Clubplanet Nightlife Community

"Shoot First" law now in effect in Florida.

Guest pod

Guest jamu
Some electric stun guns have a very large range without being lethal. I think those things are awsome. And a lot safer then gun powdered weapons.

Safer for whom? The person with the stun gun, or the 250 lb. thug who's trying to kill her?

For civilians, the only such device worth anything in a real fight is the M18L Taser:

m26pic.jpg

It requires a combination of training and luck to use effectively. Cops are taught to use the Taser as part of the "force continuum" - it's for situations that require more than harsh language, but less than deadly force.

Even so, enough people have died after (from?) being tased that the courts seem to be moving towards classifying the Taser as a potentially deadly weapon, which would be unfortunate for law-abiding people who simply want one to protect themselves.

The advantage of the Taser, of course, is that you don't have to wait until an attacker is within arm's reach to employ it (civilian models are equipped with 15 feet of wire). The downside is that you can only use it on one person at a time, and you get exactly one chance to do so. As self-defense investments go, the $999 Taser leaves a lot to be desired.

According to statistics, violent crime rates are going down, but those numbers aren't very comforting if you happen to be the one being attacked on a given night. Whether you choose to rely on a firearm, a Taser, pepper spray, or divine intervention to keep you safe, let's be careful out there.

Dude I have shot tasers and guns before. Its not that tough nor does it really require that much intelligence. However if you have never shot a gun or a taser, then yes like everything else you need a little bit of instruction. Otherwise you shouldn't own a gun or a taser.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest saintjohn
Dude I have shot tasers and guns before. Its not that tough nor does it really require that much intelligence.

You're right - shooting is not that difficult. It's hitting your target that takes skill. Given your experience, I'm sure that you appreciate the difference between shooting at a single stationary target on a well-lit range and hitting multiple, moving, motivated humans under less-than-ideal conditions. Add some adrenalin and a time limit (like less than 2 seconds) to the scenario, and accuracy suffers even more. For those reasons, I won't trust my life to a Taser or any other single-shot weapon.

Also, I definitely agree about training. Anyone who decides to carry a weapon in public should have more than just a basic knowledge of how to use it. With great power comes great responsibility. Those who aren't willing and capable of carrying responsibly are a danger to the society.

Guest JMT

.....6 foot , 7 foot .......doesnt matter ! .........the kid was 14 yrs old and running away after knocking on the door and fleeing ( booby trap ? ) .

Try and say it was an unfortunate accident , but to excuse such an idiot is ......"ignorant" on your part .

he was 16. he went to my same high school. he was rigging the guy's porch with fishing line when the owner opened the door after hearing noises. know the facts before you reference something.

it was unfortunate. the kid was bigger than the guy and it was dark. i didnt excuse him. he was charged with manslaughter. im sure if he could take it back, he would.

however, the law change has zero to do with defending your property.

For those of you who are too young to remember, weren't living in Florida at the time, or simply have selective memories, Florida was supposed to become the "Wild West" when the state first adopted its current concealed weapons law way back in 1987. Guess what? Contrary to the predictions of certain politicians, pundits, and professional alarmists, the violent crime rate went down.

According to the Department of State, Florida issued 798,732 concealed weapon licenses between October 1, 1987, and February 29, 2002. Of those, a total of 146 (0.02%) were revoked due to firearm-related crimes committed by licensees. Between 1987 and 1992, Florida`s homicide rate decreased 23%, while the overall U.S. rate rose by 9%.

Do the math - don't believe the hype.

you cant argue with stats.

So i don't got my facts str8 cause the kid was 16 instead of 14 ? lol .

..yea , you really put me in my place with that one .

bro, you didnt know jack shit about the story except a kid got shot. give it up at this point.

Guest mursa

lol ....digest this since your so into Details of the Facts ...

Prosecutors also believed the law was too sweeping and potentially dangerous. They tried to get legislators to limit its scope to residences, said Mike Edmondson, spokesman for State Attorney Barry Krischer.

