Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bling's Review of Timmy Regisford (Shelter/Aquabooty) @ Pawn Shop (WITH PICS!)

Bling

First off, let me point out I have never seen Timmy Regisford live or ever heard a mix of his ever so i am going into this review "cold turkey" so to speak. Overall I must say i was disappointed for the most part. He had his moments though.. (this section for those that dont read my whole review)

Now the review.

Got there very early cuz i didnt want to wait at the door for years with the impending Bang Crowd.

DHM on the decks..... As always, Omar, Stephan and Edwin extremely cool with me. (get yet another cd )!! Gracias...

DHM played well as usual. It was interesting to see them play a larger venue again. Ive only heard them play in a large venue twice before at Gryphon. Both times they started off jazzy and deep and progressed to a more "space sound" if you could believe it.

Today they played harder near the end but not the "typical space sound by any means" . They played a great set chock full of jazzy tunes and lots of tribal.

My set of the nite goes to DHM.

Around 1:15 am Timmy Regisford comes on the decks.

First off....... Timmy def lives at the gym the man is huge .... if he wasnt such a well known DJ he could easily have a second career as a bouncer or personal trainer.

Overall, he played tracks that "get the crowd going" (meaning he played tracks we all have heard a lot)

His mixing at times was so so but what impressed me the most was his looping abilities he teased certain tracks but then just looped their "well known beat" and then threw in acapellas of other tracks over it.... very niceeeeeeeee

ARound 3 am though he really started to get into his groove ( I left around 3:30 he def started to play much better around this point)

He even played a disco type track even!!!.

Overall his set was very diverse. It seemed to go from soulful... to harder stuff..... back to soulful (wish there was more soulful house though).

Track of the nite.... though ive heard it tons always gets me going "Church Lady" (the one that goes Glory Hallelujah.. let them show you the way) that one def got me out into the middle of the floor with my hands in the air!!!

Overall i was disappointed in this set. Got to hear this guy again though to make an honest opinion if i like Timmy's sound.....

On another note..... and this one goes out to the Pawn Shop crew (not aquabooty of course) the sound system needs to be tweaked PLEASEEEEE!! the highs in there killed my ears. if you stand right under that disco ball in the center of the floor your ears bleed.

Place was slammed disgusting.. Felt like i was at Space in a way getting stepped on lol..... Thankfully by 245-3 am some room cleared up to dance.

Another great booking by Aquabooty. Though it wasnt one of my sets of the year. Very glad i finally got to see Timmy Regisford

2 weeks till the AB 6 Year Anniversary with (IMHO the best booking by anyone this yr outside WMC with Kerri Chandler)

Good to see Phil, Kelly Kel, Dennis Baker, Vaughan, B-Side, Swank....and of course Joe and Tomas.... etc.........

;D

Guest psboyuk

Overall I had a good time on Sat night @ Pawn Shop. It was only my second time hearing Timmy - the first being @ Shelter about 2 years ago and that time I went early and left early (4am - just when things were getting started) 'cause I was with people who didn't want to be out late, so I kinda feel that this past Sat night was really my first time 'hearing' him spin. I like the fact that he messed with some of the 'popular' and obvious tracks, looping them and then playing something else with them. His mixing is not the best (a few big wrecks :o but hey - it's all the way live!!). He did get more soulful for the last hour that I was there - 3 to 4am. Sometimes I feel DJs (like Louie did a couple of weeks back) do this to weed out the heads from the typical miami crowd.

The miami crowd tends to be a 'see and be seen' crowd unfortunately and you could probably play anything and they will go nuts. I've played at several venues down here and still can't figure them out. I'm still leary of the crowd at Pawn Shop - I did see a some heads in the house and they were having a good time and screaming when he dropped Patrice Rushen 'Haven't you heard'. My track of the night was 'Church Lady' followed by my all time favourite 'I'll Be Your Friend' - the memories I have of that song!! :luvu:

Like I said, I went to have a good time with friends and I did just that!! I really didn't hear anything that blew me away that night, but the crew I was with had a good time, although Bling is right - the system @ Pawn Shop needs an overhaul - the highs were killing a lot of people around 3am! I left around 4am and my ears are still ringing. Keep forgetting to bring earplugs!!

:D

Great to see Alarick, Bling, Phil, KellyKel, Amanda, Sela V, Andre Soul, Sheldon & Rafiah, Kevin Donovan, Donnamarie, DJ Chris, John Julius Knight, B-Side.

Thanks 2 Aquabooty for a great party - and 2 Alan @ the door for showing my crew the luv!!!

~Dennis

www.soulxpres.com

Guest Sela V

What had happened was that the music was so banging that DJ Chris put down his walking stick and danced his ass off as we all stood by in amazement! I'm calling The 700 Club today to file an official report!

Guest psboyuk

What had happened was that the music was so banging that DJ Chris put down his walking stick and danced his ass off as we all stood by in amazement! I'm calling The 700 Club today to file an official report!

I saw dat!! With my own eyes!!! It was a miracle, I tell ya!

:o

~Dennis

Guest SoulSimple

I am sooo glad Miami got a taste of what I've lived for many years...Now the only we need to do is cultivate More House Headz! Timmy is a build up DJ...He plays for 8 to 10 hrs straight back home at Shelter...so it takes him a minute to get in a grrove..always have. He also feeds of the crowd big time. NY'orkers party hard and are very loud about it. He takes his time and builds the party slowly. Remember he's a dancers DJ, thats what he's used too. There where a few gliches as he tried to blend songs breaks with accapellas..but that was an education to all the DJ's down here that just play song after song and never try to be creative with music.... :o

Overall I dance like no one was watching...even though I kept being interrupted by pple bumping into me...But it's cool...It was very worth the $15 I supported and PAID...

Fridays @ Rain

Resident Andre Soul

Guest sobesoul

I am sooo glad Miami got a taste of what I've lived for many years...Now the only we need to do is cultivate More House Headz! Timmy is a build up DJ...He plays for 8 to 10 hrs straight back home at Shelter...so it takes him a minute to get in a grrove..always have. He also feeds of the crowd big time. NY'orkers party hard and are very loud about it. He takes his time and builds the party slowly. Remember he's a dancers DJ, thats what he's used too. There where a few gliches as he tried to blend songs breaks with accapellas..but that was an education to all the DJ's down here that just play song after song and never try to be creative with music.... :o

Overall I dance like no one was watching...even though I kept being interrupted by pple bumping into me...But it's cool...It was very worth the $15 I supported and PAID...

Fridays @ Rain

Resident Andre Soul

I agree 'SOUL'. Although, I thought Timmy could of been himself. Timmy should of started over from scratch instead of following DHM's momentum. Anyway, I was hoping Timmy would give the audience a taste of the SHELTER. To my surprise I was wrong. So sad. I know this, that if my brother Tony Humphries was in the house he would start from scratch and the hell with DHM momentum(PERIOD).

Guest swank

I saw dat!! With my own eyes!!! It was a miracle, I tell ya!

:o

~Dennis

He handed me the cane! :o I almost fainted since I'd never seen him EVER without the cane...I didn't know what to expect but....the man can dance.