Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Another moronic rapper busted on South Beach...

Guest macboy

Guest macboy

Seriously, he was a block away from the police station, what did he expect? ::)

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/14083550.htm

BY SUSAN ANASAGASTI

sanasagasti@MiamiHerald.com

Rapper Young Jeezy arrested after shootout in South Beach over the weekend

In his hit song ''Soul Survivor'' Young Jeezy prays to stay out of jail.

But early Saturday morning, his prayers went unanswered in Miami Beach.

The 28-year-old rapper, born Jay Jenkins, was busted on weapons charges after a shootout on a busy South Beach strip involving some of his friends.

Miami Beach police arrested the Atlanta-based rapper and charged him with two counts of carrying a concealed firearm. No one was injured.

According to police reports, this is what happened:

A fight broke out at about 5:30 a.m. Friday morning in the 1200 block of Washington Avenue when Tramiel De Juan Golden -- a producer -- was caught fighting on tape with several men, who were not identified. Jenkins was with the group.

A passerby, Marco Raez, turned on his video camera, and started filming.

Golden demanded: ''Give me the camera.'' The feud escalated.

When Raez refused, another man Raheem Karriem, who was also with Golden, lifted his shirt to reveal a gun tucked into his waistband.

Karriem began shooting. Raez surrendered the camera. Miami Beach Police spokesman Robert Hernandez said about nine men, including Jenkins, got into two separate SUVs and fled the scene.

Karriem got into a black Landrover while Jenkins jumped into a Lincoln Navigator, police said. Before he was stopped by police, Karriem smashed into three parked cars, causing thousands of dollars in damages.

Police caught up to the Navigator moments after the incident occured. Jenkins, who was sitting in the back seat of the car, pointed his fingers at officers, making believe it was a gun.

Officers found a semi-automatic firearm under his seat and another similar firearm, near the armrest. Jenkins was arrested and charged with two counts of carrying a concealed firearm without a permit, while Golden was charged with strong armed robbery.

Another man, Steven Lesly Savain, of West Kendall -- who was also with the group -- was taken into custody. Police said there was a warrant out for his arrest for prior trespassing charges. The warrant was issued by Miami-Dade County in December.

This isn't the first time Jenkins has been trouble with the law.

According to county records, Jenkins was also arrested in Miami-Dade last summer. But the outcome of that case was unclear.

Jenkins has made headlines recently over a rivalry with another rapper, Radric ''Gucci Mane'' Davis.

They recorded a single last year called ''Icy.'' But a disagreement developed over rights to the song, when the hit was released. Both rappers have since put singles out attacking each other, according to published reports. Still, he's managed to command the Billboard's Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart with the release of his current album ``Let's Get It``

Miami Beach police said they will continue to pack the streets with additional police officers during Spring Breach. It's a taskforce they said, helps control and protect the thousands of college students and partyers who migrate to South Beach for Spring Break each year.

Guest james stratus

Good for Jeezy, he sucks anyway! It was so ghetto out on the beach this past week it is not funny. Reminded me of Memorial Day Weekend. It was really thuggish with lots of guys in cars hollering and stopping traffic to hit up on chicks. Plus all the stupid little white kids kept asking for hip hop to be played. I so can't wait for WMC and Spring Break to be over!

Guest coach

Good for Jeezy, he sucks anyway! It was so ghetto out on the beach this past week it is not funny. Reminded me of Memorial Day Weekend. It was really thuggish with lots of guys in cars hollering and stopping traffic to hit up on chicks. Plus all the stupid little white kids kept asking for hip hop to be played. I so can't wait for WMC and Spring Break to be over!

I noticed this, as well. We have GOT to do *something* about the idiots marketing our city. We need to make them target a different crowd.

Guest saintjohn

Charged with carrying a concealed firearm and strong arm robbery? That's it? Why would the victim hand over his video camera unless he felt his life was being threatened? The state attorney should at least tack on a brandishing charge. I hope this doesn't get plea bargained away to time served plus community service. Grrr.

