Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bush assassination

Guest sross

Guest sross

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5302598.stm

Row over Bush TV 'assassination'

Death of a President

Enlarge Image

The Republican Party in Texas has said it is "shocking" and "disturbing" that a TV drama is to depict the assassination of US President Bush.

Death of a President uses archive footage, actors and computer effects to portray the president being shot dead.

UK broadcaster Channel 4, who made the mock documentary, said it explored the effects of the War on Terror on the US.

But Gretchen Essell, a spokeswoman for the Republican Party of Texas, called for it not to be screened.

I don't know if there are many people in America who would want to watch something like that

Gretchen Essell

Republican Party of Texas

"I cannot support a video that would dramatise the assassination of our president, real or imagined," she told the Press Association news agency.

"The greater reality is that terrorism still exists in our world. It is obvious that the war on terror is not over.

"I find this shocking, I find it disturbing. I don't know if there are many people in America who would want to watch something like that."

The 90-minute film shows Mr Bush being targeted by a sniper during anti-war rally in Chicago in 2007.

He is confronted by a demonstration when he arrives in the city to deliver a speech to business leaders and is shot as he leaves the venue.

The ensuing investigation focuses on a Syrian-born man.

'Irresponsible'

A White House spokesman said of the programme: "We are not going to comment because it does not dignify a response."

The drama will have its world premiere at next month's Toronto Film Festival before a screening on UK digital channel More4.

John Beyer of UK TV pressure group MediaWatch said the film was "irresponsible".

He said it could even trigger a real assassination attempt and told the Daily Mirror: "There's a lot of feeling against President Bush and this may well put ideas into people's heads."

There will be people who will be upset by it but when you watch it you realise what a sophisticated piece of work it is

Peter Dale

Head of More4

Peter Dale, head of More4, described it as a "thought-provoking critique" of contemporary US society.

He said: "It's an extraordinarily gripping and powerful piece of work, a drama constructed like a documentary that looks back at the assassination of George Bush as the starting point for a very gripping detective story.

"It's a pointed political examination of what the War on Terror did to the American body politic.

"I'm sure that there will be people who will be upset by it but when you watch it you realise what a sophisticated piece of work it is.

"It's not sensationalist or simplistic but a very thought-provoking, powerful drama. I hope people will see that the intention behind it is good."

Producers of the film, which is directed by Gabriel Range, hope to sell the broadcast rights to the US.

Death of a President will be shown on More4 on 9 October.

Guest slamminshaun

"A thought-provoking critique of contemporary American society..." Please, if the guy would just come out with it and say he hates the president and wishes life would imitate art I'd respect him more. It's a movie aimed at cashing in on Bush-haters. To say its anything more then that is ignorant. Anyone going to watch this is truly a sucker.

Guest saintjohn

I don't remember much of a reaction to The Package, the 1989 movie which revolved around a plot to assassinate Bush and/or Gorbachev (sorry, I can't remember exactly). Of course, the world was different then.

Guest Devilicious

"A thought-provoking critique of contemporary American society..." Please' date=' if the guy would just come out with it and say he hates the president and wishes life would imitate art I'd respect him more. It's a movie aimed at cashing in on Bush-haters. To say its anything more then that is ignorant. Anyone going to watch this is truly a sucker.

[/quote']

lmao... I love it. I can just picture you sweating as you pound away at your keyboard, so upset over something you know nothing about. Don't you realize by judging it before seeing it, and refusing to see it, YOU are the one who is coming off ignorant?

Guest slamminshaun

"A thought-provoking critique of contemporary American society..." Please, if the guy would just come out with it and say he hates the president and wishes life would imitate art I'd respect him more. It's a movie aimed at cashing in on Bush-haters. To say its anything more then that is ignorant. Anyone going to watch this is truly a sucker.

lmao... I love it. I can just picture you sweating as you pound away at your keyboard, so upset over something you know nothing about. Don't you realize by judging it before seeing it, and refusing to see it, YOU are the one who is coming off ignorant?

Sweating? Hardly. You ought to try to picture me laughing my sack off. Here's a rundown of "Movie Junkies" on CJ (not aimed at you dear, in general).....

WTC - "Too soon! I'll pass, no thank you. A 10% donation? WTF is that about? I don't believe 10% of the proceeds is nearly enough of a donation. Stone could've given more. Oliver Stone is suckering you into taking your $$$ We need less movies profiting from tragedies"

Spike Lee's Katrina Movie - "Too soon? Shit, if anything too late. They really nailed Bush....great movie! I watched it three times! We need more movies like this, and I don't think it was meant to profit from people's tragedies"

United 93 - "Too soon...you're a sucker for watching it. You're ignorant if you think they made this movie for anything other then profiting from people's pain and death. I don't support profiting from people's pain".

Fahrenheit 9/11 - "Oh man, you gotta see this. A brilliant documentary. Totally factual. Who cares if Michael Moore didn't donate any money to help the troops, what's that matter anyway??? He didn't profit from the pain of 9/11 like WTC did"

Is it any wonder I don't take movie recommendations or reviews on here seriously? I'm told I'm ignorant for considering watching WTC because it profits from people's death, yet now I'm ignorant for considering not watching a film that panders to Bush-haters. I mean, c'mon...look at the title of this thread. It's not even the name of the fuckin' movie!! The ONLY reason people will go see this is so they can watch Bush get killed....if a movie came out with Osama having his head cut off, I'd admit that's why I'm going to see it....but instead of admitting it, people are hiding behind this "serious artistic value, blah blah blah" and it makes you look ridiculous. You wanna see Bush get shot, just say it.

Guest pod

I don't pay attention to Movie Junkies since no one went out to review Beerfest.

But that's just me.

If they want to make a dramatization of Bush being assassinated, then so be it. Besides, the filmmakers are English, so they aren't subject to US law.

Even if they were US-based, I wouldn't see a major issue. Political figures do not deserve special protections.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mp3some

Same charachter who still believes Global Warming is a hoax, made up by Al Gore to push his political agenda... ::)

Same guy who's been confronted with the truckload of FACTS above and beyond the content of the film "An inconvenient truth".

Still refusing to see it...

(last thing I know anyways - Unless he decided to go see it)..........

Zero Cred.

Guest slamminshaun

Interesting...

click here

You can think it's despicable and still recognize its right to exist.

It has every right to exist....just like those cartoons drawn up of Mohammad that caused such a stir. I thought it was a little over-the-top for Clinton to say the artists should be arrested.