Clubplanet Nightlife Community

An Inconvenient Truth

Guest swirlundergrounder

Guest slamminshaun

They should've called this True Lies part 2. Al Gore as Tom Arnold.

Limiting carbon emissions to combat warming would create jobs and prosperity? In the next ten years, a new ice age may descend on Europe? Al Gore knows more about hurricanes then Max Mayfield? What about this guilt trip about America causing more global warming than any other country? If it isn't bad enough, Gore used his dead sister and his son's near fatal accident to sell global warning in the film....

Finally, he made a big point of how a nonscientist at the White House had rewritten scientific reports on global warming because his income depended on it, but Gore never explained how he is able to afford travel all over the world to give 1000's of slide presentations in support of global warming?

Have I seen the film? Nope....transcripts are available online for one's reading pleasure. That's enough for me.

Damn, Shawn >:( So what you think that this is all bs? Like Miguel said, where is the proof from the other side of the argument? As far as the U.S. causing more global warming than any other country, of course it does! I don't know if they include Canada but the third world countries cannot possibly catch up to what we expend b/c we just simply consume more. What are you doing for the environment? Oh I forgot, you drive an SUV, right?

Yes, I do drive an SUV...but Al Gore flies around the globe in a wasteful, private jet that burns 50 gallons per second!!! So in the end, who pollutes more? Me or Al Gore?? If he was such a true environmentalist, wouldn't he fly in a solar-powered airplane instead??? Can't he give his speeches via closed circuit TV so he doesn't have to pollute our "fragile" environment? I'm not gonna let a guy like Al Gore tell me how to live when he's the biggest offender of them all....so why don't you send an email to Al Gore and ask him what he's done for the environment lately. Al Gore = All Talk, No Action

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest swirlundergrounder

Limiting carbon emissions to combat warming would create jobs and prosperity? In the next ten years' date=' a new ice age may descend on Europe? Al Gore knows more about hurricanes then Max Mayfield? What about this guilt trip about America causing more global warming than any other country? If it isn't bad enough, Gore used his dead sister and his son's near fatal accident to sell global warning in the film....

Finally, he made a big point of how a nonscientist at the White House had rewritten scientific reports on global warming because his income depended on it, but Gore never explained how he is able to afford travel all over the world to give 1000's of slide presentations in support of global warming?

Have I seen the film? Nope....transcripts are available online for one's reading pleasure. That's enough for me.

[/quote']

Damn, Shawn >:( So what you think that this is all bs? Like Miguel said, where is the proof from the other side of the argument? As far as the U.S. causing more global warming than any other country, of course it does! I don't know if they include Canada but the third world countries cannot possibly catch up to what we expend b/c we just simply consume more. What are you doing for the environment? Oh I forgot, you drive an SUV, right?

Yes, I do drive an SUV...but Al Gore flies around the globe in a wasteful, private jet that burns 50 gallons per second!!! So in the end, who pollutes more? Me or Al Gore?? If he was such a true environmentalist, wouldn't he fly in a solar-powered airplane instead??? Can't he give his speeches via closed circuit TV so he doesn't have to pollute our "fragile" environment? I'm not gonna let a guy like Al Gore tell me how to live when he's the biggest offender of them all....so why don't you send an email to Al Gore and ask him what he's done for the environment lately. Al Gore = All Talk, No Action

Whatever Shaun. Al Gore does more than you do spreading awareness about the environment casuing people who listen to him to change their current lifestyle and be less wasteful.

Guest slamminshaun

Whatever Shaun. Al Gore does more than you do spreading awareness about the environment casuing people who listen to him to change their current lifestyle and be less wasteful.

And if you believe people change their lifestyle because Al Gore told them to, I've got some swampland to sell ya...I suppose Chevy Chase, Gwenyth Paltrow, and Drew Barrymore are great Americans too because they went on TV and told Americans not to drive SUV's and change their lifestyle...all the while, they each own and drive SUV's themselves!

Guest swirlundergrounder

And if you believe people change their lifestyle because Al Gore told them to' date=' I've got some swampland to sell ya...I suppose Chevy Chase, Gwenyth Paltrow, and Drew Barrymore are great Americans too because they went on TV and told Americans not to drive SUV's and change their lifestyle...all the while, they each own and drive SUV's themselves!

[/quote']Why don't you read some of the posts above? Someone up there mentioned that they are now going to get a hybrid vehicle asap after seeing this movie.

It's not that Al Gore casts somekind of vodoo spell on people to make them change their lives but he give people information to help them make decisions about what direction they may want to go with a certain aspect of their lives.

Just like how Rush Limbaugh and George W Bush feed you a bunch of bullshit everyday and you make decisions based on that bullshit info...

Just like how you think the info that Al Gore feeds me is bullshit...

