Clubplanet Nightlife Community

ok so. my new condo doesnt have dsl

Bling

im fucked bellsouth doesnt have dsl going into the area i am moving too. no clue who i can use.. worst part is im gonna lose all my bellsouth newsgroups....... i get all my music from there. g dammit

looks like i have to get comcast.. i guess thats cable modems instead of dsl

ill be down for quite a while. $@#@

how are cable modems. i heard they suck compared to dsl....... fuck

Guest pod

Umm actually, in most cases, cable can deliver more bandwidth than DSL, due to having a more modern infrastructure than phone lines which could be 50 years old.

I wouldn't sweat it, and I'm sure Comcast has a robust newsgroup server.

Guest endymion

Yes Bling, it will work.

Cable speeds are more variable than DSL because you share the head-end connection with everybody else on your block, so you might notice slower pings on your games during 'prime time' cable modem usage. That's the big drawback to cable, burst transmission rates can be really high but you can get really inconsistent line speed and line quality.

Yes Bling, it will work.

Cable speeds are more variable than DSL because you share the head-end connection with everybody else on your block, so you might notice slower pings on your games during 'prime time' cable modem usage. That's the big drawback to cable, burst transmission rates can be really high but you can get really inconsistent line speed and line quality.

:-X caca ............

ill have to go to the local library to post on cj or stay late at work to spam.....

j/k ;D

Guest Seb

Yes Bling, it will work.

so I never heard back from you on that PM I sent you, have you heard anything about Earthlink?

Guest LeVeL

I have Comcast and its the best...I have not have had any downtime ever since..my speeds are always high and its cheaper than DSL.

Guest endymion

so I never heard back from you on that PM I sent you, have you heard anything about Earthlink?

Oh hey, sorry! Nope, I don't know anything at all about Earthlink. Was a customer long long long ago when a friend of mine's company was bought by them but that was in the modem days.

Guest pod

Bling-Blong, you should get a business-class connection like a fractional T3, and then have your broadband-deprived neighbors pay you for the privilege of access.

Guest swirlundergrounder

All of the speed and connectivity issues do depend on the infrastructure of the existing phone and cable lines. It fluctuates in every area.

I've had cable in both my places for 2 years. In NMB it's quick as shit with no bottle neck issues during prime time.

Here in Hollywood my connection gets slower at night and it go's out every other 3rd day or so the past month.

But when I first moved here I had DSL and it was always out....

If the all conditions are optimal (and I mean optimal) for both DSL and cable, cable will always be faster than DSL....

Guest pod

Up north, my parents have Cablevision and it's blindingly fast no matter what time it is. They've got the Boost service now that enables them to burst to up to 30 Mbps if conditions allow.

Miami's telecom infrastructure is podunk in comparision. We get night-sweats over 6 Mbps that most people had last year.

Guest Boucher20

im fucked bellsouth doesnt have dsl going into the area i am moving too. no clue who i can use.. worst part is im gonna lose all my bellsouth newsgroups....... i get all my music from there. g dammit

looks like i have to get comcast.. i guess thats cable modems instead of dsl

ill be down for quite a while. $@#@

how are cable modems. i heard they suck compared to dsl....... fuck

can't u just "borrow" someone's wireless signal?

Guest pod

That'll work. Jumping onto someone else's signal is spotty at best.

Also, it seems the area is pretty deprived from what Bling says, so it might be an issue even to do that.

Guest Seb

Oh hey, sorry! Nope, I don't know anything at all about Earthlink. Was a customer long long long ago when a friend of mine's company was bought by them but that was in the modem days.

I'm looking @ this Earthlink package for 8megs/sec which seems to be the fastest out there. Not sure if it actually is as fast as they claim. I wonder if 6 megs/sec vs 8 megs/sec are really going to be noticable or not?

ok how does cable work? there is only one cable jack in each room how do u connect the pc to it if the tv is connected to that jack

also i called and the idiot said that it wont work on ME which is all i have

then called back and they said it does work on ME

im confused

no clue about cable internet at all

Guest pod

Cable is OS-transparent. What you get is a cable modem, which is (bear with me) a "bridge device" that has an Ethernet port (you know what that is, right) on one side, and a cable port on the other.

What the cable modem essentially does is translate Ethernet-speak into cable-speak.

What they'll do in a cable modem install is just use a splitter, since TV and cable internet use different slices of the bandwidth coming in.

One thing you should buy is a $50 wired/wireless router.That handles all the busywork of maintaining the connection, and is largely plug and play.

Guest pod

Comcast undoubtedly has a newsgroup server. When you get squared away, just point Xnews at their server.

Just say Windows 2000 or XP if they ask your OS again.

You should really just format your drive and install XP. You can strip it down to use minimal resources. My home PC is probably older than yours and runs XP fine.

ck this info out on newsgroups

is this how it is with bellsouth not sure cuz i d/l way more than 2gb a month

that seems very little if u ask me

---------------------------------------------------

Is there a monthly quota on my newsgroup account and what happens if I exceed this limit?

The monthly limit on newsgroup downloads provided by Comcast is 2 gigabytes.

If you reach your download limit while you have a download in progress, we will allow you to finish your session, rather than interrupting your download. The surplus bytes downloaded are merely charged to the following period.

If you reach or go over the 2 gigabyte monthly limit you will be unable to download additional content until your usage is reset, which happens on the 25th of each month.

not gonna pay 200 for xp when a new version out soon. seems worthless .........

what kind of issues ?

im not even sure i have an ethernet card in my pc... i think i do........ lol

havent opened it up in like 3 yrs .......

what does that router do maintains u from getting booted off?

Guest Electric Eel

what kind of issues ?

I dont remember exactly as I got it on my laptop when ME first came out but I kept on having problems with my laptop working correctly and as soon as I switched to XP I didn't have those problems anymore. If your comp seems to run normally and you dont have issues with any software then let it be

Guest Boucher20

what kind of issues ?

im not even sure i have an ethernet card in my pc... i think i do........ lol

havent opened it up in like 3 yrs .......

what does that router do maintains u from getting booted off?

the wireless router ,if im correct, gives u the ability to roam around ur house with ur laptop, if it has a wirless card or wireless capability, or if u have a desktop in ur family room and dont want to run the cable across ur room, you just buy a wireless card for ur desktop and pick up the signal that way......

pod, please correct me if im wrong