Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is reggaeton ova?

Guest JMT

Guest JMT

Is reggaeton's fire going out?

By Agustin Gurza

Los Angeles Times

Posted April 16 2006

Reggaeton may be running out of gasolina.

Radio stations that flocked to the thumping Latino hip-hop style have seen their ratings slip in recent weeks. In at least three markets -- Las Vegas, Dallas and Miami -- stations that gambled on the music's growing popularity have since switched back to more traditional musical formats.

One year after the genre exploded onto the scene with Daddy Yankee's revved-up hit Gasolina, reggaeton is suffering from a lack of new artists and fresh material....

FULL STORY: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/lifestyle/sfl-reggaeton-latapr16,0,6635661.story?page=1

The state of reggaeton will be discussed at the Billboard Latin Music Conference April 24-27 at the Ritz-Carlton in South Beach. Reggaeton star Daddy Yankee (Gasolina) will sit down for a keynote Q&A session as part of the four-day gathering of music-industry professionals. Reggaeton duo Angel and Khrys, record producer Boy Wonder and record-company executive Elias de León will represent the genre in panel discussions. The conference, put on by the music-trade magazine Billboard, also features a "We Hear the Future/Escuchamos el Futuro" showcase and contest open to unsigned and independent artists. Call 646-654-4660 or visit billboardevents.com.

Guest Adam Singer

the average person is a sheep to the music industry - and what the music industry lacks in substance they more than make up for in marketing PR efforts...perfect for a generation who needs to be told what is 'in'

spreading press like this simply paves the way for a different kind of uninspired trash to fill the airwaves and seamlessly integrate more background noise into our culture, that a generation will associate with a part of their life (which is probably equally as uninspired)

Guest stryke303

you know what...sheep or no sheep...do we really have the right to try and judge who is truly inspired to make music and who isn't? now, i may not be a fan of reggeton, but i have learned something very valuable being on the board of governors for the grammys...and it's this...music is music. there is good music in every genre just as there is bad music in every genre. i'm a believer in spreading positive music in whatever genre it is. but, i have had the oppurtunity to meet and speak to a few reggaeton artists and producers and some of them have been idiots. however, some of them have been incredibly genuine and passionate about the music they do. who are we to tell them that they should be producing house music or electronic music? i for one am doing my best to not say that any one genre is "uninspired trash" or anything of the like, because that just adds more seperation and negativity to an already boiled over pot of elitism and snobbery. i say we should lead by example...i say that we should be INclusive not EXclusive. another way to look at it is this...BALANCE...if everything was of the same quality...it wouldn't make it special. so, you may not love it, but at least respect it. now, i know some of you may start responding about negative lyric content, etc...and i'm with you...i don't agree with a lot of what rappers and reggaton artists have to say about gangbanging, etc... but, remember, just as there is that "stuff" there are some extremely moving and poignant writers and poets, talking about what they know, what they have experienced, and what they have lost and learned. i for one will not judge those people just because the beat they use isn't the one that i play. let's stop this bashing of musical tastes. it's getting f**king old and it certainly isn't helping our music community or scene.

Guest pod

Gangbang?

Good point. I met this guy once who was a "reggaetonista" or whatever the preferred term was. He played me a track and a video he had put together, the song was a pretty bog-standard track for the genre, but this guy was really driven and hopefully right now he's further along than when I last saw him.

Guest stryke303

you know what...sheep or no sheep...do we really have the right to try and judge who is truly inspired to make music and who isn't? now, i may not be a fan of reggeton, but i have learned something very valuable being on the board of governors for the grammys...and it's this...music is music. there is good music in every genre just as there is bad music in every genre. i'm a believer in spreading positive music in whatever genre it is. but, i have had the oppurtunity to meet and speak to a few reggaeton artists and producers and some of them have been idiots. however, some of them have been incredibly genuine and passionate about the music they do. who are we to tell them that they should be producing house music or electronic music? i for one am doing my best to not say that any one genre is "uninspired trash" or anything of the like, because that just adds more seperation and negativity to an already boiled over pot of elitism and snobbery. i say we should lead by example...i say that we should be INclusive not EXclusive. another way to look at it is this...BALANCE...if everything was of the same quality...it wouldn't make it special. so, you may not love it, but at least respect it. now, i know some of you may start responding about negative lyric content, etc...and i'm with you...i don't agree with a lot of what rappers and reggaton artists have to say about gangbanging, etc... but, remember, just as there is that "stuff" there are some extremely moving and poignant writers and poets, talking about what they know, what they have experienced, and what they have lost and learned. i for one will not judge those people just because the beat they use isn't the one that i play. let's stop this bashing of musical tastes. it's getting f**king old and it certainly isn't helping our music community or scene.

