Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Almost 300 people arrested during South Beach Memorial

V. Barbarino

Almost 300 people arrested during South Beach Memorial Day party

The Associated Press

Posted May 27 2006, 2:50 PM EDT

MIAMI BEACH, Fla.--Almost 300 people have been arrested so far during this year's Memorial Day weekend in South Beach, but partygoers were better behaved than in previous years, police said Saturday.

Police would not estimate the number of people jammed into South Beach for a celebration of hip-hop music and culture known as Urban Beach Week during the three-day weekend. But police said they were ready for the flood of tourists and entertainers including rappers Busta Rhymes and P. Diddy.

LocalLinks

``We are anticipating it's going to be the same types of problems we had last year,'' said Bobby Hernandez, Miami Beach police spokesman.

Hernandez said 293 arrests were made since Thursday night, mostly for disorderly conduct and disorderly intoxication.

Last year there were 164 arrests for the same period. In total 550 arrests were made last year, mostly for mostly for disorderly conduct, intoxication and trespassing. About 600 undercover and officers in uniform were on patrol, Hernandez said.

Miami Beach police were being assisted by Miami-Dade County police, City of Miami police, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the Miami-Dade school police.

In 2001, a massive yet unexpected crowd caught the city by surprise. Police struggled with crowd control, and unruly behavior was prevalent.

After that, the city developed a major events plan to deal with the Memorial Day parties.

Guest swank
Guest HouseJunkie

Everyone knows that Miami Beach has the best Jail in the Country, no other jail offers ocean view and serves Pina Colada, people come here from all over the world just to be arrested especially during Memorial Weekend. The number of arrest that nothing to do with the people, their music or their culture.

Guest Justin Johnson

They have waaaaaay more police officers on duty this year, which is why they have more arrests...they are actually ABLE to catch people doing stuff. And that's why the crowds are better behaved. It's true, trust me. I live in the heart of the 'cruising zone' on Collins (btwn 13th & 14th). Yes, the sound systems are loud as fuck, but the crowd is much more in control than last year.

Guest tijuanarave

While hip hop culture is being stomped down on this board, just check out the treatment of ravers less than a year ago...

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Dance_party_broken_up_by_police_in_Utah,_USA

That's just the police being a bunch of pricks. When are there a bunch of arrests around conference time in Miami?.... RARELY, because EDM people behave, unlike Hip Hop thugs.

Guest swank

While hip hop culture is being stomped down on this board, just check out the treatment of ravers less than a year ago...

That's just the police being a bunch of pricks. When are there a bunch of arrests around conference time in Miami?.... RARELY, because EDM people behave, unlike Hip Hop thugs.

ummmm....if I wanted to arrest people on misdemeanors and possession charges....IF I wanted....conference would DEFINITELY be the place to do it....IF I wanted.

Just sayin... ;)

i hear u...don't post the facts on here cuz you're going to be called a hater...

there's no sense in debating...trust me

Guest Sela V

i hear u...don't post the facts on here cuz you're going to be called a hater...

Most of what happens on the beach at any given time does not qualify as "Swiss Family Robinson" material. When the dust clears after this weekend, let's review the stats. I guarantee you that there were way more people who came, partied, and enjoyed themselves then murdered or pillaged. A round of Red Bulls for everyone, it gives you wings!

Guest macboy

Total count so far of 557 included 80% misdemeanors. What they did was flood the streets with cops and arrest disorderly people. Quality of life offenses, just like how NYC did it back in the 90s. Grab as many people as you can for the small stuff and you'll reduce felony crime. It works. All in all I thought it was ok this weekend, except for the traffic. It was at a stand still and these hip hoppers are morons for bringing their cars. The local bus was free this weekend, but it seems I was the only one taking it. ???

On a more important note, 44 guns were confiscated. Thanks to the police.

Most of what happens on the beach at any given time does not qualify as "Swiss Family Robinson" material. When the dust clears after this weekend, let's review the stats. I guarantee you that there were way more people who came, partied, and enjoyed themselves then murdered or pillaged. A round of Red Bulls for everyone, it gives you wings!

for the 10th time u clearly defend these low class thugs...aka the hip hop culture as u call it...i put it in those words because to me it seems that's all you see/read when we say anything in regards to the hip hop community, even though i've personally stated that there are thugs and there are educated, civilized people out there.

how can u be soo sure that all these people had a great time? were u there during the shootings, stabs, and fights at all the nights that these events happened?

what if one of your friends got stabbed, shot, or got the beatdown cuz he just happened to spill cranberry on some "hustler's" shoes...im sure you would be pretty pissed, aggreviated, and wouldn't go back home raving on how wonderfull of a weekend you had in miami.

the chances of shootings, fights, weapons, stabs, white t's, 44's, are much greater when hustler's are roaming the streets...

Guest Sela V

for the 10th time u clearly defend these low class thugs...aka the hip hop culture as u call it...i put it in those words because to me it seems that's all you see/read when we say anything in regards to the hip hop community, even though i've personally stated that there are thugs and there are educated, civilized people out there.

how can u be soo sure that all these people had a great time? were u there during the shootings, stabs, and fights at all the nights that these events happened?

what if one of your friends got stabbed, shot, or got the beatdown cuz he just happened to spill cranberry on some "hustler's" shoes...im sure you would be pretty pissed, aggreviated, and wouldn't go back home raving on how wonderfull of a weekend you had in miami.

the chances of shootings, fights, weapons, stabs, white t's, 44's, are much greater when hustler's are roaming the streets...

