Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Who does the *best* Mastering Services in South Florida?

Guest Adam Singer

Guest Adam Singer

I'm probably 2/3rds of the way done with my new album

I want to have the whole thing mastered very, very well - and while I've been doing my own mastering in the past I've spent so much time producing this I want to invest in some serious, professional mastering before I have CDs done up (going to sell through my website and through amazon)

It's all ambient/jazzy/melodic stuff...the mixdowns are already done, what I need is for someone to take the final renders and give them all that extra punch...

I also want to be able to stay in studio and watch it all done so I can learn from the process and do it better myself in the future - this might be asking alot but I am a good listener/observer...I also will want to add my input because will want the tracks retaining my vision, just with that extra punch...

Haven't worked with a studio engineer on a whole album so this is a new process for me...anyone want to steer me in the right direction? Probably need to start thinking about this soon so I can setup some dates to coincide with the completion of the production

Guest Adam Singer

Isn't Terry going to school for this...he can probably be some help to you..

yes he is, along with some of my other friends - but i really was looking for someone who's got like 10 years+ experience in it...

who's the gerry king of south florida?

i think medway is down here now, maybe ill try to speak with him...

i'd love to use someone like Terry or Jamu, but with them I would def want some sample work done first so I can see what the results are (i dont think this is unfair to ask - i know they could do it too, but i still need sample work ;))

Guest swirlundergrounder

I'm out of school now but my advice to Adam would be to hire Thomas Penton to do some final EQing on your tracks as final preperation to be mastered. Oh and he works on PC.

Anyways you will have to pay him. But the less work a mastering facility has to do the cheaper it is going to be for you.

If you want someone with like 10 years who's local the check out Micheal Fuller at http://www.fullersound.com/ in Miami

You will end up paying an arm and leg for the mastering work.

From what I hear most mastering engineers at this level don't want artists in the studio with them putting in their input or what ever. Mastering is a very delicate process and an art on its own.

Besides when you are paying someone $100 an hour you don't want to be in there wasting their time asking questions and burning the clock on your bill.

If you want to learn go intern at a mastering facility for a couple of months. Clean their toilets and when you are off ask to sit behind them in the studio, keep your mouth shut, bring a note pad and take notes as they work. Top shelf mastering engineers want to hear what they are working on.

I hear from the grape vine that Greg Styrke does some mastering also.

When you do shop for a mastering facility, keep in mind what gear are they going to master your stuff on. email me the list and I'll tell you if it's worth the price you are going to pay.

Wait though Adam, wasn't it you the other month on another thread that was telling someone to not go to a mastering facility and for them to learn how to do it themselves?

It was you. we agrueed about it for 2 or 3 pages...lol

What made you change your mind?

Besides you being an EDM producer, you may not need very much mastering of your work unless you recorded live instruments and added them to your songs.

Usually it's live instruments and vocals that have been recorded is what needs mastering the most.

Sampled sounds, loops etc have pretty much already been mastered.

You might just need some final compression to even out everything a little bit. Some shelving EQs in specific problem frequencies and a little bit of overall gain around a few dB and making sure the levels of your songs from track to track are even and you should be good to go with EDM mastering....

Guest Adam Singer

I'm out of school now but my advice to Adam would be to hire Thomas Penton to do some final EQing on your tracks as final preperation to be mastered. Oh and he works on PC.

Anyways you will have to pay him. But the less work a mastering facility has to do the cheaper it is going to be for you.

If you want someone with like 10 years who's local the check out Micheal Fuller at http://www.fullersound.com/ in Miami

From what I hear most mastering engineers at this level don't want artists in the studio with them putting in their input or what ever. Mastering is a very delicate process and an art on its own.

Besides when you are paying someone $100 an hour you don't want to be in there wasting their time asking questions and burning the clock on your bill.

If you want to learn go intern at a mastering facility for a couple of months. Clean their toilets and when you are off ask to sit behind them in the studio, keep your mouth shut, bring a note pad and take notes as they work. Top shelf mastering engineers want to hear what they are working on.

When you do shop for a mastering facility, keep in mind what gear are they going to master your stuff on. email me the list and I'll tell you if it's worth the price you are going to pay.

Wait though Adam, wasn't it you the other month on another thread that was telling someone to not go to a mastering facility and for them to learn how to do it themselves?

Besides you being an EDM producer, you may not need very much mastering of your work unless you recorded live instruments and added them to your songs.

Usually it's live instruments and vocals that have been recorded is what needs mastering the most.

You might just need some final compression to even out everything a little bit. Some shelving EQs in specific problem frequencies and a little bit of overall gain around a few dB and making sure the levels of your songs from track to track are even and you should be good to go with EDM mastering....

thanks for the advice terry - and what made me change my mind was thinking how many hours i spent writing everything and how i probably dont have much perspective on it by now

that second set of ears could be clutch - especially since im not sure now how close my last album is to being perfect...i can get close, but im curious how much better the final product could be - and if i hear it done by a pro that could help perfect the craft in the future

Guest swirlundergrounder

thanks for the advice terry - and what made me change my mind was thinking how many hours i spent writing everything and how i probably dont have much perspective on it by now

that second set of ears could be clutch - especially since im not sure now how close my last album is to being perfect...i can get close, but im curious how much better the final product could be - and if i hear it done by a pro that could help perfect the craft in the future

When you do take it to get it mastered or final EQ'ed, collect a couple of pieces of music that you think sound 'Audibly Perfect' to you and how you think you would like your music/mastering to sound like.

Submit your final work along with this collection of music and tell the mastering engineer that you want your music to sound like these tracks. That gives the mastering engineer a guide to go about how to approach mastering your music.

And keep in mind that every mastering engineer is going to have their own 'mastered sound'. So you best get some examples of the work that they mastered along the same lines (genre) of your music to see if you like what they did to it.

It's always good to have another pair of ears listen to your work in this fashion. And the mastering engineer will get your music to sound good in any sound system..

Guest Adam Singer

And the mastering engineer will get your music to sound good in any sound system..

this is overall what is desired :D