Guest Sela V

I noticed this, as well. We have GOT to do *something* about the idiots marketing our city. We need to make them target a different crowd.

I hear ya! It was like so incredibly ghetto that my friend and I had to escape to Glass on Saturday night to hear some really good music at the Aquabooty party. One thug tried to follow us in, but just then Djinji Brown was playing this awesome afro-tribal set, and scared the thug away...Close call... ;)

Guest jsk

I'm glad some of you locals feel the same way. I'm not from Miami but ended up at the Beach last week, not realizing it was the middle of spring break, etc. Never seen so many thugs in my life.

I hope this was only because of spring break, etc., and not because the thugs have taken over the Beach. I'm thinking of buying a place down here but not if a thousand thugs are wandering around every day.

How often is it like that at the Beach? I've heard Memorial Day weekend is bad, too. Any other times?

(And do the locals stay in during these times? Last week was the most un-SoBe crowd walking around that I've ever seen.)

Guest Sela V

I'm glad some of you locals feel the same way. I'm not from Miami but ended up at the Beach last week, not realizing it was the middle of spring break, etc. Never seen so many thugs in my life.

I hope this was only because of spring break, etc., and not because the thugs have taken over the Beach. I'm thinking of buying a place down here but not if a thousand thugs are wandering around every day.

How often is it like that at the Beach? I've heard Memorial Day weekend is bad, too. Any other times?

(And do the locals stay in during these times? Last week was the most un-SoBe crowd walking around that I've ever seen.)

http://www.blueverticalstudio.com/05/archives/000364.html

Guest Mattivi

although spring break brings its fair share of gold "grilled" douche bags to sobe every year if you know where to go you will find a hip, fashionable, well behaved crowd. its just really knowing which spots to hit up on what nite. come next week for conference this will all be a distant memory you will definitely see a change in the crowd demograhpic, as spring comes to a close and conference begins.

go to lincoln road it is relatively thug free, mostly because they cant afford it and the vendors dont really cater to their tacky, obnoxious, gaudy, and over sized taste.

what perplexes me is how this violent,negative, materialistic, insidious music seems to get more popular by the year. hip hop needs more mos defs' and less jeezys' (for sheezy). i feel bad for the 'real' hip hop artist who have to put up with these animals who keep denegrating their genre. oh well, as long as we keep glorifying "pimps, hustlas and thugs" as a viable lifestyle, things wont change. anyways, peace, love and electronic musik!!! but dont worry jsk thugs defintely havent "taken over" the beach, south beach to me is getting more and more posh all the time, with more improvements on the way. ;)

Guest Sela V

although spring break brings its fair share of gold "grilled" douche bags to sobe every year if you know where to go you will find a hip, fashionable, well behaved crowd. its just really knowing which spots to hit up on what nite. come next week for conference this will all be a distant memory you will definitely see a change in the crowd demograhpic, as spring comes to a close and conference begins.

go to lincoln road it is relatively thug free, mostly because they cant afford it and the vendors dont really cater to their tacky, obnoxious, gaudy, and over sized taste.

what perplexes me is how this violent,negative, materialistic, insidious music seems to get more popular by the year. hip hop needs more mos defs' and less jeezys' (for sheezy). i feel bad for the 'real' hip hop artist who have to put up with these animals who keep denegrating their genre. oh well, as long as we keep glorifying "pimps, hustlas and thugs" as a viable lifestyle, things wont change. anyways, peace, love and electronic musik!!! but dont worry jsk thugs defintely havent "taken over" the beach, south beach to me is getting more and more posh all the time, with more improvements on the way. ;)

Badly behaved people come in all flavors and genres. That's the truth. What is a SoBe crowd? It's constantly changing, and incorporates all demographics. You say, just wait until next week, but someone posted earlier that they could not wait until the spring breakers and the WMC crowd was out of here. I was attempting to have dinner at a very nice Chinese restaurant on Washington with an out of town friend, and a very "non-thug" gentlemen came into the restaurant and proceeded to harass and threaten the waitress. It took four guys and a can of mace to get him out. He was not on spring break, and he was definitely not into hip hop. He was a mean drunk, and he wanted to start some mess for no reason. This happened two weeks ago when the Boat show was in town. Moronic or douchebag behaviour is an equal opportunity employer.

