Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Att car/Formula 1 race fans..

240turbo

The FIA ( Federation Internationale de L'Automobile) has just mandated that the teams change from the usual 3.0 liter V10 engines to a 2.4 liter V8 due to dangerous escalating speeds and engineering costs. I bet those clever F1 engineers will still find a way to extract 900 hp from those engines. Yikes!!!

Read up

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/20408/

Guest tres-b

This V8 deal has been known for awhile. Toyota actually tested their V8s prototype for next year a couple months back. The new V8 will rev to 20k so the sound should be good.

The cost of F1 are the costs. Ferrari, McLaren Mercedes, Toyota, Honda, BMW, Renault, all have budgets. If they save $$ on the engine they will spend it somewhere else.

Speed and driving on the edge are all part of F1. F1 drivers benefit from extremely well designed safety features. I am amazed everytime these guys have a huge crash and they get out and walk away.

Its ok, F1 needed a facelift and this kind of challenge is just the ticket. Whatever kind of technology they come up with to squeeze that much power from smaller displacement will carry over into domestic cars. I forsee some new advancements in future sportscars.

I doubt they'll have street cars revving that high though. A car with such a high redline is not driveable on the street. For example the upcoming M5 has a version of the F1 engine but instead of 3 liter V10 it's a 5 liter V10. A 3 liter with a 16,000 rpm redline would simply be undriveable on the street. Not only that, it would break down within weeks or even days. The 5 liter motor has an 8,000 rpm redline. Which is more or less ideal for a street car. On the street you need torque and lower revs.

Its ok' date=' F1 needed a facelift and this kind of challenge is just the ticket. Whatever kind of technology they come up with to squeeze that much power from smaller displacement will carry over into domestic cars. I forsee some new advancements in future sportscars.

[/quote']

I doubt they'll have street cars revving that high though. A car with such a high redline is not driveable on the street. For example the upcoming M5 has a version of the F1 engine but instead of 3 liter V10 it's a 5 liter V10. A 3 liter with a 16,000 rpm redline would simply be undriveable on the street. Not only that, it would break down within weeks or even days. The 5 liter motor has an 8,000 rpm redline. Which is more or less ideal for a street car. On the street you need torque and lower revs.

Well i didn't mean that they would take the 20K rev limit right to the street but im sure there will be instances where they will apply the technology to advance performance of street cars.

i wouldn't mind having a car that could rev past 16k+ even if it lasted a few weeks, just the thrill would just be amazing.

I drove a '98 F355 Spyder mid-engine V8 and it didn't rev all the way up there, but the sound of that machine makes anyone pee in their pants, who needs a cd player...oh n clutch is so smooth on that car w/ so much power...sounds like a true F1 car after 4-5k

Goodlife drives those everyday

That bastard

:P

i wouldn't mind having a car that could rev past 16k+ even if it lasted a few weeks, just the thrill would just be amazing.

I drove a '98 F355 Spyder mid-engine V8 and it didn't rev all the way up there, but the sound of that machine makes anyone pee in their pants, who needs a cd player...oh n clutch is so smooth on that car w/ so much power...sounds like a true F1 car after 4-5k

That bastard

My old car used to bounce off the limiter at 9300 rpm....that was NICE. And not too shabby for a 4 banger. It was just a shame that it was 6spd for drag racing. I would have preferred longer gears to not have to shift into 4th gear.

That bastard

My old car used to bounce off the limiter at 9300 rpm....that was NICE. And not too shabby for a 4 banger. It was just a shame that it was 6spd for drag racing. I would have preferred longer gears to not have to shift into 4th gear.

the s2k?

ive been in a 560hp - low10s - 9krev car as it bounced down to 7k up to 9k by every gear, i don't remember much as i was in the backseat trying to hold on for my life...took me a while to get my senses back n recall what just had happened...

what a great feeling, i think i had a smile on my face for a while

That bastard

the s2k?

ive been in a 560hp - low10s - 9krev car as it bounced down to 7k up to 9k by every gear, i don't remember much as i was in the backseat trying to hold on for my life...took me a while to get my senses back n recall what just had happened...

Yeah, in the S. It didn't have that kind of power, the motor was just too small for that. At some insane moment, i almost handed it over to someone to put a custom turbo set up in it. Total R&D car for them since this was a few years ago when it was new. Then i regained my senses....i wasn't gonna let my $34K car be someones frankenstein while i was still making payments on it!

Eventually i might get back to the MR2 and make it a full project. I was considering a hybrid motor - the solara v6 with the trd supercharger has been known to crank out 350rwhp. Now THAT is something that would put a smile on my face..... ;D

That bastard

the s2k?

Yeah, in the S. It didn't have that kind of power, the motor was just too small for that. At some insane moment, i almost handed it over to someone to put a custom turbo set up in it. Total R&D car for them since this was a few years ago when it was new. Then i regained my senses....i wasn't gonna let my $34K car be someones frankenstein while i was still making payments on it!

Eventually i might get back to the MR2 and make it a full project. I was considering a hybrid motor - the solara v6 with the trd supercharger has been known to crank out 350rwhp. Now THAT is something that would put a smile on my face..... ;D

pimping out a solara, u gonna have to get some 22's lmao

That bastard

the s2k?

pimping out a solara, u gonna have to get some 22's lmao

HAHA no its actually just the motor that ill be using. :D