Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Why should I move to Miami.....?

Guest i_love_house

Guest lulamishka

Oh for fuck's sake. There's materialistic people everywhere. Only place you'll find people who aren't is in the middle of the Gobi desert somewhere. Hell, even then they probably brag to each other on how many goats they have in their herds.

I look around, I see a good bunch co-workers, palm trees, the ocean, and good-looking people walking on the street below. It's all about how you take things in I guess. I feel for you if the only thing you see is the shallowness and materialism, which as I said above, is pretty much present wherever you go. It just manifests itself differently.

You clearly haven't traveled much if you think Miami is just like the rest of the nation. Yes there are shallow people elsewhere but not at the rampant level there are in cities like Miami and LA. Personally I would love to live in a city like Denver or San Fran.

What's holding you back from leaving Miami sooner, in that case?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh for fuck's sake. There's materialistic people everywhere. Only place you'll find people who aren't is in the middle of the Gobi desert somewhere. Hell, even then they probably brag to each other on how many goats they have in their herds.

I look around, I see a good bunch co-workers, palm trees, the ocean, and good-looking people walking on the street below. It's all about how you take things in I guess. I feel for you if the only thing you see is the shallowness and materialism, which as I said above, is pretty much present wherever you go. It just manifests itself differently.

You clearly haven't traveled much if you think Miami is just like the rest of the nation. Yes there are shallow people elsewhere but not at the rampant level there are in cities like Miami and LA. Personally I would love to live in a city like Denver or San Fran.

plan to travel there sometime this year .. san fran that is....

denver seems too cold.. but it seems to be very much geared toward the nuclear family from what ive read about denver

Guest pod

Denver? Geez. Been there done that. SF sounds nice, but there's the dreaded smug!

Shallowness encompasses many forms. Here it's boob jobs, BMWs, and high-test cocaine.

Denver it's ski jaunts to Aspen, Land Rovers, and how many Mexicans work for you.

San Francisco? Never been, but undoubtedly it involves what the emissions level on your car is versus your neighbors. I kid, I kid. But still, the people there undoubtedly compete with each other on a material level somehow.

But you see my point. Shallowness and materialism doesn't necessarily have to mean what it means here. We're all victims and perpetrators of it in some way.

Guest thelurker

What's holding you back from leaving Miami sooner, in that case?

Mainly money, and the fact that I just got a good job. I have to try to cement myself at this place before I leave. However they have offices out west so i'll more than likely request a tranfer once I "put in my time".

I want to make it clear im not one of those people who just finds something wrong wherever they go. On the contrary, I try my best to look on the positive aspect of things. However, Miami, aside from weather has few positive aspects. I've been here for exactly 3 years and grow more weary of this town as time goes by. I can name a variety of reasons but my main gripe is the people. I've lived in alot of places in the U.S. and this city is by far the worst as far as the type of people who live here. Atlanta, D.C. area, San Fran Bay area, Chicago, are all places where i've been and the people are so much nicer. Everyone I know who moves here complains about how hard it is to make friends and to date in this town. It may not be perceptible to some of you who have grown up here and have friends from long ago.

Guest coach

Those of you who think Miami is shallow just don't know the real Miami. I've met some of the nicest people here. A LOT of them. There is some shallowness in Miami, but most of those are from Cali and London and NYC and only stay part of the year.

Those of you who think that Miami does not have an awesome cultural scene, really need to get out from behind their computer more often. I go to at least one art show/opening a month, generally more. In addition, there are numerous playhouses, concert-halls, museums, some of the best independent film screenings, and even a decent amount of poetry.

Those who think that living on South Beach is all about the parties have not lived on South Beach (or have done it wrong).

Those who think there isn't any good EDM going on, well, you just need to read CJ more often.

The weather rules. The people are awesome. You have the ocean right there. And Florida has one of the best State Park systems in the country. Not to mention all the wildlife.

I have never been in a place where I felt more at home than Miami. We visited here 3-4 times before we moved. Before we even knew we wanted to move out of Dallas, and I knew that this was the place for me. It isn't the place for everyone, that's for sure.

