Clubplanet Nightlife Community

NYC's last record shop to close at end of the month..

V. Barbarino

Guest ezgoing74

In time that you can go online and buy records from the UK and the rest of the world and have it in your hands in a few days, I think it was about time.

Guest tbooty

What about Turntable Lab, Dance Tracks, A1 Records, NYC Record Exchange, Vinylmania, Rock and Soul, Halcyon, The Sound Library, Finyl Vinyl, Norman's Sound and Vision, Beat Street Records, Music Factory, Satellite Records + tons of small underground shops.. the list goes on and on..

+ Dj Shakey's Nightowl Record Fair, WFUM Record Fair

NYC still has some of the best record shopping outside of maybe Tokyo and London.

Even the Tower and Virgin stores in NYC have a great selection of underground dance stuff on Vinyl. These stores have such buying power that often times they will get rare limited stuff that the small shops never see.

Last record shop??

Whens the last time you went record shopping in NYC?

I have 2 friends that own record stores in the city and are doing fine. Any good record shop does way more than just sell records. Its all about diversification, Vinyl, Cds, Video, Dj Gear, Magazines, Clothing, MP3's and online sales.

dancetracks-small.jpg

Guest web_norah

^^^ :D

i have to agree with that statement, you find the rarest records around here no doubt. London has great stuff electronic-wise, perhaps a touch more cutting edge but NYC is still a place for cool stuff.

hell, there are even street vendors often parked on Avenue of the Americas/ Grove in the West Village, selling magazines and records out of crates, every day, even in this freezing cold.

I believe Satellite Records closed years ago along with 8 ball. As for the other record shops, decca dance was in business since 1986, well before the explosion of house, now they are gone. As for the others you listed, if my guys say they don't shop at them, then they might as well be closed to the nyc house guys... In a city of 12 million did anyone really think there ARE NO MORE RECORD SHOPS??? It's the last of it's kind and genre and it catered to all our favorite jocks....

Guest dj_release

I believe Satellite Records closed years ago along with 8 ball. As for the other record shops, decca dance was in business since 1986, well before the explosion of house, now they are gone. As for the others you listed, if my guys say they don't shop at them, then they might as well be closed to the nyc house guys... In a city of 12 million did anyone really think there ARE NO MORE RECORD SHOPS??? It's the last of it's kind and genre and it catered to all our favorite jocks....

you are so cool dude

Guest tbooty

Satellite Records 259 Bowery New York, NY 10002 212.995.1744

Come on Saleen.. Do your home work b4 you talk about things you dont know anything about.

the 8 ball store did close like 10 years ago. no one said anything here about the 8 ball store but you.

Deca Dance has been around since the late 80's and they have not changed their way of doing business since then. thats why they have been tired, out of touch & dying a slow death for the past 10 years.

Guest web_norah

8 ball closed.

and Satellite closed and was bought by someone else and re-opened, going strong as ever. there was even a Time Out NY article about that.

Saleen, if your "guys" buy only diva circuit house and guido anthems, then sure, the choices may be limited --JP and Tsettos aren't the mainstream here just so you know, they cater to ONE crowd only ...

and even so, Manhattan is one of the best places to come shopping for records, most reputable DJs know that.

Guest Justin Johnson

Satellite was bought out by Top DJ Gear, and are doing extremely well.

As the former stock manager of Satellite ('96-'01), I'm very happy to hear that.

Even guys that used to work there, and then stopped working & shopping there, have started to go back because the selection has become better once again.

Guest musicalmissionary

if my guys say they don't shop at them, then they might as well be closed to the nyc house guys...

You mean the Walmart house guys? I'm convinced that if Walmart opened a club you'd be the first in line, along with your "guys".

Guest dj_release

if my guys say they don't shop at them, then they might as well be closed to the nyc house guys...

You mean the Walmart house guys? I'm convinced that if Walmart opened a club you'd be the first in line, along with your "guys".

LMAO ;D

Guest riotgear

Damn bro, you got balls posting something like this in a forum full of DJ's :)

NYC and NJ has a good amount of record shops...

was this post a joke or just a way to get people talking about nothing important? :)

Guest Philip

London has great stuff electronic-wise, perhaps a touch more cutting edge but NYC is still a place for cool stuff.

London.

London?

London.

London?

Yes, London. You know: fish, chips, cup 'o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary fucking Poppins... LONDON.