Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJ SPINNA @ AQUABOOTY!!! 1st ever Miami club date.

Guest tbooty

Guest tbooty

Join Aquabooty Saturday September 23rd

for an evening of

INTERGALACTIC SOUL

As we welcome for the the first ever Miami club date..

Legendary NYC Dj / producer

DJ SPINNA (Wonnderwax records/ NYC)

@ Glass 432 41st st Miami Beach.

Know as a prolific producer and one of the greatest all around party rockin djs in the world Vincent “DJ Spinna†Williams is something of an anomaly in dance music. A humbling example of what it takes to truly succeed within the framework of multiple fields. A steadfast work ethic, an obsessively extensive vinyl library and the willingness to pursue the full extents of his roots (Funk, Soul and Jazz), foundation (Hip-Hop) and future (House Electronic/Dance music) with no restraints.

A cornerstone of Hip-Hop’s late 90’s indie-uprise, DJ Spinna made much of his first impression on listeners as the musical background of his group The Jigmastas (having released an impressive slew of 12†singles on his then self-run label Beyond Real during this time) as well as providing the canvas for an array of that era’s lyrical giants. As an emcee in New York City, if you didn’t have a Spinna production under your belt, well, you just hadn’t accomplished all there was to accomplish. Everyone from Mos Def, Talib Kweli to Pharaohe Monch boasted Spinna beats to prove their worth to the scene. At the height of indie-kingpin Rawkus Records heyday, Spinna was in demand, also churning out timeless classics of the era from the likes of J-Live, Mr. Complex and The Polyrhythm Addicts (his all-too-brief collabo-group with Apani B., Shaabam Sadeeq and Complex).

As collaborative production work flooded his studio, from hip-hop legends like Sadat X & Grand Puba (Brand Nubian), Masta Ace and Guru (Gangstarr) to even The Jungle Brothers. Yet, while his stock as a the go-to producer rose so did his value as a key, if not crucial, remixer. At the time reworking hits for the major-label likes of De La Soul (“Stakes is Highâ€) Das EFX and MC Eiht.

Turning heads throughout the industry, Spinna’s sonics soon infiltrated numerous genres. Tapped by everyone from George Michael to Mary J. Blige to Motown Records (for his brilliant Michael Jackson homage to “We’re Almost Thereâ€). It’s here his production presence would flourish greatly, as Spinna would go on to revive and revise Soulful marvels like Donald Byrd Eddie Kendricks, Betty Carter, Roy Ayers and Al Jarreau. Always relevant to the current, Spinna has taken to new mixes for the J Dilla bred Platinum Pied Pipers and Bay Area songstress Goapele as with the well respected Les Nubian. Though it goes without saying that one of the more memorable mixes goes to his monumental version of Shawn Escoffery’s “Days Like Thisâ€. In turn, catapulting Spinna into his now stately, touted presence in the dance music scene. Which made the transition to BBE Records smooth as ever, for his landmark solo production album “Here To Thereâ€. It also spawned another record label, Spinna’s own, Wonderwax. A home for his soulful dance classics, the imprint came to fruition in 2003, and has seen memorable releases from contemporaries such as Rich Medina, Lady Alma, Blaze, The Free Radikalz and Selan.

With so much studio work, it’s a marvel Spinna travels as much as he does. The constant, globe-trotting performances he’s become equally famed for have brought the DJ as far as Iceland, Australia, and South Africa as well as countless jaunts through England, Europe and the U.S. Not to forget, his hugely successful tours of Japan, where Spinna is held in the highest regard throughout the country for his craft in music. Not always the lone crowd-controller, Spinna’s collaborated on stage alongside contemporary luminaries like Gilles Peterson, Jazzanova, Joe Claussell, Bugz In The Attic, Osunlade, Jazzy Jeff, Kenny Dope, Keb Darge, DJ Scratch (EPMD), DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist. He’s a true showman – versatile as ever.

Yet nothing compares to his celebrated Stevie Wonder inspired WONDER-Full™DJ-performances (aside friend and contributor Bobbito Garcia). Garnering overwhelming fanfare each occasion done - whether NYC, LA, San Francisco, Japan or beyond – if a WONDER-Full™ event is booked at a club you can put money on a line around the block and thousands of Stevie Wonder admirers rocking the house. And while he’s gained so much attention and accolade for his tributes to Stevie, Spinna is not incapable of doing the same for any other pivotal forefather. Visit New York City any given month and find a number of Spinna themed throw-downs in the city’s esteemed venues - each as memorable as the last.

Its true that there are other likeminded DJ/Producers in the world comparable to DJ Spinna, but for the most part, they choose a genre and master it. Ask them to flip another variety with the same intense knowledge and sleek-savvy and you’ll be hard pressed to find someone that’ll do it to Spinna’s extent.