Guest pod

I didn't grow up here. I settled in and enjoyed it for what it is.

Like anything I guess it is what you make of it. Shallow is shallow, whether it's BMWs, how many goats you have, who grew your weed, or the size of whatever implants your girlfriend has installed.

Guest LaundryBar

I also love Miami. I was born here but moved around a lot and ended up moving back here. Right now Miami has the best combination of things Im looking for in a city to live in. Its a great place to live.

it's da shit down here...i moved down here last august and have lived in nyc, dc, and miami and this is by far my fav place...though i have to go back to dc for career, i can't wait to save some money and buy a place here in a couple years.....the weather alone will make u happy everyday...beach, the beautiful girls, and the nightlife...while some people like to think that the scene has died here, which may be the case but not imo, there are always options and mad parties every weekend, not to mention that wherever you go you will have the greatest time bc people come down here for one reason only-to get mangled...but besides all that need to look at what career options are here for you, and if you find one, def move down here

where u at now? dc or sobe? i cant keep up bitch!

we need 2 chill asap

miami is all about aesthetics... its a fun place to live no doubt, but the cost of living to income ratio doesnt make it an attractive place to move from that standpoint. do your research before you move to the states, there might be other areas that offer better oppurtunites career and moneywise. i guess it depends on where your priorities are. i live in miami now, and i thought i had more fun when i used to just come and visit from orlando, its different when you actually live here. but if your level headed and responisble, you'll be alright.

true...im from dc like dre4, moved down here bout 5 years ago...have lived for over a year n half in otown, did the whole once/twice a month 3 hour driving, now im finally back in sfl...wouldnt go back to otown...but that's just me...all depends on what u do...i work 80-100 hours a week - setting my own hours up, there is $ to be made in this town...all depends in what carrerr aka path you choose for your lifestyle...

if u want a bit more "culture" than go to west palm, its not major multicultural, but than again who really cares unless ur having a child, ect

moving a lil more up north in broward, where i plan on staying for the next year or more, but that's just me though

play hard work harder

oh yeah another thing that sucks is there are no seasons in miami.. ive never seen a real winter or fall.. shit looks beautiful esp the fall in the NE

$200 bucks gets u round trip to any city/state during winter season, once you've lived in a cold ass state than u got to such a nice climate like down here, u really forget bout all the cold bs weather...-20 wind chills arent fun

Guest HouseJunkie

Those of you who think Miami is shallow just don't know the real Miami. I've met some of the nicest people here. A LOT of them. There is some shallowness in Miami, but most of those are from Cali and London and NYC and only stay part of the year.

Those of you who think that Miami does not have an awesome cultural scene, really need to get out from behind their computer more often. I go to at least one art show/opening a month, generally more. In addition, there are numerous playhouses, concert-halls, museums, some of the best independent film screenings, and even a decent amount of poetry.

Those who think that living on South Beach is all about the parties have not lived on South Beach (or have done it wrong).

Those who think there isn't any good EDM going on, well, you just need to read CJ more often.

The weather rules. The people are awesome. You have the ocean right there. And Florida has one of the best State Park systems in the country. Not to mention all the wildlife.

I have never been in a place where I felt more at home than Miami. We visited here 3-4 times before we moved. Before we even knew we wanted to move out of Dallas, and I knew that this was the place for me. It isn't the place for everyone, that's for sure.

If I go to a playhouse, concert-hall, museum or some independent film screening because I know I will meet a couple of big titty chicks with implants, does that really makes me shallow or not?

Guest coach

If I go to a playhouse, concert-hall, museum or some independent film screening because I know I will meet a couple of big titty chicks with implants, does that really makes me shallow or not?

Probably means you met some old rich dude from NYC or LA who wants to make up for his small penis by showcasing his money on women and having a 2nd home on Star Island.

