Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Chase Utley extends hit sreak to 32 games...

Guest swirlundergrounder

How much longer will the streak continue??  

1. 1. How much longer will the streak continue??

Guest swirlundergrounder

PHI_utley_71178.jpg

Phillies slugger Chase Utley extended his consecutive hit streak to 32 games tonight (Monday July 31st)

Only 6 men in major league history have hit in 40 or more consecutive games in a season.

Joe Dimaggio had 56 straight games with a hit for the MLB record

The other 5..

Willie Keeler 44

Pete Rose 44

Bill Dahlen 42

George Sisler 41

Ty Cobb and Paul Molitor 40 games each!

I say 38 games.....

Guest dahzel

everyone always fizzles out in the mid 30's. i think he'll take it into the 40's. dimaggio's record is going to be REALLY hard to beat

Guest slamminshaun

everyone always fizzles out in the mid 30's. i think he'll take it into the 40's. dimaggio's record is going to be REALLY hard to beat

Nobody will touch Joltin' Joe's record. No way.

Guest dahzel

i was saying to someone last night that it is comparable to williams .400 batting average. w/ today's pitching these 2 records are going to stand for a while

Guest swirlundergrounder

i was saying to someone last night that it is comparable to williams .400 batting average. w/ today's pitching these 2 records are going to stand for a while

Ichiro Suzuki has a chance every year to break both of these records..

Guest swirlundergrounder

The difference between the pitching of today vs the pitching back then is relative.

You can say the same thing about the hitting of today vs the hitting back then also....

Guest dahzel

i agree but he isn't having a good season this year. i think it'll be equally as long if not longer for anyone to win the triple crown. the triple crown might actually never be done again. there's too many power hitter's.

Guest swirlundergrounder

And one more thought. Ted Williams Avg of .406 is no doubt one of sprts greatest records which still stnads today.

But you also have to take into account that there were less teams with less pitchers back then so he faced a lot of the same men more so then then hitters facing more pitchers today....

Guest swirlundergrounder

i agree but he isn't having a good season this year. i think it'll be equally as long if not longer for anyone to win the triple crown. the triple crown might actually never be done again. there's too many power hitter's.

Last year when Ichiro broke George Sislers record for total hits in a season the only thing that prevented him from batting .400 for the season was he had a bad April. He batted something like .225 for the month of April last year...

Guest slamminshaun

And one more thought. Ted Williams Avg of .406 is no doubt one of sprts greatest records which still stnads today.

But you also have to take into account that there were less teams with less pitchers back then so he faced a lot of the same men more so then then hitters facing more pitchers today....

Ted Williams doesn't have the record, he's just the last guy to break .400. I think the guy with the record had something like a .422 average.

Ichiro's lousy April didn't really prevent him from hitting .400, it's the fact he doesn't walk much that did. I mean, despite a lousy April, he still broke the record for base hits. Batting average is simply a percentage of how many times you get a hit per at-bat. He had way too many at-bats, and since walks only count as a plate appearance (not an at-bat) his batting average would have skyrocketed if he had walked more.

Guest slamminshaun

the triple crown might actually never be done again. there's too many power hitter's.

Albert Pujols? He could do it. Barry Bonds had a shot, but came up short on RBI's.

Guest swirlundergrounder

Ted Williams doesn't have the record' date=' he's just the last guy to break .400. I think the guy with the record had something like a .422 average.

Ichiro's lousy April didn't really prevent him from hitting .400, it's the fact he doesn't walk much that did. I mean, despite a lousy April, he still broke the record for base hits. Batting average is simply a percentage of how many times you get a hit per at-bat. He had way too many at-bats, and since walks only count as a plate appearance (not an at-bat) his batting average would have skyrocketed if he had walked more.

[/quote']I know what batting average is man... :P

Ted Williams is the only man to hit for an average over .400 for a season.

Who the hell batted .422..?? lol

Guest dahzel

Ted Williams doesn't have the record, he's just the last guy to break .400. I think the guy with the record had something like a .422 average.

I know what batting average is man... :P

Ted Williams is the only man to hit for an average over .400 for a season.

Who the hell batted .422..?? lol

thats exactly what i would've said if i felt like wasting my time to clarify it... thanks TJ

Guest JMT

highest batting averages on record:

AL - Napoleon Lajoie, Philadelphia, .426 in 1901 (considered the highest avg. of the modern game)

NL - Hugh Duffy, Boston, .440 in 1894 (before the existence of the American League)