Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Tearing through Paris in a Ferrari @ 140 MPH- Great Video

On an August morning in 1978, French filmmaker Claude Lelouch mounted a gyro-stabilized camera to the bumper of a Ferrari 275 GTB and had a friend, a professional Formula 1 racer, drive at breakneck speed through the heart of Paris. The film was limited for technical reasons to 10 minutes; the course was from Porte Dauphine, through the Louvre, to the Basilica of Sacre Coeur. No streets were closed, for Lelouch was unable to obtain a permit. The driver completed the course in about 9 minutes, reaching nearly 140 MPH (225 Km/h) in some stretches. The footage reveals him running real red lights, nearly hitting real pedestrians, and driving the wrong way up real one-way streets. Upon showing the film in public for the first time, Lelouch was arrested. He has never revealed the identity of the driver, and the film went underground until a DVD release a few years ago.

Now, thanks to the miracle of the Internet, you can watch it in your browser

http://www.bsdunix.ch/public/rendezvous20_04.mov

Make sure you've got good speakers and turn up the volume 'cuz that Ferrari sounds fantastic! I can see why Claude used a Formula 1 racer to drive for him. This guy was flying! He had that Ferrari sideways a couple times and airborne at least once! Awesome post! {You forgot to mention the pigeons he came close to plastering!}

Guest michael^heaven

---I was reading a bit of background on this video. There is a lot of speculation surrounding this footage. Primarily as to the actual vehicle that was used & if, in fact, the director was driving the car & not an actual Formula1 driver. Good vid nevertheless.

Guest JMT

i have this on my pc and have watched it countless times. i like to consider myself a connoisseur of sorts of movie car chases, but i am by no means a racing expert. that said, i think the footage in Rendezvous is "tweaked" and that there is some validity to the criticism. the car never appears to be going nearly as fast as claimed (people who know those streets have allegedly timed it), and i think the tire and gear shift noises and are doctored. (i.e., the driver shifts to high gear and sounds close to redlining, yet isnt anywhere near top speed.) just my $.02, its still a pretty cool short film regardless.

:-\

Guest Diabolique

um....HELLO! I need to go work on making my millions (billions?) now. ;)

Funny, it looks like the sun is just coming up, like the drivers' been up all night and was suddenly inspired to capture something us mere mortals don't geto to enjoy every day. *sigh*