Guest Philip

Just moved a year ago and it seems like everyday I find myself thinking how happy I am to be here in the MIA

Guest pod

I mean, I won't begrudge anyone the right to move and live where they please, but what I think is odd is the whole "grass is greener" syndrome.

Wherever you go, there's gonna be issues basically, no place is perfect.

Guest Miss_Digital

oh yeah another thing that sucks is there are no seasons in miami.. ive never seen a real winter or fall.. shit looks beautiful esp the fall in the NE

$200 bucks gets u round trip to any city/state during winter season, once you've lived in a cold ass state than u got to such a nice climate like down here, u really forget bout all the cold bs weather...-20 wind chills arent fun

yeah snow is overated hehehe

i love the hot weather how can people live in alaska i ask myself

Guest Cosmigonon

I HATE TO BE negative but..

miami bad

1. hard to meet special someone

speak for yourself buddie...

Guest Seb

This all comes down to the grass being greener on the other side. I've lived in a few diferent cities (Toronto, DC & Miami) so I think I have jurisdiction to comment on Miami. Before I moved here I was pretty naive and I did think that it was WMC year round. Living in DC I used to complain about the EDM scene, weather and people and I thought the answer to my problems was Miami. At first it did answer my problems. Anytime you move to a new city (especially Miami) there is a honeymoon phase. After living here for 2 1/2 years I can now see a few things that are not so great. What I've figured out is that every city has it's positives and negatives, there really isn't one truely better city to live in. It really comes down to what you want and appreciate the most. Overall Miami is a kick ass city. Sure it can be shallow and vane at times and sometimes the people aren't the friendliest but it's a fun city and there's lots to do. Regardless of what some people have said on these boards there is a an alive and kicking EDM scene down here. Trust me spend time in other cities in the US and you will definately realize how good you have it. Maybe the specific genres aren't your cup of tea but at least there is a cup to drink out of. Looking back on my decision to move here, I have no regrets ;D

Guest lulamishka

Maybe the specific genres aren't your cup of tea but at least there is a cup to drink out of.

Amen. :)

Guest ramon

Maybe the specific genres aren't your cup of tea but at least there is a cup to drink out of.

Amen. :)

but i like green tea :'( :'( :'( :'(

I HATE TO BE negative but..

miami plus

1. weather

2. nitelife

3. shopping

4. beaches (if ur into that sorta thing.... and even the beaches here are not all that compared to other places)

miami bad

1. hard to meet special someone

2. very high cost of living vs what you get paid

3 if u have allergies it sucks ass all year round

4. hurricane season

BLING your travel inexperience is showing :-\

Name another city or state where you can enjoy the beach YEAR-ROUND. (you can't even do that in Australia)

Special someone (try Match.com or just pick up a hooker) :P

Cost of Living vs what you get paid... (you've never lived in Cali)

allergies go see a doctor (You'd probably die in TX from ragweed)

Hurricane Season: at least I got time to get the Fu(k out of the way! (ever see a F4 tornado 200 yards away)

Bottom line is like POD said the "grass is greener theory"

Outside of N.Y. you prob won't find a mixture of cultures that resembles Ibiza..

IMO compared to UK you several advantages

FOOD

WOMEN

24-HR CLUBS (close to the city)

BEACHES

WEATHER (Tropical Climate almost year-round)

TRAVEL OPTIONS

WOMEN

most of the negatives you will find worse ones in any U.S. state

Guest i_love_house

wow! havent checked the forum for like 2 days and i cant believe how many people have replied! it seems 50/50. as i said earlier i'm coming down for wmc 2007, so ill get an idea (yes i know all im gonna see is party after party, but ill try to imagine living there). look out for the mad raver with a slight cockney accent and who doesnt pronounce his T's. Anyway you know what I look like!

so get ready! 8)

Guest Cosmigonon

with a slight cockney accent and who doesnt pronounce his T's.

A la Frankie Wilde?

Guest i_love_house

with a slight cockney accent and who doesnt pronounce his T's.

A la Frankie Wilde?

i can, but i just dont coz im not use to it, so for example i say wa-eaa instead of water.