You get feed bullshit. I get feed bullshit. We just choose to believe in different kinds of bullshit.

Except the bullshit you believe smells a lot worse!!!

;D

Guest mp3some

Limiting carbon emissions to combat warming would create jobs and prosperity? In the next ten years' date=' a new ice age may descend on Europe? Al Gore knows more about hurricanes then Max Mayfield? What about this guilt trip about America causing more global warming than any other country? If it isn't bad enough, Gore used his dead sister and his son's near fatal accident to sell global warning in the film....

[/quote']

Damn dude.... it must really suck to be so narrow-minded.... I still dont understand your reluctance to look at the issue from a neutral standpoint, with all the politics aside.

I dont even want to argue with you because the facts are out there staring at you. The film says a lot, but all the other links take it even farther. This is an issue that concerns every country and every citizen of the world, but sadly only very few can make a difference.

If you are being an instigator I can understand, being in a msgboard and all; but if you really are this blind to the issue then i just have to feel sorry for you, man.

:P

More facts @: http://www.ipcc.ch/

The role of the IPCC is to assess on a comprehensive, objective, open and transparent basis the scientific, technical and socio-economic information relevant to understanding the scientific basis of risk of human-induced climate change, its potential impacts and options for adaptation and mitigation. The IPCC does not carry out research nor does it monitor climate related data or other relevant parameters.

"There appears to be a concerted and systematic effort by some individuals to undermine and discredit the scientific process that has led many scientists working on understanding climate to conclude that there is a very real possibility that humans are modifying Earth's climate on a global scale. Rather than carrying out a legitimate scientific debate through the peer-reviewed literature, they are waging in the public media a vocal campaign against scientific results with which they disagree."

::)

from An open letter to Ben Santer

Guest slamminshaun

I see, so if someone doesn't AGREE with your opinion they're just "narrow-minded". That's the best you got? I have no problem looking at any issue from a neutral standpoint, including global warming. But are you trying to tell me Al Gore is neutral on this issue??? Use your fuckin' brain man...that's like saying Michael Moore is neutral when it comes to George Bush. But you know what's funny? Alot of people actually think so....we call them "narrow minded" people.

Guest mp3some

I see' date=' so if someone doesn't AGREE with your opinion they're just "narrow-minded". That's the best you got? I have no problem looking at any issue from a neutral standpoint, including global warming. But are you trying to tell me Al Gore is neutral on this issue??? Use your fuckin' brain man...that's like saying Michael Moore is neutral when it comes to George Bush. But you know what's funny? Alot of people actually think so....we call them "narrow minded" people.

[/quote']

Dude, It has nothing to do with agreeing with me. You perceive an inconvenient truth as a direct attack to your beloved president. The Gore = Moore analogy couldnt be more wrong.

Here's a Definition for you:

nar·row-mind·ed - adj.:Not broad or elevated in scope or understanding; lacking tolerance or flexibility or breadth of view; or rigidly adhering to a particular sect or its doctrines

YES Al Gore was a political figure and YES he may be 'biased' as he speaks about the issue with true sentiment, BUT appearently you can't get over the fact that the guy presenting the issues is just a high profile Narrator. You could have Billy the Marlin present the facts and you would still find an excuse to diss the message.

This guy is not making up the results of scientific analysis.

I have posted links to the most unbiased sources of information out there and you still can't see past the image of Al Gore.

It really is sad.

There is nothing worse than a blind man who doesn't want to see.

.- :-X

Guest slamminshaun

I love CJ because perceptions mean more then reality. First, I don't know where Bush came into this...but I wouldn't exactly say he's my "beloved" president. Second, I can throw links around just like you can proving that plants and birds cause global warming. Hell, I can prove that Hummers are better for the environment then Hybrids. Narrow-minded to me means you blindly believe what the global warming "experts" tell you and totally dismiss any scientific theory that contradicts it....keep holding onto that theory if it makes you sleep better at night, meanwhile, I've got a date at Chevron.

Guest mp3some

I have posted links to the most unbiased sources of information out there and you still can't see past the image of Al Gore.

It really is sad.

There is nothing worse than a blind man who doesn't want to see.

.- :-X

Guest Spankmeister

I have yet to see this...

But I have no doubt that Global Warming is not a myth, it is a fact...

Guest swirlundergrounder

I have yet to see this...

But I have no doubt that Global Warming is not a myth, it is a fact...

ooooohhhhh..you just lost all your points that you earned from Slammin Shaun today.. :P

I think that Shaun does believe in global warming. But he thinks a bunch of birds from Canada who shit in the Hudson Bay causes global warming not a human being from the United States who on average creates 20 tons of trash per year...LOL :P

Guest JMT
a human being from the United States who on average creates 20 tons of trash per year...LOL :P

are you joking? bc the real number is obscene but not nearly that high.

