Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Oasis tops the Beatles in UK's best album poll

Guest JMT

Guest JMT

LONDON, England (AP) -- "Definitely Maybe," the debut album by Oasis, has beaten the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" in a British vote for the greatest album of all time, organizers said Thursday.

The Beatles also took third place with "Revolver" and had three other albums in the Top 100 in the vote staged by British Hit Singles & Albums, an annual publication, and NME.com.

The vote was announced in last year's edition of British Hit Singles & Albums, said editor David Roberts. Anyone could vote for as many as 10 albums, in rank order, and probably 95 percent of the 40,000 votes came from Britain, he said.

The biggest surprise, in Roberts' view, was The Libertines' debut album, "Up the Bracket," at No. 15 -- a strong showing he attributed to singer Pete Doherty's well-publicized involvement with supermodel Kate Moss and his arrests for alleged drug use.

Other albums on the list include U2's "The Joshua Tree" (No. 11), Michael Jackson's "Thriller" (No. 35), the Rolling Stones' "Exile on Main Street," (No. 42), The White Stripes' "Elephant" (No. 59), Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" (No. 84) and the Eagles' "Hotel California" (No. 100).

The top 10:

1. "Definitely Maybe," Oasis.

2. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," The Beatles.

3. "Revolver," The Beatles.

4. "OK Computer," Radiohead.

5. "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?" Oasis.

6. "Nevermind," Nirvana.

7. "The Stone Roses," The Stone Roses.

8. "Dark Side of the Moon," Pink Floyd.

9. "The Queen Is Dead," The Smiths.

10. "The Bends," Radiohead.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/01/music.britishalbumvote.ap/index.html

Guest Philip

4. "OK Computer," Radiohead. o yeah baby

8. "Dark Side of the Moon," Pink Floyd. 'The Division Bell' was better

9. "The Queen Is Dead," The Smiths. Morrissey rox

Guest BIOBLIZZARD

They changed the course of music history.....

When they played at Knebworth in front of 125,000 people it was surreal.

Guest pontifex

Fucking disgraceful. A bunch of yobs beat out the Fab Four?

Seriously. What, did they poll only kids in junior high? The fact that no led zepplin albums made a british list says volumes about this poll, imo.

Guest b00tyman07

Seriously. What, did they poll only kids in junior high? The fact that no led zepplin albums made a british list says volumes about this poll, imo.

my sentiments exactly

Guest Cosmigonon

True

Guest jamu

my sentiments exactly

I second that motion. And for the record Darkside of the Moon is a Master Piece of Pioneering work. The Division Bell was mediocre at best. And some of their most original work came around when Sid Barrett was around.

Guest BIOBLIZZARD

my sentiments exactly

I second that motion. And for the record Darkside of the Moon is a Master Piece of Pioneering work. The Division Bell was mediocre at best. And some of their most original work came around when Sid Barrett was around.

I'll agree with you about The Division Bell, the only track worthy, or reminiscent of Roger Waters was "High Hopes".

I had fun at the concert but that might have been due to all the pot smoke being blown in my face by the majority of the crowd.

As far as the Oasis hater's, I can understand hating Noel and Liam Gallagher because of their antic's, however musically they have been hailed by many critic's as the modern day BEATLES.

I might be a little partial to them due to the fact that I was inspired by Richard Ashcroft(The Verve) and still am.

Guest JMT

maybe, i dont really want to know, how your garden grows, cause i just want to fly...

i second the notion that this list is a bit whack without ANY zeppelin.

deacon, i am so jealous. i would give my firstborn to go back and see the pulse tour.

as far as division bell vs. dark side, while "high hopes" is an outstanding tune, dark side wins hands down. imo, its the epitome of floyd, who they were, what they were about.

i second the notion that this list is a bit whack without ANY zeppelin.

deacon, i am so jealous. i would give my firstborn to go back and see the pulse tour.

as far as division bell vs. dark side, while "high hopes" is an outstanding tune, dark side wins hands down. imo, its the epitome of floyd, who they were, what they were about.

i agree on all points ;D

Guest Philip

Dark Side of the Moon is definitely...

the epitome of floyd, who they were, what they were about.

Guest BIOBLIZZARD

>:( i love the beatles

i hated that wonder wall song

Isn't it ironic............

The song takes its name from the 1968 album Wonderwall Music by George Harrison, at the time still a member of the Beatles. Harrison's album was in fact a soundtrack to the film Wonderwall, but the film has faded into relative obscurity

Guest Devilicious

my sentiments exactly

agreed.

And what about the Rolling Stones? Stone Roses my ass. ::)

Guest pod

I'm not. They do what they do, but I think Zep should occupy the #1 slot.

Stone Roses were quite influential in their day though.

Guest jamu

1. Beatles

2. Pink Floyd

3. Led Zepplin

4. Jimi Hendrix

5. Elvis Presely

Anything after that is quiet frankly opinion :P.

Guest Major

1. Beatles

2. Pink Floyd

3. Led Zepplin

4. Jimi Hendrix

5. Elvis Presely

Anything after that is quiet frankly opinion :P.

You may aswell add these 5 while you're at it.

6. The who

7. Rolling Stones

8. Queen

9. AC/DC

10. Black Sabath

Most of these rock bands wouldn't exist if it wasn't for The Beatles... but its all very subjective end of the day.

Guest Major

LONDON, England (AP) -- "Definitely Maybe," the debut album by Oasis, has beaten the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" in a British vote for the greatest album of all time.

The top 10:

1. "Definitely Maybe," Oasis.

2. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," The Beatles.

3. "Revolver," The Beatles.

4. "OK Computer," Radiohead.

5. "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?" Oasis.

6. "Nevermind," Nirvana.

7. "The Stone Roses," The Stone Roses.

8. "Dark Side of the Moon," Pink Floyd.

9. "The Queen Is Dead," The Smiths.

10. "The Bends," Radiohead.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/01/music.britishalbumvote.ap/index.html

Not a bad list... although i'd have moved #2 & #3 up one notch,and moved #1 down 2 :)

The Beatles just miss out on being #1, look at the fact that 40 years on they are still competition to rival modern acts.

Definitely Maybe & (What's the story) morning glory are both fantastic albums.... will they be in top 10 in 40 years time? who knows but i suspect perhaps not.

I agree with Dan,Zeppelin should be in there.. say oppose to Radiohead or Nirvana although i am Radiohead fan but remember this is NME - the readers are quite young.

MOVE ON!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lulamishka

If anyone wants a free copy of the Definitely Maybe album, I'll give it to ya!

I apparently had it in my CD tower. I don't want it. So yea, its free for the taking. PM me.