Edmondson said the law would have allowed Jay Levin of suburban Boca Raton to escape manslaughter charges in the 2003 shooting to death of his 16-year-old neighbor, who had rung his doorbell as a prank. Levin was sentenced to weekends in jail and house arrest.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2005/09/27/s1b_WARNING_0927.html

RUNG DOOR BELLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .....there goes your claim that he was "booby trapping" the guys front door .

..so congrats you got me on a 2 yr age diff , but you where the ones with Substancial BS !

so ....saddam-stfu.jpg

Guest pod

You're an adult at 16 as far as I'm concerned. Especially around these parts. Yeah it sucks that this kid got offed, but you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

No self-defense law is perfect.

Plus you get the media blowing things way out of proportion. I could hit you on the head in the street, Mursa, and Channel 7 would call it a hate crime.

Guest mursa

You're an adult at 16 as far as I'm concerned. Especially around these parts. Yeah it sucks that this kid got offed, but you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

Plus you get the media blowing things way out of proportion. I could hit you on the head in the street, Mursa, and Channel 7 would call it a hate crime.

lol..if you'd hit me on the street, you and your camera would BECOME ONE ! ;):D

Guest JMT

Prosecutors also believed the law was too sweeping and potentially dangerous. They tried to get legislators to limit its scope to residences, said Mike Edmondson, spokesman for State Attorney Barry Krischer.

Edmondson said the law would have allowed Jay Levin of suburban Boca Raton to escape manslaughter charges in the 2003 shooting to death of his 16-year-old neighbor, who had rung his doorbell as a prank. Levin was sentenced to weekends in jail and house arrest.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2005/09/27/s1b_WARNING_0927.html

RUNG DOOR BELLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .....there goes your claim that he was "booby trapping" the guys front door .

..so congrats you got me on a 2 yr age diff , but you where the ones with Substancial BS !

i followed the story daily when it happened 2 YEARS AGO, NOT ON 9/27/2005. can you say "owned"?

West Boca man cops deal in shooting of teen prankster

By PETER FRANCESCHINA, Sun-Sentinel, October 22, 2004

"In a surprise move, Boca Raton accountant Jay Levin pleaded guilty to manslaughter with a firearm Friday morning and was promptly sentenced to 10 years of probation by Circuit Judge Jorge LaBarga. The plea deal came less than 24 hours after a circuit jury was seated on Thursday after four days of selection. Levin's trial was supposed to start Friday morning. Under the deal, Levin will serve one year in the county jail – but on weekends only. He will also have to fulfill community service conditions and will be on probation for a number of years. Levin was charged with fatally shooting 16-year-old Mark Drewes, a neighbor, a year ago this month as Drewes and a friend played a prank in which they rang doorbells at homes in West Boca and ran away on Oct. 25. Jurors would have had to decide whether they believe Levin thought that Drewes could have been armed, as Levin told investigators. Levin, 41, told investigators he heard noises at his front door while trying to sleep. He said he got a .40-caliber semiautomatic from his closet, loaded a clip of bullets and went to the front door naked. He said when he opened the door he saw a large man with what he thought was a gun in his hand. He said he fired a shot because Drewes turned toward him and he thought he was going to be killed. The 6-foot, 2-inch Drewes died from a single gunshot to the back. The teen with Drewes, Anatoly Martynenko, initially didn't tell police that Drewes tried to tie fishing line to the door knocker, and that the knocker slipped and banged on the door. Martynenko told police Drewes didn't have anything in his hands. It was only later that Martynenko said Drewes had fishing line in his hand, but not a spool of line. High-profile Miami defense lawyer Roy Black was hired by Levin."

do your homework better next time. congrats on being clueless.

Guest mursa

It's not the law thats the problem , far from it .............it's the already ignorant/frustrated who are gonna abuse it .

ps..lets hope im wrong in my concern .

Guest mursa

so ....saddam-stfu.jpg

i followed the story daily when it happened 2 YEARS AGO, NOT ON 9/27/2005.