Guest swirlundergrounder
a human being from the United States who on average creates 20 tons of trash per year...LOL :P

Non it was a typo... The average person around the world creates 4.4 pounds of trash a day (1606 lbs per year). The average American creates 2 tons of trash per year..

Guest JMT

Non it was a typo... The average person around the world creates 4.4 pounds of trash a day (1606 lbs per year). The average American creates 2 tons of trash per year..

im pretty sure the 4.4 lbs per day figure you listed is for americans. and the rest of the world is less than that.

Guest swirlundergrounder

im pretty sure the 4.4 lbs per day figure you listed is for americans. and the rest of the world is less than that.

The average American shits 4.4 pounds down the toilet a day. So their trash (cans, paper, bottles etc) makes up the other 2300 pounds a year... :P

Guest mp3some

SO,

About the film, for those who haven't seen it and are still debating its value:

Reviews:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/inconvenient_truth/

Showtimes:

http://movies.aol.com/movie/an-inconvenient-truth/24916/main

Plot Synopsis:

Director Davis Guggenheim eloquently weaves the science of global warming with Mr. Gore's personal history and lifelong commitment to reversing the effects of global climate change. A longtime advocate for the environment, Gore presents a wide array of facts and information in a thoughtful and compelling way. "Al Gore strips his presentations of politics, laying out the facts for the audience to draw their own conclusions in a charming, funny and engaging style, and by the end has everyone on the edge of their seats, gripped by his haunting message," said Guggenheim. An Inconvenient Truth is not a story of despair but rather a rallying cry to protect the one earth we all share. "It is now clear that we face a deepening global climate crisis that requires us to act boldly, quickly, and wisely," said Gore.

Roger Ebert, the noted film critic of the Chicago Sun-Times, is an unblushing admirer of "An Inconvenient Truth." He writes: "In 39 years, I have never written these words in a movie review, but here they are. You owe it to yourself to see this film. If you do not, and you have grandchildren, you should explain to them why you decided not to." Even if your first grandchild has yet to arrive, go see "An Inconvenient Truth."

.- 8)

Guest swirlundergrounder

If you want to end the debate with people who doubt green house gases are harmful then just ask them this question....

"What happens to those deadly gases? Do they just disappear into thin air"?

If you were locked in a room with a car and someone turned on the engine you would die in minutes from the fumes.

When I ask this question they can never give me an answer...

Guest swirlundergrounder

So did you watch the film already?! ??? ;D

Next week when my girls mom arrives. We don't have a baby sitter and my wife swears that if I see it without her she will kill me....

Guest jamu

I already ask Shuan to speak to a real scientist who is close to people doing important research in this field, and has been published in Peer Reviewed Journals for his work. So far he hasn't taken the challenge, so as far as I am concerned the peron spreading the lies would be shaun and his lame theory that global warming doesn't exsist. But he gets his information from Republican funded papers, I get mine from a researcher who spend 6 months in the Trumford Norway Observatory and 3 years in Arecibo Puerto Rico. Keep up with the good work Shaun, you might continue to convince people that don't know how to read or research.

There is nothing worse then a blind man, who can't come to grips with the truth.

Guest swirlundergrounder

I already ask Shuan to speak to a real scientist who is close to people doing important research in this field, and has been published in Peer Reviewed Journals for his work. So far he hasn't taken the challenge, so as far as I am concerned the peron spreading the lies would be shaun and his lame theory that global warming doesn't exsist. But he gets his information from Republican funded papers, I get mine from a researcher who spend 6 months in the Trumford Norway Observatory and 3 years in Arecibo Puerto Rico. Keep up with the good work Shaun, you might continue to convince people that don't know how to read or research.

There is nothing worse then a blind man, who can't come to grips with the truth.

You're totally wrong. Shaun does believe in global warming. He just thinks a bunch of Canadian geese causes it more than man does...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jamu

I called this weeks ago....I knew someone would catch on. Thanks to USA Today.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2006-08-09-gore-green_x.htm

And what does that have what to do with the fact that he is right on what is going on in the world?

Lame attempt at trying to poo poo the argument. Oh and by the way... I really can't believe much of what the guy writes when he is the author of

"Peter Schweizer in his new book Do As I Say (Not As I Do): Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy" From what I read this guy is even worse by anyones standard the Gore. Did a little research on the guy and his articles if not bs border on a lot of BS. So I wonder what the guy really called about if he even did.

Just a slightly biased source. And your still cowarding around the topic which is that it (global warming) is a real phenomena and their are no scientists (those who accually write in peer reviewed journals) in question or in doubt about the theory. And again you need to back down because you don't know enough to argue' date=' and [b']you are unwilling to talk to an actual expert on the topic. So Shaun

STFU.