Clubplanet Nightlife Community

This is to some of you computer wizards

I have a small situation...wondering if anyone can help me out by telling me what they think is going on w/ my pc.

The pc is extremelly slow, it takes seconds if not a minute to open files, folders, FF, explorer, pratically anything....when i get online to access a website its not too bad if i dont click on a link where it will redirect me to another page...

This never happened before, unfortunatelly i dont have any anti-virus progs...ive done spybot and adware so far and nothing has come up. Also when I went to do a defrag, it takes 100 times longer, esp when its searching or "relocating" files.

Can this be due to Soulseek? I left it on for the last cpl of days dl sets, can't figure out what the problem is...thinking bout going to bestbuy/compusa and spending the 30-40+ bucks on a decent antivirus software, if it will pick up anything...

Any help will be greatly appreciated

yours trully

Guest pod

free.grisoft.com/ <-- free antivirus software, picks up everything the big boys do. Only thing you're missing is stuff like firewalling and email scanning...

Guest swirlundergrounder

When you dealing with big music files it can definetly slow down your PC. That's why you need to get a Mac. OSX automatically defrags your OS constantly to provide you with a stable working environment....And Macs don't get viruses...

Guest pod

blah blah blah. I sure hope they paid you to say that.

Macs don't get viruses for the simple reason there's no one out there who bothers to write them for OS X. Why write a virus for 5% of the computing population when you can write one for 95% of the population?

Believe me, if the tables were turned, there'd be an assload of Mac viruses. And yeah, I know, OS X might be more secure and so forth, but to err is human, and there's always a security hole somewhere. Windows has 'em, OS X has 'em, Linux has 'em, even VxWorks (you wanna talk security and stability, go VxWorks...it runs the Space Shuttle and nuclear reactors...) has 'em. Be it blind error or malicious intent (disgruntled programmers), there's always an exploit or a way in.

Guest swirlundergrounder

blah blah blah. I sure hope they paid you to say that.

Macs don't get viruses for the simple reason there's no one out there who bothers to write them for OS X. Why write a virus for 5% of the computing population when you can write one for 95% of the population?

Believe me, if the tables were turned, there'd be an assload of Mac viruses. And yeah, I know, OS X might be more secure and so forth, but to err is human, and there's always a security hole somewhere. Windows has 'em, OS X has 'em, Linux has 'em, even VxWorks (you wanna talk security and stability, go VxWorks...it runs the Space Shuttle and nuclear reactors...) has 'em. Be it blind error or malicious intent (disgruntled programmers), there's always an exploit or a way in.

Actually Trancepriest and Macboy paid me to say it.....

Check your hard drive Space. If you are close to running out of hard drive space your drive has a hard time moving files to the ram and back and forth. Also check your ram, if you don't have enough then it's constantly writing un-used files back to the drive.

Also know all computers running windows and even Mac slow down over time regardless of what you do!

1. check hard drive space

2. defrag

3. clean up all the un used crap all over it, then defrag again

4. get ms beta spyware and delete the other spyware programs

5. Format the hd and start over, hard wire a lap top or other pc in and move all the files then re-format and start over.

6. is your drives compressed? if so that could kill your speed

Guest jbit

HANG ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before you go installing this and that like everyone suggests...

Go to the task manager, click on the process tab, and see what process is taking up the most CPU and memory usage (ie firefox.exe, outlook.exe, etc)

If you dont recognize what it is, google it, and you'll get some info on whether its an operating related process or if its malicious.

When you know what is slowing things down, then you'll know how to treat it.

Guest pod

a virus for linux? where???

I'm sure some jack-off wrote one as a proof of concept. Listen, if my cell phone (Symiban) can get a virus, Linux can.

Guest trancepriest

I was at CompUSA last week helping a friend upgrade her PC's memory. While in-line I heard the tech guy behind the counter telling a customer that adaware is not enough... and that he runs five anti-spyware programs to make sure that he gets them all... LOL. I was LMAO on that one. Any computer running Windows is just plain inferior. ;D I get the feeling that windows users like going through their chores of defragging, running spyware cleaners, running anti-virus programs, making sure their firewalls are locked, editing fucked up registries... it makes them feel more techie troubleshooting all that crap. I'm in a linux (for servers) and mac os x (for workstations) environment daily and I love it. Techie to me is not troubleshooting or maintaining my computer daily/weekly.

Guest swirlundergrounder

I was at CompUSA last week helping a friend upgrade her PC's memory. While in-line I heard the tech guy behind the counter telling a customer that adaware is not enough... and that he runs five anti-spyware programs to make sure that he gets them all... LOL. I was LMAO on that one. Any computer running Windows is just plain inferior. ;D I get the feeling that windows users like going through their chores of defragging, running spyware cleaners, running anti-virus programs, making sure their firewalls are locked, editing fucked up registries... it makes them feel more techie troubleshooting all that crap. I'm in a linux (for servers) and mac os x (for workstations) environment daily and I love it. Techie to me is not troubleshooting or maintaining my computer daily/weekly.

5 anti virus/spyware programs at once? LOL......I know. I also have a PC (that I hardly ever use anymore) that has a bunch of spyware/ anti virus programs. They're always downloading updates and intalling shit so it slows down my computer all the time..Hella frustrating...epsecially when you move a few music files around in your PC, boom...I have to dee-frag my computer or else it will lag......

Guest trancepriest

5 anti virus/spyware programs at once?

No.. 5 just for spyware alone.... heck you need as much as possible to make sure you get alll the spyware. Anti-virus... now that's another story all together. ;D

Guest pod

Knock on wood, I can't remember the last time I had to do a registry edit or something "techie" to my system. It's real simple, just don't be stupid.

Guest Adam Singer

back up, reformat, setup proper firewall/virus protection, don't download anything sketch

should be fine

formatting and reinstalling the OS is normal computer maintenance that should be done once a year minimum (imo)

Guest trancepriest

formatting and reinstalling the OS is normal computer maintenance that should be done once a year minimum (imo)

;D The sign of microsoft conditioning. Why not once a month?

Guest saintjohn

My father's computer started running slow, so he downloaded and installed several shareware "memory management" apps to "fix" it. You can guess how well that worked.

Guest Adam Singer

;D The sign of microsoft conditioning. Why not once a month?

if you have all the installs for your software/OS backed up, and keep your personal files on a second hard drive, it should take you maximum 20 minutes to have everything back to where you were and running nice and clean...

you're saying you dont clean your house once in a while?