With a brand new album “InterGalactic Soul†at its completion (set for release in May, 06), Spinna’s venturing to new reaches in his quest to musical harmony. Tapping into his perfected take on a truly cosmic boom-bap to a sexy, stylishly accessible brand of House and dance music that is unique only to him.

Remaining a musician for the ages, Spinna’s true successes happily await in the future. Won’t you come along for the ride?

dj-spinna.jpgHere_To_There-DJ_Spinna_480.jpg

Guest SoulSimple

Yeah, I've been trying to get him here since he did my confernce event. This is a great booking. Good Luck and I will definitely be in the building..... ;)

Guest Red Hook

People it's gonna be a nite to remember. This past Sun he tore it up with Karizma here in Bklyn. They had an estimated 800 peeps dancin there ass off at Little Rays event in Prospect park. For those who love House Spinna will take you to another level. Wish I could be there. Good Peoples doin it in NYC 8)

Guest djjoncowan

he actually played shine a couple of times with jazzy jeff as they are great friends... he was here twice last yr but never advertised... he just came along for the ride and opened for jeff on my birthday weekend last year and also during wmc.. very talented dj...

People it's gonna be a nite to remember. This past Sun he tore it up with Karizma here in Bklyn. They had an estimated 800 peeps dancin there ass off at Little Rays event in Prospect park. For those who love House Spinna will take you to another level. Wish I could be there. Good Peoples doin it in NYC 8)

good enough for me.... my break will have to start after spinna instead of this week :P

Guest tbooty

EVERYWHERE MAN: DJ Spinna may be spread thin, but his anchor is Brooklyn.

IN RECENT YEARS, Brooklyn's Williamsburg neighborhood has become a Manhattan-like center of a hot music scene. But ask soft-spoken lifelong Brooklyn resident DJ Spinna -- who lives a handful of neighborhoods southeast in Bedford Stuyvesant -- and he'll say that, in some respects, ain't nothin' changed but the rent. While a loft that once rented for $600 may now go for $2,600, and soy milk is sold at your corner bodega, there's always been music 'round where Spinna's lived.

Spinna was introduced to DJing through the Jamaican sound system-inspired block parties around the boroughs. Soon he was fanatically tuning in weekly to the World Famous Supreme Team to hear cutting live on radio. By his teen years, he had belt-driven turntables, and quickly earned a reputation and nickname as a local spinna.

"Records were always played in my house, and I inherited them from family," recalls Spinna. "My family's Latin American, so I grew up a music lover listening to Latin music, Caribbean music. And the disco scene was huge, out of which came hip-hop and house. I started collecting all types of records."

Spinna estimates he has 20,000 records of all genres in his basement studio. Coming up "old school," Spinna still remembers the golden era of Zulu Nation, krush-groovin' and the Paradise Garage back when hip-hop DJs and producers embraced more.

"Tony Humphries to [Little] Louie Vega to Larry Levan played disco, house and Kurtis Blow, Sugarhill Gang," says Spinna. "It wasn't until the mid-'80s when hip-hop BPMs started dropping below 100 and you had to pick a genre to spin. There was even an early-'90s period when B-boys -- and labels briefly -- got back into house. De La Soul, Black Sheep, Monie Love, Jungle Brothers all had club tracks."

Keeping that history close, Spinna has cultivated a diverse list of credits. He's thrown parties with Bobbito "DJ Cucumberslice" Garcia. He's run two labels and, for the past 10 years, has been part of the self-released Jigmastas duo. He's worked on both sides of the Atlantic, producing for Mos Def and Mary J. Blige and remixing 4 Hero and Rae & Christian, among many others. Now he's recorded Here to There for U.K. label BBE (for whom Spinna previously oversaw a beat-digger funk-rock compilation).

"The producer's role should be to have vision," says Spinna. "They should be involved in every album aspect, getting the right musicians, making a story told. You should do more than arrange a beat. An example is Quincy Jones. His tracks can have a recognizable sound, but they don't sound the same. [Here to There] is a representation of how I bring my influences into my production style, my DJing -- how my DJing represents my production style, and vice versa."

Spinna will showcase a pimarily house driven set when he headlines September 23rd at Aquabooty, for his first ever Miami visit outside of the WMC-- "My goal is more to open people up to things," he says. "I wouldn't do an hour of hip hop on a house night, but I'll throw in some funk, broken_beat, classics and high-energy material. I try to capture different emotions and see people feel good, dance, sing, throw their hands in the air."

bluesky.jpg

Guest ramon

I'm way overdue for an aquabooty night. :)

count me in joe/tomas .. :)

:o :o

why are you shocked? ive been going to aquabooty events since their residency at rain. where ironically enough i lost my umbrella.