Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is a weekly minimal night viable in Miami?

Guest Juniper

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Devilicious

well because as if trance isnt boring and slow enough, minimal comes along as slows it down even more, soon they will be offering a reduced admission for 65 and older. i wanna go nuts when i go out to shake my azzz. i left nappy time when i moved from kindergarten to 1st grade.

trance and minimal are slow? lol... maybe if you listen to happy hardcore

will a miami crowd respond well to this sound? is it worth even trying?

i think one way for this to be feasible is fuse minimal sounds with a lounge type atmosphere. the general will respond to minimal if if its presented in a way that doesn't make them feel their obliged to dance to it. when it goes down in a club enviroment i find people aren't sure how to react (generally). ina lounge minimal at the correct volume can be the perfect sountrack to keeping everyone locked in a groove even while their sitting/socializing. its simply not viable to expect the general public to dance to it all night in a club enviroment though.

I really like this idea. I could vibe with that setup at somewhere like Shine, close the VIP and add more seating, keep the lighting calmer... on a smaller scale I could see it working at the Chesterfield. It definitely calls for a more mature crowd.

Doing anything weekly is extremely difficult. Biweekly or monthly is better... when a party happens less frequently it makes it more special. A lot of people don't go out every weekend, either.

Guest ramon

only by getting big jocks in town, and promoting the hell out of it,

a nice venue would be cool; Ink, Mynt or something that resembles Cielo[nyc] ;)

I don't know about the big jocks , but having a proper venue would help. We have absolutely nothing like Cielo here though. It would be nice and I'm sure more than just the techno scene would benefit from it.

Minimal is just a buzz word what we really need is a consistent 'TECHNO' night w/ the likes of Compression in LA , Robots in NY , Paxahau in Detroit.

Guest Seb

Minimal-specific nights would send people for the exits. However' date=' a minimal track in the right spots of a set can send people into a frenzy. "Cat in the Bag" blew the fuck up for me last Friday in a little hick-town called Stuart....of course, I had padded the song 15 min on each side with recognizable stuff. It's not what you play, but how you play it.

[/quote']

them hicks like their Fanciulli 8)

Guest pod

Flat out no. Genre-specific music nights are a losing proposition in this town. Nevermind each time I see some shit like this marketed I feel like the promoters are insulting my intelligence. "Serious Music", etc...

Too many of the music-oriented nights in town make a big mistake of intentionally or unintentionally insulting their potential audience.

Everyone who will show up to this event will be comped, the venue will get pissed, and the night will be shut down in less than a month.

I don't care if it's minimal, maximal, or whatever. Basing a night on exclusionary principles isn't gonna fly.

You could do it at some rattle trap on the 600 block or some chintzy hotel lobby, but why bother then? Bring the production, bring your A-game, or stay home. Rattle-trap nights just drag everything down.

Guest Seb

Flat out no. Genre-specific music nights are a losing proposition in this town. Nevermind each time I see some shit like this marketed I feel like the promoters are insulting my intelligence. "Serious Music", etc...

this is true and it is definately not needed. Its good to be pationate about your genre but there is no need to bash anothers

Guest DJ Nova

Too many of the music-oriented nights in town make a big mistake of intentionally or unintentionally insulting their potential audience.

Everyone who will show up to this event will be comped, the venue will get pissed, and the night will be shut down in less than a month.

I don't care if it's minimal, maximal, or whatever. Basing a night on exclusionary principles isn't gonna fly.

You could do it at some rattle trap on the 600 block or some chintzy hotel lobby, but why bother then? Bring the production, bring your A-game, or stay home. Rattle-trap nights just drag everything down.

It's already like that POD, the only genres the play at SPACE, is

whatever you wanna call it (cough...commercial)

every venue that plays dance music now, ONLY STICKS to one genre for most of the NIGHT . And it's been like that for YEARS !

If it wasn't like that you would hear much more variety, but you know just as well as I do that all the "dance clubs" play the SAME SONGS......cause guess what it the same DJs that play everywhere in this town.

Guest pod

I remember I told these guys once who did the same thing. I forget what the night itself was, but they said "Intelligent music for intelligent people..."

What, what I listen to now is stupid? I'm stupid? Gee, way to make me feel welcome.

That's actually been my personal issue with a lot (not all!) of music-oriented events around here. I feel like a second-class citizen because I can't hold up my end of the conversation about DJs and music.

Even worse is when promotions go after other events. Worst mistake you could ever make. Start up your own night if you want, but declaring war out of the gate isn't a way to make friends.

Guest DJ Nova

I remember I told these guys once who did the same thing. I forget what the night itself was, but they said "Intelligent music for intelligent people..."

What, what I listen to now is stupid? I'm stupid? Gee, way to make me feel welcome.

That's actually been my personal issue with a lot (not all!) of music-oriented events around here. I feel like a second-class citizen because I can't hold up my end of the conversation about DJs and music.

Even worse is when promotions go after other events. Worst mistake you could ever make. Start up your own night if you want, but declaring war out of the gate isn't a way to make friends.

how about looking at it from this point of view >>

They're just saying they have intelligent music.....so what ?

they're not saying stay away dumb people......

what about when people say they have sexy music ? you don't get offended ?

I think you profit from people's lack of knowledge ..in fact I wouldn't be surprised if "Cooljunkie" had something to do with

Miami's scene (speaking of cooljunkie as a business not forums or all the listings etc..)

why is it that cooljunkie only interviews certain djs.....?

certainly NONE of the artists or djs I've brought down and they are JUST if not more important than the other djs interviewed on here......

Is it because of the people who contribute with money.....?

