Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Congratulations Kelly!!! 8X World Surfing Champ!!!!!

Guest michael^heaven

Guest michael^heaven

surfing sucks as a competitive sport

How so?? (I'm gonna humor you on this one & give you a chance to respond.)

but that guy is clearly padding his pants...

More on point...one of the most competively driven athletes of modern times.

wasn't he on 90210?

Baywatch

Guest michael^heaven

surfing sucks as a competitive sport

How so?? (I'm gonna humor you on this one & give you a chance to respond.)

Didn't think you had an answer. ::)

Guest michael^heaven

any sport where there is judging is open to huge amounts of human flaw. In fact some and most judged sports are fixed. Thus why as a competitive sport surfing sucks..

Let's see, referees judge plays during football, basketball, hockey & soccer. Umpires judge baseball. Line judges for tennis. So, by your definition then, these sports suck competitively? I think not. Almost all professional sports are subject to human interpretation.

Guest JMT

the difference is, surfing is subject to virtually complete human interpretation. there is direct, physical, head-to-head competition in those sports you mention.

a scoring system exclusively based on judging is always open to bias. figure skating is a perfect example.

Guest michael^heaven

the difference is, surfing is subject to virtually complete human interpretation. there is direct, physical, head-to-head competition in those sports you mention.

a scoring system exclusively based on judging is always open to bias. figure skating is a perfect example.

& there is no head-to-head competition in surfing contests? Please!! The ASP has very strict judging guidelines based upon the best two of a possible ten waves. The highest & lowest scores are eliminated. Perry Hatchett has done an amazing job of keeping the CT judging on point for many years now. I would agree with you if we were talking about the old days when Graham Cassidy was running things. Most maneuvers to the beach, small wave comp. bullsh#t!! As you may recall, the former judging criteria was eliminated in 1992 in wake of the 'new school' of surfing emerging upon the ASP tour with the likes of Kelly, Rob, Shane, Ross, Benji, etc.

As far as the sports I mentioned, how about we eliminate all officiating from these events & see what transpires.gulolyo0.gif