Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Erick Morillo in the NY Post

Guest macboy

a DJ is meant to play music, for entertainment you go to the circus or watch comedy, for instance.

Fatboy Slim in that case, is a far better, "entertainer", not the greatest DJ ...and he, unlike EM, threw a free party in his hometown Brighton UK, for some 30,000 people ...that's an entertainer.

he has done the same in Rio just a few years ago for over 200k on the beach along Brazilian Dj Marky/Patife(dnb)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Philip

a DJ is meant to play music, for entertainment you go to the circus or watch comedy, for instance.

Trust me - if I saw EM or anyone hop on the DJ booth as illustrated in those pics I might walk out. I suppose there is a place for it but... What i'm talking about is the aura and the "party" that a DJ can bring - not how much of a circus monkey he can be. When EM comes to Space it what most people are there for and what they’re chatting about. Thats good entertainment.

Guest pod

Wow, I'd hate to be you! If a DJ got on top of the decks and danced like a circus monkey, I'd laugh and take a photo. Then I'd get a drink.

Guest Philip

Wow, I'd hate to be you! If a DJ got on top of the decks and danced like a circus monkey, I'd laugh and take a photo. Then I'd get a drink.

I guess ona crazy day at Space it would be cool. Kinna cheesy to me.

Guest pod

I guess ona crazy day at Space it would be cool. Kinna cheesy to me.

I wouldn't let it ruin my night, that is what I'm saying. I'd only walk out on a DJ if he or she lapsed into playing Y-100 hits.

So according to your reasoning, I guess a DJ is not considered an entertainer, but merely some guy standing there playing records. Anybody can do that ::)

Morillo does not play the best records, and I agree, but watching him at work is definitely a treat and you definitely get your money's worth.

Guest pod

That's nothing new' date=' they used to have a DJ on In Living Color.

Yeah it was SW1, aka Shawn Wayans.

The whole entire family was on that show! :o

Guest Ariel

Anyone remember when Taucher was jumping around like a crazy monkey. Day before 4th of July with Deep Dish.

Now that was some crazy ass shit...scratching records and shit.

Guest Philip

EM was zzzzzzz last time he was on the aptio... not entertaining or musically interesting :-\

Is Sanchez the current "king of the patio" then?

Guest LeVeL

a DJ is meant to play music' date=' for entertainment you go to the circus or watch comedy, for instance.

[/quote']

So according to your reasoning, I guess a DJ is not considered an entertainer, but merely some guy standing there playing records. Anybody can do that ::)

Hey dont talk about Danny tenaglia like that Rick..lol

I dont understand how Norah is complaining about Morillo when Tenaglia does the exact samething. In the past Tenaglia has been spun and danced with the crowd at the same time. He also tends to flash, flashlights at peoples face. He certainly interacts with the crowd. The guy doesn't get on top of the Dj Booth but seeing Tenaglia perform a 16 hour set is more of a circus than a Morillo show will ever be.

Guest Cosmigonon

a DJ is meant to play music' date=' for entertainment you go to the circus or watch comedy, for instance.

[/quote']

Hey dont talk about Danny tenaglia like that Rick..lol

I dont understand how Norah is complaining about Morillo when Tenaglia does the exact samething. In the past Tenaglia has been spun and danced with the crowd at the same time. He also tends to flash, flashlights at peoples face. He certainly interacts with the crowd. The guy doesn't get on top of the Dj Booth but seeing Tenaglia perform a 16 hour set is more of a circus than a Morillo show will ever be.

Yeah, but what we're trying to say is that a dj doesn't have to do any of that stuff to be good. If he wants to do it, good for him , and maybe I'll be entertainted, but if he doesn't do it, i couldn't give a rat's ass as long as the music is good.

Guest Philip

In the past Tenaglia has been spun and danced with the crowd at the same time. He also tends to flash' date=' flashlights at peoples face. He certainly interacts with the crowd. The guy doesn't get on top of the Dj Booth but seeing Tenaglia perform a 16 hour set is more of a circus than a Morillo show will ever be.

[/quote']

Lets not forget going into the crowd and pretending to talk on a cell phone. Or riding a white horse into... i forget what club in NYC.

Guest Philip

I wanna see Erick get on top of the decks again, and the trainspotters collectively throw down their drinks and leave in a huff.

I'd be out like a light lol... nah - im all about the party. I'm sure the patio was goin nuts. Its all good.

Guest LeVeL

Yeah, but what we're trying to say is that a dj doesn't have to do any of that stuff to be good. If he wants to do it, good for him , and maybe I'll be entertainted, but if he doesn't do it, i couldn't give a rat's ass as long as the music is good.

you got a point, a lot of Dj's dont have to make a fool of themselves behind the booth as long as the music is good and everyone is having a great time.

Guest Philip

What I really like about Morillo is the fact that he never really drops the beat. He teases the crowd for god knows how long' date=' and when he finally drops it everybody goes nuts. The anticipation is what kills people and drives them bananas. 8)

[/quote']

Personally I think its a cheap DJ trick. Sanchez same thing. Leave the roller-coasters for the theme park. I realize i'm in the minority on this one.