You MUST be Jamaican!!

takes one to know one! ;)

Guest swank

the average person is a sheep to the music industry - and what the music industry lacks in substance they more than make up for in marketing PR efforts...perfect for a generation who needs to be told what is 'in'

spreading press like this simply paves the way for a different kind of uninspired trash to fill the airwaves and seamlessly integrate more background noise into our culture, that a generation will associate with a part of their life (which is probably equally as uninspired)

I'm glad that you answered this Greg as you were considerably more diplomatic than others might have been.

I've noticed this very arrogant/elitist 'I know everything' attitude in Mr. Singers posts as of last. Maybe new job or promotion... ??? has spilled into this confidence.

Guest ramon

the biggest problem with this genre is the lack of new music. the stuff being played out on the radio and cubs is old as hell. you have a few things like 'residente calle 13' dropping a new album and there is supposed to be a new tego calderon album soon, but the lack of new music and just rehashed hits (daddy yankee's recent barrio fino en directo) shows that these people made their millions and are quite happy doing so, but haven't really started to record new material which the genre so desperately needs. last but not least i'm happy people embraced something new it gives me hope regardless if the music is not electronic or not .. its just another movement.

Guest vaughan

VERY well said Greg... and it's the same thing that pisses me off about trance -vs- house -vs- techno and so on...

It still kills me that you get graded on "art"

Guest Adam Singer

stryke - you're right, and i haven't researched enough to say this one way or the other...this post caught me in a jaded mood, didnt mean to stir the waters...

and SWANK - i make it a point to try to go against the grain of everyone else especially when i don't agree (whether im right or wrong)...anything that generates discussion and debate is in essence good for us

to stir emotions whether positive or negative is always better than simply to just exist...id rather bring someone to a level of action through them disliking me strongly or liking me strongly than to feel nothing at all...

what none are talking about because if you bring it up, you will be labeled a racist and bigot.. A good example is this; The NBA has as a percentage of blacks a huge fan base, but why did the NBA clamp down on the hip hop image?? Same reason these stations are moving away from this garbage, the advertisers aren't making any money off the demographic they play to, if they were, these stations would be on the air, has zero to do with new artists. The NBA labled it as "more corp advertisers" in english that means more white folks.. Ever go to a NBA game? I swore only me and Jimmy Buffett were the only white dudes, lol.

Sorta like the same asshole who used a chevy cobalt and vette in the same commercial, a commerical who was done by south florida chevy dealers, and if that commercial ran anywhere else, the vette owners would have torched the offices of chevy's marketing department. Those commercials not only didn't work they hurt the image of the vette and all those who have 60 grand to buy one. They whored the vette out in a desparate attempt to sell more colbalts to minorities, it didn't work... These stations saw short term gains and thought it was gonna last.

Guest ramon

the lack of new music & artists is hurting the genre .. there's literally 4 people getting spins on the radio zion & lennox , wisin & yandel , daddy yankee , don omar. those guys are making mad money while there's so much more to be made. the genre is hot right now and people are actually buying the music *shocker* who wants to hear the same old recycled 5 records on the radio anyway .. i think the genre has plenty of room to grow but it needs new blood. this sounds all too familar doesn't it?

Guest coach

That's funny, I heard a news story about this like 2-3 weeks ago, maybe more. One of the more prominent producers of reggaeton pointed out that since it is music out of the dance clubs, it suffers from the same problems that most club music does, it does not necessarily speak to a person's actual life. Sure, it is great to bump and grind to, but if you are a housewife in hoboken with 3 kids, does it really appeal to your life. This is why both country and rock are so popular, their themes appeal to a wide section of the country's populace.

Guest Adam Singer

One more thing that I think was misinterpreted in my original statement: I didn’t mean to speak strictly about reggeaton or any specific type of music, I was actually talking about the cyclical nature of popular music, the average listener, and their learned pattern to be programmed to what is hip. Modern pop music has got it down to a science how to influence literally millions of people’s musical tastes and preferences.

The popular artist no longer works long and hard and gains a following – they are brought about via publicity schemes, TV shows (look at American Idol), and even from just knowing other celebrities. In a culture of cool, where today’s gem is tomorrow’s trash, audiences are programmed for a type of ‘planned obsolescence’ – it even occurs in dance music. While this obsolescence might not be planned by a mastermind, it is something that has evolved because of the nature of our disposable culture.

It extends beyond music to cars, computers - essentially everything in modern society. We’ve created a culture of disposable art – and even if there are shining examples of quality within subsets of art, they may go unnoticed for years or forever. Essentially I didn’t mean to “dis†reggeaton, I wanted to have a jibe at popular music and culture overall.

Guest coach

The popular artist no longer works long and hard and gains a following – they are brought about via publicity schemes, TV shows (look at American Idol), and even from just knowing other celebrities.

