Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Thanks for living here. Here's $200.

Guest rollyp66

Guest rollyp66

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/14330147.htm

MIAMI BEACH

Thanks for living here. Here's $200.

An unexpected bonus is coming to the mailboxes of about 16,000 Miami Beach residents -- no-strings-attached checks for $200 from the city.

BY SUSAN ANASAGASTI

sanasagasti@MiamiHerald.com

Miami Beach residents: The check is in the mail.

About 16,000 Miami Beach taxpayers are getting a check for $200 -- written out in their names -- from the city of Miami Beach.

The catch?

''Nothing,'' Mayor David Dermer said. ``When a government does well, we should be able to share that success.''

The city -- like so many in the state -- is doing particularly well thanks to the local property taxes it collects.

Because of the dramatic rise in property values, the city raked in an additional $17 million, for a total of $109 million, in the last fiscal year.

''A lot of cities are thinking of ways to take the people's money,'' Dermer said.

``We're very proud to give it back to the people, directly in a check. There's nothing wrong with that.''

In fact, City Manager Jorge Gonzalez thinks Miami Beach may be the first city to do this.

''I can't tell you with 100 percent certainty, but it's not a thing that most cities do,'' Gonzalez said.

On Wednesday, the mayor's office was inundated with calls from skeptics who wondered if the checks were part of a scam.

''It's pretty funny,'' said John Heffernan, special advisor to the mayor. ``I had a guy call me and ask if it was a practical joke.''

''Go ahead and cash the check,'' city spokeswoman Nannette Rodriguez added.

``Not only are they real, but there's money in the bank.''

The one-time dividend will cost the city about $3.2 million, which will be paid from its general fund, Heffernan said.

So far, 15,539 checks have been mailed, and many residents have already gotten theirs. Among them: Andrew Torok, 79, and his wife Elizabeth, 60.

Torok fled Budapest for the United States and has been a Beach resident since 1997.

''Since I've been in this country, never have I ever experienced such wonderful treatment from city government,'' Torok said. ``If I could afford it, I would give it to charity.''

Guest coach

I'm gonna run home and check my mailbox!!!!!!!!

Anybody else noticed how well the Washington beautification is going? I'm thinking they could have just settled on actually powerwashing the sidewalks rather than completely replacing them, but either way, they sure to look better.

Guest pod

16,000 out of 89,104.

I'm guessing there was a certain list of qualifications? Either income or home/condo ownership status...

Guest Electric Eel

If its due to property taxes mainly i'm guessing you have to own the place in order to get a check