West Boca man cops deal in shooting of teen prankster

By PETER FRANCESCHINA, Sun-Sentinel, October 22, 2004

"In a surprise move, Boca Raton accountant Jay Levin pleaded guilty to manslaughter with a firearm Friday morning and was promptly sentenced to 10 years of probation by Circuit Judge Jorge LaBarga. The plea deal came less than 24 hours after a circuit jury was seated on Thursday after four days of selection. Levin's trial was supposed to start Friday morning. Under the deal, Levin will serve one year in the county jail – but on weekends only. He will also have to fulfill community service conditions and will be on probation for a number of years. Levin was charged with fatally shooting 16-year-old Mark Drewes, a neighbor, a year ago this month as Drewes and a friend played a prank in which they rang doorbells at homes in West Boca and ran away on Oct. 25. Jurors would have had to decide whether they believe Levin thought that Drewes could have been armed, as Levin told investigators. Levin, 41, told investigators he heard noises at his front door while trying to sleep. He said he got a .40-caliber semiautomatic from his closet, loaded a clip of bullets and went to the front door naked. He said when he opened the door he saw a large man with what he thought was a gun in his hand. He said he fired a shot because Drewes turned toward him and he thought he was going to be killed. The 6-foot, 2-inch Drewes died from a single gunshot to the back. The teen with Drewes, Anatoly Martynenko, initially didn't tell police that Drewes tried to tie fishing line to the door knocker, and that the knocker slipped and banged on the door. Martynenko told police Drewes didn't have anything in his hands. It was only later that Martynenko said Drewes had fishing line in his hand, but not a spool of line. High-profile Miami defense lawyer Roy Black was hired by Levin."

do your homework better next time. congrats on being clueless.

Homework was done ...........kid knocked , ran , shot in back ....

...read your own "homework" and see that his "booby trap" didn't materialize even though he "INITIALLY TRIED " as said by his friend .

So once again , in the eyes of all here in junkie chat ...you got owned-cat.jpg...

Guest pod

Well with violent crime on the rise, and an overwhelmed police force, the decent citizens need to at least know they will not be prosecuted for defending themselves. Not all of us are 250 lb 'roided up bodybuilders or martial art experts. Sometimes a weapon is needed.

I don't make the world, I just try to live in it.

Guest JMT

lmao, mursa you got taken to school so bad your ass must be burning.

you cant even admit it. youre truly pathetic.

btw, heres a tip, when you use quotes, youre supposed to type vebatim what someone said.

Guest mursa

I put out what occured , i put up a link supporting my argument , why should i be hurting ?lol

You know whats pathetic is someone actually trying to justify something like that ....

...but its prob due to you and that Levin guy having something in comin, that being a shitless coward , who will shoot someone in the back .

Guest JMT

i put out all the facts. i already said im not defending him, but there are 2 sides to every story.

ok, so now backtrack and take the discussion in circles... give it up man! youre pathetic!

oh, so now that you got schooled you must resort to personal attacks. the answer is no, its illegal to shoot someone in the back thus i wouldnt do it. i hope i dont ever have to shoot anyone period. additionally, the defense of property has nothing to do with this thread or the new law, so there was no reason to even bring this case up.

so not only are you pathetic and clueless, youre retarded too.

Guest mursa

i put out all the facts. i already said im not defending him, but there are 2 sides to every story.

ok, so now backtrack and take the discussion in circles... give it up man! youre pathetic!

oh, so now that you got schooled you must resort to personal attacks. the answer is no, its illegal to shoot someone in the back thus i wouldnt do it. i hope i dont ever have to shoot anyone period. additionally, the defense of property has nothing to do with this thread or the new law, so there was no reason to even bring this case up.

so not only are you pathetic and clueless, youre retarded too.

Im back tracking what ???? I proved my point in its essence, which was ...........kid knocked, ran and

Shirt.jpg.......