I'm sorry, but this is nonsense on two fronts. First of all, have you spoken to all the pop artists? How do you know how hard they work. Even getting your "start" on something like American Idol doesn't mean you don't have to work your butt off. For a great example of what I mean, watch Brittany Spears' bio someday. Everyone considers her the quintissential pop star, but she busted her ass when she was young to get there. I am not saying that all the pop stars of today had to work their ass of to get there, but the vast majority did.

The second is that quick stardom is a new phenomonon. If you know anything about musical history, you would know that ever since music has been music there have been those very few who, through skill, luck, or usually both, have gotten really popular and really rich without a massive amount of effort. Of course, this is true in any field, not just music.

Guest Adam Singer

The popular artist no longer works long and hard and gains a following – they are brought about via publicity schemes, TV shows (look at American Idol), and even from just knowing other celebrities.

I'm sorry, but this is nonsense on two fronts. First of all, have you spoken to all the pop artists? How do you know how hard they work. Even getting your "start" on something like American Idol doesn't mean you don't have to work your butt off. For a great example of what I mean, watch Brittany Spears' bio someday. Everyone considers her the quintissential pop star, but she busted her ass when she was young to get there. I am not saying that all the pop stars of today had to work their ass of to get there, but the vast majority did.

The second is that quick stardom is a new phenomonon. If you know anything about musical history, you would know that ever since music has been music there have been those very few who, through skill, luck, or usually both, have gotten really popular and really rich without a massive amount of effort. Of course, this is true in any field, not just music.

Sex sells, image sells, music executives know this and work hard to exploit it on our culture. Stars are chosen based on their marketability, not their talent. Just turn on your radio to find this out...

The fact that someone can be launched successfully into the limelight through a television show with the name 'American Idol' says enough.

Guest coach

Sex sells, image sells, music executives know this and work hard to exploit it on our culture. Stars are chosen based on their marketability, not their talent. Just turn on your radio to find this out...

The fact that someone can be launched successfully into the limelight through a television show with the name 'American Idol' says enough.

Like I said, this has always been true, in general. It is not a new phenomenon.

Guest pc

it was for a bit and now its not; face it theres the latin grammies(how and why i still dunno)! so anything spanish will 'be' at one point. and for those whom dont think its a pr driven world, try and tell that to the editors, publicist, pr reps, record label reps, writers, music station pr, regualr press, star, people, tv y novelas, and my god, do i have to go on!

people, please! payola is the hardest working member of any industry!

from tic tacs to music stars!

Guest stryke303

let me just say also, that my post was in no way, shape, or form intended to come down on adam. i've met him and have had the pleasure of speaking to him on many occasions. he's a great and talented guy. i know being in this industry can really get you jaded from time to time. seeing how some people "get lucky" can have a profound effect on someone who is working really hard at making it in the business. however, i feel that the way forward is the continuance of hard work and not looking at everyone else and what they have. i don't blame "pop" music for my problems in the industry. i don't happen to think that all pop music is bad. like i said before, good music is good music. and that's where i leave it. if you jump in my car right now, we may listen to some joris voorn or technasia and in a song or two jump over to some duncan sheik or tribe called quest, or even the adam singer album! so, just wanted to clarify that i'm not trying to jump down adam't throat...just trying to put some balance back into the force ;)

Guest Marina22

Well said 8)

I'm glad stryke said it before I did ;)

and FYI: at first I hated reggaeton.. then it grew on me but due to the lack of creativity in most songs it dried up and fell off, however every once in a while I'll hear something slightly different in somones approach to make reggaeton fresh and some of it i like some of it i don't....

I say PUT THE REGGAE BACK IN REGGAETON!

Guest Diabolique

AMEN to that^^

Hasn't reggaeton been around for some 20 years? when Prodigy and The Chemical Bros made hits, and then electronic music disappeared from the mainstream charts, ppl said EDM was over..and it's SO not. so...that's all I have to say about that.

Welcome to JAMROCK! ^_^ I looove all things reggae-infused. period. ;)

Guest pod

El General and Vico C were producing tracks that could be considered as such in the mid to late 1980s.

Like any form of music, it takes awhile to climb out of the "roots" era and into the main public consciousness. There's occasional blips and blurbs, but I'd dare to say it takes about 20 years for a form of music to become "accepted" by mainstream America. Rock even. It was the devil's music until about the early 70s. Songs that were banned on the radio then became commerical jingles in the 1980s.

Things are a bit quicker nowadays due to the web, but it still takes time for music that is "out there" to become acceptable material to the public.

The nice thing about dance tracks is that there's usually no real lyrics so it's kinda hard to rail on the lyrical content.

Guest pod

Nah. It is like the drunks say, something about dealing with shit you have no control over?

I forgot the wording.

I'm not a big reggaeton fan unless i'm seriously wasted, then it has comic value to me. Ask Ramon.

Nonetheless, by the looks of it, it is here to camp out for a little while longer. I would dare to say if it wasn't so gangsta and had more social commentary like certain hip-hop artists produce, it'd be more legit to the world.