Clubplanet Nightlife Community

IKEA IS COMING!!! IKEA IS COMING!!!!

Iconic furniture giant Ikea to open store in Sunrise

After two years scouting South Florida, Swedish furniture giant Ikea announced Tuesday it will build its first store in the state in Sunrise by summer 2007 -- a retail victory for Broward County and the region's shoppers.

The 293,000-square-foot signature store at the northwest corner of State Road 84 and Northwest 136th Avenue is expected to become a destination spot much like its northern neighbor, Sawgrass Mills mall, drawing shoppers from as far south as Key Largo and as far north as Jupiter.

Tuesday's announcement ends yearlong negotiations between the popular home-furnishing outlet and Fort Lauderdale developer Stiles Corp., which is building a retail center on 25 acres at the intersection.

Known for offering more than 10,000 well-designed and affordable home furniture and accessory items, Ikea has developed a worldwide cult following, especially among college students, pennywise homebuyers, and shoppers who love the brand's hip, modern look.

Stores feature an in-house Swedish cafeteria and a supervised play area for children.

"They have a loyal legion of followers and people will be there two days before the opening, waiting in line for the big, grand-opening event," said Britt Beemer, a national consumer expert and founder of America's Research Center. "It will certainly change retailing [in South Florida] a little bit ... Initially, there will be traffic jams in the area."

For Ikea faithfuls, a South Florida store means no more catalogs or shopping online. Until now, they had to drive more than 600 miles to Atlanta to visit one of the company's 26 stores in the United States.

"I'm glad that they're finally getting a store here," said Ikea catalog shopper Beatrice Salom, 60, adding she will gladly make the 45-minute trek from south Miami-Dade County to Sunrise. "Ikea has great quality and their prices are fantastic."

Sunrise, which now joins the elite roster of cities such as New York, Los Angeles and London with an Ikea store, stands to reap considerable sales tax revenue, although projections are still not available.

The average U.S. Ikea store last year brought in about $91 million in sales. The Sunrise store will create about 350 jobs in the region. Construction is set to begin this spring, the company said.

"For us, it's another confirmation of the Sawgrass Mills area as a regional destination," Sunrise City Commissioner Sheila Alu said Tuesday.

The company had considered building its store in western Davie, but later withdrew those plans after nearby residents opposed them.

"Florida has always been on the map for us," said Pernille Lopez, president of Ikea North America, who declined to discuss terms of the deal, citing confidentiality agreements. "It's been a few years, but we are ready now."

In Sunrise, Ikea will anchor the development known as the Gateway at Sawgrass, which also will include a 40,000-square-foot strip center that will host specialty retail tenants and casual, upscale restaurants.

The Ikea store will feature three model homes, 50 room settings and a 250-seat restaurant that serves Swedish favorites.

Building a store in Florida has long made sense for Ikea. The state has more customers -- 250,000 plus -- than any other state without an Ikea store, said Ikea spokesman Joseph Roth.

In new markets, Ikea stores have become a destination place, drawing shoppers from neighboring states.

"Not everyone has one, and it's great that they picked South Florida as an entrée into Florida," said Beth Azor, a regional retail consultant.

Ikea is considering additional locations in Florida, although the company's immediate attention is on opening the Sunrise location.

"There's a big potential for us in Florida, so we have lots of hopes for this one," Lopez said.

Sun-Sentinel Staff Writer Kevin Smith contributed to this report.

Jaclyn Giovis can be reached at jmgiovis@sun-sentinel.com or 954-356-4668

Guest ILLMATIC

I found a couch that I really liked on there site a few weeks ago. I guess I like to see in person what the fuck I am buying especially if it's furniture.

Guest swirlundergrounder

I was just talking about this with someone a second ago.

There's an Ikea in Seattle but I was surprised to find out that there was not one down here.

Ikea has cheap stuff. If you are looking for a quick and fashionable solution to something then Ikea is the right place. But if you are looking for a real furnature set then I'd avoid Ikea. A lot of their stuff falls apart fast!

Shelves, lights, Dishes are cool but couches, beds and bigger stuff get somewhere else..IMO

Guest macboy

Carisa, the euphoria won't last very long once you realize how inferior the furniture really is. Yes, it's inexpensive and, I suppose, fashionable. But there's a reason why those who know refer to Ikea's stuff as "disposable furniture." Granted, I haven't purchased anything from them in 4 years, but the stuff I bought from them while living in nyc was disappointing. Who knows, maybe they got better since then. But I still say you get what you pay for.

I have 2 Ikeas nearby, one in Jersey, the other in Long Island. Im actually going out there this weekend. Like Dan said, its definitely disposable furniture but as im sure you all know.....inexpensive furniture is almost unheard of in FL. Honestly, id rather pay less money for something from Ikea than a fortune for shit from City Furn. The stuff im getting this weekend is unfinished pine that i'll stain a mahogany color to match the rest of my furniture. Yeah its cheap but also simple. The quality is also relative to how handy you are with the assenbly.

Carisa, the euphoria won't last very long once you realize how inferior the furniture really is. Yes, it's inexpensive and, I suppose, fashionable. But there's a reason why those who know refer to Ikea's stuff as "disposable furniture." Granted, I haven't purchased anything from them in 4 years, but the stuff I bought from them while living in nyc was disappointing. Who knows, maybe they got better since then. But I still say you get what you pay for.

from what i hear from people who buy this stuff...its still BAD

I bought furniture off target.com, it was a great value, considering armoires go for 800 bucks and up. However, one of the knobs was broken, so instead of them sending me a knob the size of a quarter, they shipped a whole new piece 200 pounds and all from China, I took out the knob and now they are comming back to pick it up... What a wacky way of doing business...

• 1 year later...
Guest coach

They have these really cool promotional trucks driving around the area. They did up a whole room or something on the back of the flatbed and enclosed it in glass.

Guest pod

Anyone try the füd there yet? Or the Pëpsï? And I want to get a Bükshëlf.

There's probably møøse galore. And some øttömåns.

Guest myles hie

Since i live up the street i was planning on cruising by this weekend and checking it out, i'll report back my findings on Monday.

Anyone try the füd there yet? Or the Pëpsï? And I want to get a Bükshëlf.

There's probably møøse galore. And some øttömåns.

The füd is actually pretty good, they have these ålmönd tårts that are great. The pickled cükes are yümmy. OMG i'm hüngry.