Guest JMT

since youre a bit slow and stubborn, ill break it down for you sesame street style one last time:

kid goes up to porch late at night, kid is tying the fishing line to the knocker, guy hears someone on his porch late at night, he retrieves his gun, the kid makes a noise on the door late at night, guy opens the door late at night, small guy sees bigger person on his porch late at night, guy thinks he sees a weapon, kid turns to run with line in hand, guy shoots, hits kid in the back.

shooter gets charged with manslaughter. a tragic event for all involved.

http://www.bocaratonnews.com/index.php?src=news&prid=9929&category=Local%20News

...The story began when Drewes left his 16th birthday party last Oct. 25 with a friend, Anatoly Martynenko. The duo then decided to play a prank by tying a length of monofilament “fishing†line to the door knocker of neighbor Jay Levin’s house, according to court documents. Martynenko told investigators that he and Drewes discussed who would ring Levin’s bell and decided on Drewes, since Martynenko was wearing slippers, making running difficult. Accountant Levin said he awoke to the sound of something “scratching†at his front door shortly after midnight. “I heard noises at my front door. I got my gun, unlocked it and went to the front door. I still heard noises at the front door and it sounded like they were trying to get in,†Levin told deputies shortly after the incident. “I opened the door and saw someone standing there. I thought he had a gun. I pointed my gun at him and he turned and ran. I then shot him.†Levin later said he fired one shot at “the large figure in front of him†before shutting the door to call 911... Drewes is 6' 2".

mustard-owned.jpg

Guest mursa

Someone who lives in the neighborhood posted last night, and said the kid was running towards home, he lived about ten houses away, and that he was many feet from the house at the time of impact.

Guest mursa

since youre a bit slow and stubborn, ill break it down for you sesame street style one last time:

kid goes up to porch late at night, kid is tying the fishing line to the knocker, guy hears someone on his porch late at night, he retrieves his gun, the kid makes a noise on the door late at night, guy opens the door late at night, small guy sees bigger person on his porch late at night, guy thinks he sees a weapon, kid turns to run with line in hand, guy shoots, hits kid in the back.

...The story began when Drewes left his 16th birthday party last Oct. 25 with a friend, Anatoly Martynenko. The duo then decided to play a prank by tying a length of monofilament “fishing†line to the door knocker of neighbor Jay Levin’s house, according to court documents. Martynenko told investigators that he and Drewes discussed who would ring Levin’s bell and decided on Drewes, since Martynenko was wearing slippers, making running difficult. Accountant Levin said he awoke to the sound of something “scratching†at his front door shortly after midnight. “I heard noises at my front door. I got my gun, unlocked it and went to the front door. I still heard noises at the front door and it sounded like they were trying to get in,†Levin told deputies shortly after the incident. “I opened the door and saw someone standing there. I thought he had a gun. I pointed my gun at him and he turned and ran. I then shot him.†Levin later said he fired one shot at “the large figure in front of him†before shutting the door to call 911... Drewes is 6' 2".

For someone who says he doesn't condone levins actions you sure Quote his view of events alot ...y is that ? lol

I would say the same thing as the levins to save my neck.

Guest JMT

Someone who lives in the neighborhood posted last night, and said the kid was running towards home, he lived about ten houses away, and that he was many feet from the house at the time of impact.

that would be boca del mar. so they were there? probably the same person who saw someone on the grassy knoll in dallas.

the kid went to my high school. i followed the story religiously. the court must have just skipped over that info.

Guest JMT

For someone who says he doesn't condone levins actions you sure Quote his view of events alot ...y is that ? lol

I would say the same thing as the levins to save my neck.

as far as i know, levin cant see through walls or doors. its called quoting court documents.

levin himself admits shooting after the kid turned. im sure he sat up that night saying to himself, 'damn i really hope i can shoot someone. that would really complete my night'. ::)

Guest mursa

that would be boca del mar. so they were there? probably the same person who saw someone on the grassy knoll in dallas.

the kid went to my high school. i followed the story religiously. the court must have just skipped over that info.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1013477/posts ..take a few minutes and read some of their replys.

Guest JMT

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1013477/posts ..take a few minutes and read some of their replys .

ill stick to the facts of the case, not opinions. as you have shown here, any herb can go about talking like they know what went down without having a clue.

Guest teabag

Officer I was assaulted with a sponge, I had no choice but to use deadly force...............

It depends on the type of sponge......

16354ll.jpg

This one is easily justified... even with a bazooka. ;D