can do but not user friendly at all. A friend had bought one to record from radio broadcastings with it, but to figure out how to delete a clip from the player was a pain as was most of the feautures it could offer.

Archos, I had one of those. The first model they had that could play video and my experience with them was that they had a built a portable computer. It's a pretty bulky thing, its menus were ugly and it was slow to turn on the more u added files to it.

I personally now have the mini ipod. It's very user friendly, its size is convenient, and while it doesn't have all the features many other players have it is what I was looking for. A portable mp3 player.

I'd say go with the ipod if your looking for a small mp3 player thats easy to use.

And about the files being locked on your ipod there are ways around that since nothing is locked on the ipod it's just on the itunes program there is no upload feature. Download a lil program or get the other songs from a friend's computer instead of from their player to your computer.

Guest web_norah

i'll tell you the reasons i love my ipod --

great for the gym

i own the music i buy on itunes (unlike napster or illegal downloads)

i plug it to a stereo when i am away and it works just fine

it is user friendly.

buy or do whatever you like.

Guest web_norah

another reason why i love ipod:

Missy Elliot's The Cookbook, out July 5th, can be preordered now at iTunes. The bonus is that a pre-order comes with a music video for the song "Lose Control." Well, if you really care about videos then it's a bonus. Sure beats the digital booklet that comes with the Bo Bice single.

Guest digital7

I'll be getting my IPOD soon. I was thinking about the iRiver since I've heard so many good things about it, but I just like the IPOD's interface/ user friendliness alot better

Guest digital7

To each his own, but an audio-only player just doesn't do it for me.

I suppose, but it all depends on what you want to do with it..

I just want something to play music, so an IPOD will suffice

Guest pod

Yeah I need photo storage and video capability. What I'm eventually looking for is for PDAs or PDAphones to overcome their anemic storage. 1 gig? I shoot 1 gig a night.

Guest rollyp66

Yeah I need photo storage and video capability. What I'm eventually looking for is for PDAs or PDAphones to overcome their anemic storage. 1 gig? I shoot 1 gig a night.

Ipods can handle photo storage.

Guest macboy

C, go with the ipod. Ignore pod and his anti-Apple ramblings. ;D

Now, what size depends on how much music you have and how much you want to carry and for what purpose (beach, car, gym, walking around, travel, complete audio storage). If the gym is your primary focus, get an ipod mini with 4gb storage. Retail is $199 but Amazon sometimes has it for cheaper, like around $180. It's light, compact and holds more than you need for the gym and comes in many girly colors. There's a 6gb version but if you're bumping up you might as well bump way up to the full size ipod.

If you want to carry around a lot more and go on the CrzyC World Tour (Part 2) with it, you probably want the 20, 30 or 60 gig version white ipod. The 30/60 versions are photo versions and you can offload photos from your digital camera if your camera is compatible.

You can't go wrong with this purchase unless you want to download music from multiple legal sources, which very few people do.

8)

Guest pod

Kludged about though and from a pro standpoint the iPod photo storage solution is horrendous. Archos devices rate high amongst shooters as good multi-purpose devices.

Guest Civs
I am not a computer genius and just need something to store my music in so that I can take to the gym and in the car with me.

I prefer using a PDA. Not only does it work as an MP3 player, video player, holds all my contacts, email, but it can also run a workout program like Pocket Workout. So you'l be able to listen to your tunes and at the same time monitr your workout progress (well if that makes a difference to u). Beats having/buying 2 devices. There are memory cards large enough to suit your music needs. Best of luck :)