Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Looting after Katrina

Guest jbit

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JMT

poor population? you can drink on the streets 24-7 in new orleans. ponder that.

the superdome is the only stadium that i know of where i can buy 3 beers while exiting once a game has ended.

Guest trancepriest

I love your research... look up the statistics...plus bums can drink on the streets 24-7... so I don't know what valid points you are raising. And I'm sure you are aware that New Orleans makes alot of income off drinking tourist.

The per capita income for the city is $17,258. 27.9% of the population and 23.7% of families are below the poverty line. Miami has the same statistics. The statistics for the surrounding counties are even worse... 34% of the population below the federal mandated poverty line.

Guest saintjohn

Grrr:

An AP reporter along the beach in Biloxi, Mississippi, says it “looks like a free-for-all,†as looters come running out of souvenir shops, loaded down with merchandise. He saw two men riding go-carts taken from an amusement park near the beach. Two men were pushing a large plastic garbage can with wheels—so full that it took both of them to drag it down the street.

There’s a similar scene in downtown New Orleans, where looters are floating garbage cans filled with clothing and jewelry down the street. Some of the looting has been taking place in full view of police and National Guard troops. One man with an armload of clothes even asked a police officer if he could borrow his car.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=40037

Guest JMT

I love your research... look up the statistics...plus bums can drink on the streets 24-7... so I don't know what valid points you are raising. And I'm sure you are aware that New Orleans makes alot of income off drinking tourist.

my research is ive been there 3 times in the last 8 years. have you? its a mecca for drunk bums.

they allow you to carry a marked open container everywhere, at all times.

Guest trancepriest

my research is ive been there 3 times in the last 8 years. have you?

they allow you to carry a marked open container everywhere, at all times.

Dude... I like Jamaican hot sauce with my hotdogs.

Guest saintjohn

Unfortunately, the original link seems to have gone dead, but I noticed this interesting news item on the NOLA blog site:

Late Tuesday, Gov. Blanco spokeswoman Denise Bottcher described a disturbing scene unfolding in uptown New Orleans, where looters were trying to break into Children's Hospital.

Bottcher said the director of the hospital fears for the safety of the staff and the 100 kids inside the hospital. The director said the hospital is locked, but that the looters were trying to break in and had gathered outside the facility.

The director has sought help from the police, but, due to rising flood waters, police have not been able to respond.

Bottcher said Blanco has been told of the situation and has informed the National Guard. However, Bottcher said, the National Guard has also been unable to respond.

http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/index.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_Times-Picayune/archives/2005_08.html#075290

Guest trancepriest

Unfortunately, the original link seems to have gone dead, but I noticed this interesting news item on the NOLA blog site:

Late Tuesday, Gov. Blanco spokeswoman Denise Bottcher described a disturbing scene unfolding in uptown New Orleans, where looters were trying to break into Children's Hospital.

Bottcher said the director of the hospital fears for the safety of the staff and the 100 kids inside the hospital. The director said the hospital is locked, but that the looters were trying to break in and had gathered outside the facility.

The director has sought help from the police, but, due to rising flood waters, police have not been able to respond.

Bottcher said Blanco has been told of the situation and has informed the National Guard. However, Bottcher said, the National Guard has also been unable to respond.

http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/index.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_Times-Picayune/archives/2005_08.html#075290

Baghdad in New Orleans.

Guest JMT

there are reports that some fine upstanding citizens shot up a police station and overnight a group of officers stranded on a motel roof were fired at. reports of attempted carjackings, and looters shooting each other too. terrible.

Guest trancepriest

ANIMALS!!!!!!

Damn right.. for christ sakes.. they aren't stealing any computers. Aren't there any Mac stores in New Orleans or at least some high end camera stores? In any case I just saw cops looting... lol... damn right the people will be looting too.

Guest trancepriest

only you could attempt to justify it.

those jerseys, shoes and that football will be very useful for a flood. ::)

HaHa... the damn city is flooding...what are they going to be rescuing... clothes... lol. Personally I would only be hitting up high end electronic stores... well maybe some high end jewelry stores too. ;D

Guest saintjohn

Report from the only live blog/cam left in New Orleans:

Looting: The police are looting. This has been confirmed by several independent sources. Some of the looting might be "legitimate" in as much as that word has any meaning in this context. They have broken into ATMs and safes: confirmed. We have eyewitnesses to this. They have taken dozens of SUVs from dealerships ostensibly for official use. They have also looted gun stores and pawn shops for all the small arms, supposedly to prevent "criminals" from doing so. But who knows their true intentions. We have an inside source in the NOPD who says that command and control is in chaos. He reports that command lapses more than 24 hours between check-ins, and that most of the force are "like deer in the headlights." NOPD already had a reputation for corruption, but I am telling you now that the people we've been talking to say they are not recognizing the NOPD as a legitimate authority anymore, since cops have been seen looting in Walmarts and forcing people out of stores so they could back up SUVs and loot them. Don't shoot the messenger....

http://www.livejournal.com/users/interdictor/

Guest Devilicious

those bayou cops have been rumored for a long time to lean on the shady side.

enter the national guard.

this is true. maybe even more crooked than miami cops