I have plenty of friends who went and had a good time. Everyone has their stories, like my one friend who got pulled over by police after leaving Sushi Samba and was never given a reason why. Or another friend who doesn't remember much of the weekend after he went to Wet Willie's but keeps smiling. I'm not justifying any knucklehead behavior, but when people on this board refer to a group of people collectively as "animals", and start using violent and graphic language to describe what they will do to a group of people, it sounds pretty creepy. But in true New York style, I elect to "keep it movin"...Next...

Guest HouseJunkie

I have plenty of friends who went and had a good time. Everyone has their stories, like my one friend who got pulled over by police after leaving Sushi Samba and was never given a reason why. Or another friend who doesn't remember much of the weekend after he went to Wet Willie's but keeps smiling. I'm not justifying any knucklehead behavior, but when people on this board refer to a group of people collectively as "animals", and start using violent and graphic language to describe what they will do to a group of people, it sounds pretty creepy. But in true New York style, I elect to "keep it movin"...Next...

Yeah, I must admit that the 'animal' statement was a bit overboard.

Guest coach

Total count so far of 557 included 80% misdemeanors. What they did was flood the streets with cops and arrest disorderly people. Quality of life offenses, just like how NYC did it back in the 90s. Grab as many people as you can for the small stuff and you'll reduce felony crime. It works. All in all I thought it was ok this weekend, except for the traffic. It was at a stand still and these hip hoppers are morons for bringing their cars. The local bus was free this weekend, but it seems I was the only one taking it. ???

I'm pretty sure this is part of an effort to discourage this crowd from returning next year.

You know, the thing is, if I was a hip-hopper, I'd be really pissed off at the 557 idiots who ruin for the rest of us. I mean, enjoy your music, no matter if it is polka, C&W, or hip-hop, but don't be an asshole about it. Sure, hip-hop (or rap) used to be the music of the revolution, and that was a different thing because it stood for something. But now it is just fluff, like any commercialized music.

So, come, be welcome, listen to all the hip-hop you want, but don't bust the place up. I mean, is that too much to ask? I know there are more behaved hip-hop fans than non-behaved, but the percentage is not high enough yet. If the hip-hop community would just apply some peer pressure to the idiots, they could come to South Beach all they wanted and party all they wanted, and we would welcome them.

Guest JMT

I guarantee you that there were way more people who came, partied, and enjoyed themselves then murdered or pillaged.

lol, so whats a good ratio of stabbings/shootings to regular partiers that makes it an acceptable level?

1 shooting/3 stabbings for every 1000 people?

or 1 shooting OR 1 stabbing death for every 2,500 people?

Guest Sela V

I'm pretty sure this is part of an effort to discourage this crowd from returning next year.

You know, the thing is, if I was a hip-hopper, I'd be really pissed off at the 557 idiots who ruin for the rest of us. I mean, enjoy your music, no matter if it is polka, C&W, or hip-hop, but don't be an asshole about it. Sure, hip-hop (or rap) used to be the music of the revolution, and that was a different thing because it stood for something. But now it is just fluff, like any commercialized music.

So, come, be welcome, listen to all the hip-hop you want, but don't bust the place up. I mean, is that too much to ask? I know there are more behaved hip-hop fans than non-behaved, but the percentage is not high enough yet. If the hip-hop community would just apply some peer pressure to the idiots, they could come to South Beach all they wanted and party all they wanted, and we would welcome them.

I read that there were 117 arrests during the 2006 Winter Music Conference at Ultra alone, and they confiscated a whole bunch of drugs... At any given time, the hammer can descend, and it does not have to be hip hop for it to happen. I see people walking down Ocean Drive with open drinks all the time, coming straight from Wet Willies sippin on a Taxicab... But this past weekend, that same activity would have resulted in an arrest. Don't believe me, watch what happens after MDW is over... You'll see people go right back to walking down the street with their drinks, and they will not get arrested.

Guest tres-b

Memorial Day attracts a quality crowd to South Beach. Too bad they are on their way back to Atlanta as I type... :P

Guest pod

The arrests are usually just "removals" though in any case. Most of those misdemeanor arrests probably got out this morning, and are on their way home with a fine or a slap on the wrist. They lock you up for the weekend so you cause no further issues, and then tell you to get lost on Tuesday.

Guest Sela V

Memorial Day attracts a quality crowd to South Beach. Too bad they are on their way back to Atlanta as I type... :P

And when they get back to Atlanta, I hope they think long and hard about paying a bunch of money to be locked down for the weekend... LOL

Guest tres-b

They lock you up for the weekend so you cause no further issues, and then tell you to get lost on Tuesday.

Keep it simple. If they arent roaming the streets they arent causing trouble.

Guest Sela V

Exactly.

It's akin to being grounded like when you were a kid.

No it's not. It's like paying to go to the movies, and getting arrested if you look at the screen.

Guest coach

I read that there were 117 arrests during the 2006 Winter Music Conference at Ultra alone, and they confiscated a whole bunch of drugs... At any given time, the hammer can descend, and it does not have to be hip hop for it to happen. I see people walking down Ocean Drive with open drinks all the time, coming straight from Wet Willies sippin on a Taxicab... But this past weekend, that same activity would have resulted in an arrest. Don't believe me, watch what happens after MDW is over... You'll see people go right back to walking down the street with their drinks, and they will not get arrested.

If *all* that they were doing was walking down the street quietly drinking their drink, I guarantee you that none of this would have ever come up. Unfortunately, there are a few in the crowd that cause a lot of trouble and this fucks it up for everybody. When so many people are here, the police do not have the kind of time or manpower it would take to really discern between the "good" lawbreakers (walking down the street with a drink in hand minding their own business) and the "bad" lawbreakers (same but causing public nuisances). Remember, that when the first Hip-Hop weekend happened, there was not this huge police presence. The police state has been instituted in response the to irresponisibility of some of the attendees. Had ALL the hip-hoppers been well-behaved from the get-go, then none of this would be necessary.