Guest Mattivi

Badly behaved people come in all flavors and genres. That's the truth. What is a SoBe crowd? It's constantly changing, and incorporates all demographics. You say, just wait until next week, but someone posted earlier that they could not wait until the spring breakers and the WMC crowd was out of here. I was attempting to have dinner at a very nice Chinese restaurant on Washington with an out of town friend, and a very "non-thug" gentlemen came into the restaurant and proceeded to harass and threaten the waitress. It took four guys and a can of mace to get him out. He was not on spring break, and he was definitely not into hip hop. He was a mean drunk, and he wanted to start some mess for no reason. This happened two weeks ago when the Boat show was in town. Moronic or douchebag behaviour is an equal opportunity employer.

im not arguing that... but the topic was pertaining to thugs on the beach.and how yes bad behavior is more prevalent when that element is in town, and that is fact. the topic was not about everyday douchebags, which there are plenty in all walks of life and in all areas, i agree with you there. dont misinterpret me. ;)

Guest Sela V

I see where you are coming from. I'm just pointing out that there are people who feel that the WMC also attracts "undesireables", although they may not go so far as to call them thugs. What I believe is more of a threat than a class of people we identify as "thugs", is thuggish behaviour from people who supposedly should know better.

Guest coach

although spring break brings its fair share of gold "grilled" douche bags to sobe every year if you know where to go you will find a hip, fashionable, well behaved crowd. its just really knowing which spots to hit up on what nite.

This is very true. The hotel lounges are generally thug-free. Anything promoted by Zack & Erica (shhhh), Most of Lincoln Rd, as you mentioned. Segafredo's is always extremely thug-free, even though their prices are actually pretty moderate. And, of course, any place playing relentless house music, like Blue.

Though, some places do get overrun, despite supposedly being locals-only. We were at Ted's Hideaway, hoping to hide away from the breakers. Though there wasn't any actual thug-life in there, there was certainly plenty of loser-breakers who thought they could make time with our local girls. Good for a laugh for a few minutes, but we had to get out of there pretty quick.

Um, end rant.

Guest jsk

Thanks for the additional comments. Glad to hear I just caught SoBe on the wrong night.

I'm definitely looking for more of a classy, low-key scene; if anyone has any specific recommendations, I'd like to hear them (either here or via PM).

BTW, Ted's Hideaway seems aptly named. I've been to Miami a ton of times and coach's post was the first I've ever heard of it.

Thanks again ...

Guest james stratus

although spring break brings its fair share of gold "grilled" douche bags to sobe every year if you know where to go you will find a hip, fashionable, well behaved crowd. its just really knowing which spots to hit up on what nite.

This is very true. The hotel lounges are generally thug-free. Anything promoted by Zack & Erica (shhhh), Most of Lincoln Rd, as you mentioned. Segafredo's is always extremely thug-free, even though their prices are actually pretty moderate. And, of course, any place playing relentless house music, like Blue.

Though, some places do get overrun, despite supposedly being locals-only. We were at Ted's Hideaway, hoping to hide away from the breakers. Though there wasn't any actual thug-life in there, there was certainly plenty of loser-breakers who thought they could make time with our local girls. Good for a laugh for a few minutes, but we had to get out of there pretty quick.

Um, end rant.

Hotel Lounges definitely weren't thug free unfortunately. All I can say is if you end up living here, live on the west side of the Beach (West Ave) or the Northern edge around Lincoln or a little farther up. These areas are more local and much quieter, cleaner, and much less tourist stupidity going on.

Guest jsk

James -- That's interesting. Everyone has been telling me South of Fifth is the place to be, more local scene, etc.