Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Who is right and who is wrong?

Guest web_norah

i am not a waitress, nor a bartender ...

never said i was an expert, unlike you "mr know it all"

it is called COMMON SENSE/ COURTESY/ ETC

i tip 99.9 % of times, you have to treat me like crap for me not to leave a tip, you know why? because a lot of service people live from making tips and as a human, i dont have the lack of decency to do that to someone.

you on the other hand, complain over $5 ?

Guest Devilicious

I leave a dollar per beer.

A mixed drink like kettle tonic I'll leave $2.

If I have comps tix's I'll leave $3.

If I know the bartender and they're hooking me up, I'll be generous.

call me cheap, I guess :P

food I leave 20% min. bad service 10% and a fuck u j.k

This is pretty much the standard by which all people SHOULD tip.

Mursa has it right also.

I've worked all angles of bars/restaurants/clubs. As such, I tend to be less forgiving of rude people, and more forgiving of those who appear slammed and are doing their best. Some people don't deserve your dollar. Some deserve a lot more.

I'd like to see the naysayers step behind a busy bar and have 2495874 people screaming for your attention for a solid 5 hours.

One of the most humorous things about being a bartender is watching those assholes who don't tip stand at the bar while we all completely ignore them. Sick gratification, I know, but it is none the less.

Guest mursa

To ensure prompt service .........your right

but what occurs when your being Slammed (as a waitter) and can't refill someones drink order in 2 minutes , but rather do it in 5 minutes ...sometimes greeting tables that just arrived , placing the entree orders into the computer take priority into refilling someones coors light.

..you as a customer also have to take those things into consideration on when evaluating someones Service Efficiency .

Guest Electric Eel

Pay Attention people...

T.I.P.

To

Insure

Promptness...

try again

http://www.wordorigins.org/wordort.htm

The popular explanation of the origin of tip, meaning a gratuity, is that it is an acronym meaning "to insure promptness." This is incorrect.

Tip is underworld cant meaning to pass on, to hand to, especially to pass on a small sum of money. It dates to at least 1610. The verb meaning to give a gratuity dates to about a century later, and the noun dates to at least 1755. And as we've seen many times in these pages, there are no pre-20th century acronymic word origins.

http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/english/ti/tip.html

A folk etymology for tip states it is an acronym that stands for "to insure promptness". However, the Oxford English Dictionary states that is is derived from the English thieves' slang word tip, meaning "to pass from one to another". The notion of a stock tip or racing tip is from the same slang.

Guest web_norah

big ups to Lee, she knows where to do her research

are you feeling totally clueless now Saleen?

i hope so. you got owned big time.

I went to the #2 Hospitality School in the country, UNLV being #1, and my roomates were all HM majors and trust me it's taught at the schools as I put it, the actual definition may be right but not relavant to todays times or this conversation...

If you owned a bar, would you tell your employess what I posted or some word orgin jargon that means nothing??

Guest web_norah

you went to a Hospitality school and you couldn't even pull the same info Lee did?

if you had all that education, you should know that stuff like a mantra. and you obviously didn't.

Guest JMT

as long as the server doesnt majorly fuck something up that is completely in their control (and it usually takes a repeat offense), i always tip 20%. give me good service and ill take care if you. and if i know a bartender is hooking me up i tip even more.