Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Billabong Big Wave Challange Starts...

Guest jbit

Guest jbit

The Billabong XXL Award will be won by the surfer who, by any means available, catches and successfully rides the single biggest wave of the year based on analysis of the available images. The prize will be awarded in the amount of $1000 a foot, but with a minimum award of $60,000.

Brad Gerlach has the lead...

ger.jpg

Guest jbit

couldn't you just cheat your way into the lead???

I assume your referring to photoshoping the image. Nope, won't fly.

The big wave surfing community is a tight nit bunch (not to mention honest regardless of how much $$$ is on the line), and bullshit would get called on you immediatly (as well as a serious beat down).

This contest is about bragging rights as much as it is the cash.

Almost all of the images can be validated by multiple people who were there as well, you dont go out in conditions like that with just a photographer.

Guest tres-b

couldn't you just cheat your way into the lead???

I assume your referring to photoshoping the image. Nope, won't fly.

The big wave surfing community is a tight nit bunch (not to mention honest regardless of how much $$$ is on the line), and bullshit would get called on you immediatly (as well as a serious beat down).

This contest is about bragging rights as much as it is the cash.

Almost all of the images can be validated by multiple people who were there as well, you dont go out in conditions like that with just a photographer.

You stole my thunder.

I just dont think it would be possible to cheat your way to a win.

Guest Fez

i respect Big Wave surfing, and would never do it....

it takes balls, skills...to be out there...

but being pulled by a waverunner and having the board strapped tou you doesn't seem like fun...

i may not get it....i've surfed before...but i'm really a bodyboarder...and we like to do tricks while riding the wave...

this big wave thing has never looked like fun to me...

1-1-2000.jpg

Guest michael^heaven

medina.jpg

---Cheating is not an option for this event. In addition, winning this challenge is an extremely prestigious honor within the surfing community. No one would risk their reputation or their entire surfing career for such a risky & stupid act of cheating.

j) Cheating: Computer manipulation opens up the possibility for fraud. In order to eliminate the chances of a fake or enhanced ride being considered, original transparencies or negatives must be submitted, and all will be examined for authenticity. Any candidate rides taking place at relatively obscure locations that are not witnessed by a large number of observers will be subject to special scrutiny. Digital photos may be subject to additional verification procedures.

http://billabongxxl.com/06/rules.asp

Guest jbit

i respect Big Wave surfing, and would never do it....

it takes balls, skills...to be out there...

but being pulled by a waverunner and having the board strapped tou you doesn't seem like fun...

i may not get it....i've surfed before...but i'm really a bodyboarder...and we like to do tricks while riding the wave...

one benfit to laying down is everyday is over head :P

FYI - being pulled into a wave by a waverunner is crazy fun, except for when this happens...

raimana.jpg

Guest drlogic

ger.jpg

incredible. where was that? looks like bodhi surfing bells during "the 50 year storm".

Bodhi? 50 yr. storm? lol

I remember that movie! what a crock-o-shit! I remember screaming at the screen when he first talked about predicting that 50 yr. storm to Johnny Utah...LOL

Hollywood is a fucking pisser!

ps...that picture is sick! Aside from not looking back while they're charging the wave,,,,I don't know how they do it! They've got bull balls!

LOL

Guest jbit

ger.jpg

incredible. where was that? looks like bodhi surfing bells during "the 50 year storm".

Todos Santos, Mexico

Guest jbit

Saw that the other day, those guys are fucking crazy. Dont know how anyone could hold their breath after a wipeout on one of those monsters

Guest tres-b

Saw that the other day, those guys are fucking crazy. Dont know how anyone could hold their breath after a wipeout on one of those monsters

Never mind the cold H2O... :P