Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Back up your data.

Guest pod

Guest pod

Not even.

Hard drives will fail. Realistically you should look into near-line backups, and offsite storage of copies. There's many schools of thought on what to use, from tape streamers, to multiple hard drives, to DVDs, and Internet storage.

The drive that failed on me was a LaCie as a matter of fact. Somehow, the unit physically malfunctioned. Had to send it to Drive Savers, a data recovery firm.

The bill was no fun. Like major medical procedure no fun.

Guest ILLMATIC

Or you can pick up one of these bad boys!

LaCie Bigger Disk Extreme 2 Terabyte with Triple Interface

Lacie_BiggerDisk_v2.jpg.img?sc=l

I get to see these kinds of toys at work all day.

Guest pod

The nice thing about those is they use a cluster of drives to do the 2 TB total, so it's not like you're totally fucked if there's a problem, unless it goes to multiple drives.

I wonder if you could do some sort of RAID internal on that?

Guest trancepriest

The nice thing about those is they use a cluster of drives to do the 2 TB total, so it's not like you're totally fucked if there's a problem, unless it goes to multiple drives.

I wonder if you could do some sort of RAID internal on that?

You can't... and if there is a problem on one drive you are fucked.

Guest pod

Scratch that then.

Though in theory couldn't you crack the case and pull out the remaining functional ones? This is just a fancy SATA-USB/Firewire adapter casing, right?

Big storage is fun, but redundancy is necessary.

Guest trancepriest

Scratch that then.

Though in theory couldn't you crack the case and pull out the remaining functional ones? This is just a fancy SATA-USB/Firewire adapter casing, right?

Big storage is fun, but redundancy is necessary.

I have the Lacie 500GB... I'm thinking its 2 IDE drives with a RAID 0 controller. SO if one drive dies... you can open the housing and recover the physical drive... but not the data because of the striping.

Guest Civs

Not even.

Hard drives will fail. Realistically you should look into near-line backups, and offsite storage of copies. There's many schools of thought on what to use, from tape streamers, to multiple hard drives, to DVDs, and Internet storage.

The drive that failed on me was a LaCie as a matter of fact. Somehow, the unit physically malfunctioned. Had to send it to Drive Savers, a data recovery firm.

The bill was no fun. Like major medical procedure no fun.

i agree that hdds will fail, however if you use the LAcie for backing your PC drives, would this not be enough?? are you saying that both your PC drives and the Lacie will fail at the same time thus not enough and have to do additioanl back up??

Guest pod

The chance is there, yes. Also, external factors come into play. Fires, the weather, civil unrest.

Offsite storage on resilient media is really the only way to go for mission-critical data.