Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Partying Sober // Fun Read

Guest web_norah

Guest web_norah

do people party sober ? just a question.

The Sober Bunch

Life's a Party for New York Nightlife's Sober Hipsters

by Tricia Romano

It's somewhere between 2 and 4 a.m. and everyone is wasted. It could be any night, any club, anywhere. But tonight, it's a freakishly cold March evening during the Winter Music Conference in Miami, at a club called the Pawn Shop. Beyond the main dancefloor, where hundreds of revelers groove, in the darkened corners of the gargantuan club, you can see people doing drugs. Their heads bob over their hands as they take a sniff off a key; they scamper behind the DJ booth for a quick bump before going out for another grind. In the V.I.P. section — an actual school bus — if you know where to look, cocaine flows almost as freely, if more discreetly, than champagne. In the side room, where a band named Booka Shade plays, girls dance in ecstasy, clearly on Ecstasy, their eyes rolling in the back of their heads, their mouths fixed in a clenched-jaw, pleasure-filled grimace

Though it's Miami, the club is filled with familiar faces from New York's club scene. DJ Justine D. of Motherfucker, one of the most notorious nightlife events in Manhattan, carries a clipboard and walks briskly through the crowd. Princess Superstar, the bottle-blond bad babysitter cum rapper cum DJ, climbs into the booth and gives German superstar DJ Hell a friendly bite on the head. As the French DJ duo Justice pummel the crowd with the Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up," promoters Michael Cohn and DJ Patrick "the Captain" Rood literally whoop it up on the dancefloor, shouting and hollering.

Around 4 a.m., DJ Tommie Sunshine turns up just in time for Hell's set. The crowd has started to thin and you can sense the collective comedown. Sunshine is hard to miss: Standing over six feet tall, he has long blond hair and a bushy beard that makes him look like a disco Jesus, his ever present suit and sunglasses completing the look. He's dancing furiously in the center of the room, his hair flying in his face, his hand gripping a bottle of water.

There's a quote painted on the wall above the bar. It reads: "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

"Oh yeah," Sunshine says, his voice simultaneously registering sarcasm and sincerity, "Dean Martin. I used to live by that."

http://villagevoice.com/nyclife/0622,romano,73365,15.html

Guest swirlundergrounder

do people party sober ? just a question.

The Sober Bunch

Life's a Party for New York Nightlife's Sober Hipsters

by Tricia Romano

Trica Romano??? Holy shit..I know her from Seattle. I have not talked to her in about 10 years right b4 she moved to NYC..

Guest pod

Tell her she sucks. ;D Yeah I'm biased, but portraying a decent club like Pawn Shop like she did was so off base.

Guest web_norah

Tricia is cool peeps, she often writes about the hipster scene // techno glitterati, in NYC.

i am not sure whether she meant to write just about WMC, i think this was more about 'people who used to do drugs, gone sober' still being part of a party scene minus the messiness, excess.

whatever the case, i thought this article presented a good glimpse -wmc and beyond ;D

-- hey at least she wasnt talking about Space ;)

Guest pod

Well whatever club, it was kind of a "sensational" entrance to an article.

Excepting the intro, it was a good article though.

Guest web_norah

;D

i thought so, kind of funny, how all these DJs are all about the green tea and caffeine, no drugs, no substance plan.

i wish she had talked about people who dont touch drugs ever, as opposed to those who once did and now are 'cool' because they 'don't'

Guest pod

Yeah the 23-year old who hasn't done anything would have been an article all on his own.

Not to label the "reformed" ones as bad, but what I kinda sensed from them was a "holier than thou" attitude towards anyone who partakes in anything. Sadly, that attitude is all-too-common amongst reformed drunks and drug users. I mean, the recovery from living live on a permanent binge is something to be admired, but don't talk down on people who still might be either A) in the same situation, or B) choose to maybe have a drink or three on a Friday...

Guest tres-b

This quote is dead on...

"Drugs are the product, hip is the marketing plan. Decades before the advent of lifestyle advertising, hip linked drug use to a lifestyle that is sexy, rebellious, and streetwise. . . . To be hip or high is to be outside the authority of church, state, work, school, and the law. . . . It is the elitism of last resort."

Guest Seb

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

I think that's an Ol' Blue Eyes quote