Clubplanet Nightlife Community

lets have an open discussion

Guest tiltmiami

Guest tiltmiami

Why do u think more and more clubs are changing their style to top 40 or to hip hop in miami and miami beach.

First wass mansion with the open format now NOc, why are u guys doing that the bussines in downtown is totally differrent then the beach.

Guest tiltmiami

NO i agree but u cant compare Mansion and Noc.

This mix format works at Mansion very well because they are surrounded by TOURIST on the ohter hand Noc some people that arent from here never heard of them.

Guest dirtyhouse777

#1. the ecstasy fad has temporarily subsided. many people would only go out to a club playing edm if they were rolling. otherwise they would be bored or uncomfortable.

#2. relates to reason 1. to a large majority of american males (and i'm sure some females) dancing is considered a wierd or homosexual thing unless a female ass is planted firmly in your crotch.

#3. age restrictions. dance music is a success in other countries because people begin going out at an earlier age. here in the states, hip-hop/thug/pimp culture is promoted and marketed as something cool and normal. it's promoted through radio and mtv, and further the young people in this country lack sophistication and class. thus, in the majority of 18 and up venues the reggaeton and hip-hop is pumping. if you've ever been to an 18 and up event where they have a room playing edm, you'll see it's mostly girls - edm is not a macho thing. americans want something macho and badass.

further backing up that theory, i know so many more girls in the 18-21 range that know about DJs (other than Tiesto) and actually listen to edm in comparison to guys.

i started mixing house records when i was 17. i knew personally probably 20 hip hop DJs around my age. i was the only one mixing house. i'm 21 now, and its still about the same ratio.

i dunno if anyone's been to alvarado's record store lately, but there isnt really any reason to go. all he really stocks now is hip-hop and reggaeton.

take a stroll around sunset place on a friday evening and see the future of miami nightlife. tell me what they're going to want to hear in the club.

the scene is only going to die quicker and quicker....

Guest michael^heaven

---Money is definitely a factor & it's not just occurring in this country, either. MOS went urban, in their main room Saturdays, for quite a while. The Tunnel (Glasgow) completely eliminated their long-running trance night in their main room, replaced it with hip-hop, & stuffed the house action in the back room. Returning Stateside, Simons has gone completely urban in the main room for Saturday & Friday just to stay afloat.

valid points, doubt the scene is gonna die...or it would it would've happen 20-30 some years ago when house first started...

posted by you in a thread not too long ago...

http://www.cooljunkie.com/forums/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=17312;start=msg204182#msg20418

It says the thread doesn't exist.

i guess it was deleted...ask pod for the thread/link video...it was those video bout the foundation of house music and how it all started in chicago ect ect...

Guest coach

Yup. Has to do with the fact that the vast majority of people are followers. If all they hear on the radio and see on TV is pop & hip hop, then that is what they are going to think they want.

With a hip hop nightclub, you have the billions of ad dollars spent by companies like Clear Channel and MTV backing your musical style.

With EDM, of any type, it is more about knowing what you like, or actually liking to dance. It is a more difficult style to promote because it does not have all that backing by the corporate music conglomerates.

Space has pulled it off because, even though they bring down great DJs and have marketed those to the niche EDM market, what they really do in their mass marketing is advertise themselves as THE fun place to be. For them, it is about making sure that everyone knows that *everyone* is going to be there. Same goes for Crobar, really. It's more about the party than the music. The fact that we get to enjoy our favorite type of music is just coincidental.

If you notice, all of the venues that promoted primarily on their music, Nerve, Privilege, NV, um, etc, have gone out of business.

If you throw a good party, the kind of music is less relevant. If you throw a good party WITH mainstream music, these days that is hip hop, then you have more marketing clout because of everyone's familiarity with it.

Guest pod

Space and crobar are the parties, they just happen to bring in big DJ talent on the dance side. It's nice though, because it keeps the flame alive so to speak.

If you read up, the dance world definitely goes in cycles every ten years or so in terms of popularity.

Guest dirtyhouse777

With EDM, of any type, it is more about knowing what you like, or actually liking to dance. It is a more difficult style to promote because it does not have all that backing by the corporate music conglomerates.

Space has pulled it off because, even though they bring down great DJs and have marketed those to the niche EDM market, what they really do in their mass marketing is advertise themselves as THE fun place to be. For them, it is about making sure that everyone knows that *everyone* is going to be there. Same goes for Crobar, really. It's more about the party than the music. The fact that we get to enjoy our favorite type of music is just coincidental.

If you notice, all of the venues that promoted primarily on their music, Nerve, Privilege, NV, um, etc, have gone out of business.

If you throw a good party, the kind of music is less relevant. If you throw a good party WITH mainstream music, these days that is hip hop, then you have more marketing clout because of everyone's familiarity with it.

right on

Guest michael^heaven

Cant wait for this HIP HOP shit to be over with

---Well, you better move outside the U.S. because pop & urban are king Stateside. :-\

Guest Fez

Miami djs are playing the wrong kind of house...

What type of house should they be playing?

classic house tracks :P

Guest swirlundergrounder

Cant wait for this HIP HOP shit to be over with

Unfortunately that's the trend that's happeneing on the beach. You wono't be seeing any decent dance music on the beach within the next 2 to 3 years. It's all moving downtown and west of the beach. Hip Hop brings in way more money into a club than EDM and that will always be the case....

Guest Cosmigonon

Exactly.

Guest coach

Hip Hop brings in way more money into a club than EDM and that will always be the case....

Actually, there's no reason to assume this. Times change, this too will pass. At one point it was disco, then rock/pop, then EDM, now hip hop. In a few years it will be something else. Or maybe cycle back.

Guest LdySphynx

Ok i'm one to give credit where credit is due, and Bruno I have to applaud you on this thread it's an EXCELLENT one!!!!

I guess we caught you on a moment of Soberness :P, J/K sweetie...... :-*.

Guest tiltmiami

Ok i'm one to give credit where credit is due, and Bruno I have to applaud you on this thread it's an EXCELLENT one!!!!

I guess we caught you on a moment of Soberness :P, J/K sweetie...... :-*.

yes u did