Maybe, and there's nothing wrong with that....unless you're portraying to your conusomer's that there is NOTHING ELSE except what you have to offer .....even though you know there's more........and if you don't know there's more out there .....than shame on you for opening up a restaurant and not knowing how to cook!

You all just need to take a step back, and sort things out.

Please, if you want to know more hit me up on the email....

but trust me I know.......how do I know.......because I know all forms of dance music......not just tiesto or kerri chandler, or jeff mills.......I know about it all.......

Guest coach

well because as if trance isnt boring and slow enough, minimal comes along as slows it down even more, soon they will be offering a reduced admission for 65 and older. i wanna go nuts when i go out to shake my azzz. i left nappy time when i moved from kindergarten to 1st grade.

trance and minimal are slow? lol... maybe if you listen to happy hardcore

*ahem*

will a miami crowd respond well to this sound? is it worth even trying?

I am pretty sure I have heard quite a lot of what could be termed "minimal", if I understand the genre description. Link me some demos and I can confirm that. However, none of them were *promoted* as minimal events.

i think one way for this to be feasible is fuse minimal sounds with a lounge type atmosphere. the general will respond to minimal if if its presented in a way that doesn't make them feel their obliged to dance to it. when it goes down in a club enviroment i find people aren't sure how to react (generally). ina lounge minimal at the correct volume can be the perfect sountrack to keeping everyone locked in a groove even while their sitting/socializing. its simply not viable to expect the general public to dance to it all night in a club enviroment though.

I think this is the way to go. And, again, as POD pointed out, do not promote as a "minimal night", just promote it as the party. Also, remember that people like lots of different kinds of music, but it is the PARTY that makes the event popular. Get a great DJ, but surround him with a great atmosphere.

Guest pod

Our editorial content isn't motivated by money. Our last few DJ interviews were selected by the people doing the interviewing. We don't do business with agencies or record labels, so that has nothing to do with it. If you want "your" DJs interviewed, do what every other agency does and send us press releases. Bullitt, Chaotica, TCA artists get time on here because the agencies do what they're paid to do and keep us informed about what their clients are up to. I simply don't have the manpower at the moment to keep track of every sub-sub-genre of music.

Of course they're not say "stay away dumb people", but they're implying it. A lot of music-events in town, either purposely or not, have a way of being even more exclusionary than the VIP-oriented events that they're supposedly an alternative to.

If someone wants to throw an event, that's fine by me, but by all accounts, a music event should inclusive, not exclusive. There's simply not enough of you music people to have it any other way.

Guest DJ Nova

Our editorial content isn't motivated by money. Our last few DJ interviews were selected by the people doing the interviewing. We don't do business with agencies or record labels, so that has nothing to do with it. If you want "your" DJs interviewed, do what every other agency does and send us press releases. Bullitt, Chaotica, TCA artists get time on here because the agencies do what they're paid to do and keep us informed about what their clients are up to. I simply don't have the manpower at the moment to keep track of every sub-sub-genre of music.

Of course they're not say "stay away dumb people", but they're implying it. A lot of music-events in town, either purposely or not, have a way of being even more exclusionary than the VIP-oriented events that they're supposedly an alternative to.

If someone wants to throw an event, that's fine by me, but by all accounts, a music event should inclusive, not exclusive. There's simply not enough of you music people to have it any other way.

every major event down here is exclusive, shit I can't get in, because I'm not wearing nice shoes, or don't know the door guy or maybe I'm not interested in hearing the dj that is playing.

so who's events are exclusive, I feel totally excluded......so much so I've had to put on my own parties.....I'm NOT A PROMOTER ...I am a producer/dj .

The acts that I bring down here are Not specific to one genre, you will see this as I bring down more people, so wehere is the EXCLUSIVITY?

Just about every party down here is the same shit, with the exception of ,sobebeats & aquabooty lately.......they did get into a rut of miguel migs and dixon for awhile......but it's nice to see they're taking some chances and booking new talent, but seriously bro

cmon........don't try to tell me, I know exactly what's goin on with this city and it is all about money, and what people think they know. I guarantee you if I had the money these people have, the scene here would be much more like Ibiza.....this place is a far cry from that. I'm not just some kid, I have just as much music knowledge as any dj down here

Guest DJ Nova

I hope we can agree that ONE of the elements of being a good dj is knowing the music, ....right ? I would hope that most people on here would agree that a dj that knows more music, can be better than a dj that doesn't .....

Guest rhythmburn

I hope we can agree that ONE of the elements of being a good dj is knowing the music, ....right ? I would hope that most people on here would agree that a dj that knows more music, can be better than a dj that doesn't .....

the vast majority of peeps down here just don't give a shit man

unfortunate, but true...and many times when somebody does decide to do something a bit different, people that should come out and support, don't...

Guest pod

Music knowledge alone won't get you booked. You gotta be able to market yourself or pay someone to do it for you. I've seen many a talented DJ suffer from piss-poor promotion. They're consigned to their bedrooms or rattle-trap holes in the wall.

Miami about money? Oh totally. Not gonna dispute you there.

I've said it once, and I've said it a million times, Miami is not a music town. You cannot do a promotion using music as the reason to go. Book whichever DJ you want, but don't let that be the cornerstone of your promotion. Only exception is the usual suspects, PvD, Roger, Erick, Tijs, etc. But for DJ Box-of-Rocks dropping minimal? Hell no. Book DJ Box-of-Rocks, but don't hinge your party on him.

Clubs are businesses. I don't know of any successful venue in town that is run "for the good of the scene". Even Blue, the music-heads venue of choice these days, is a for-profit entity. The overhead is very low, so it is easy to keep open. If it becomes unprofitable after a fashion, it will change or close. The few times someone has tried to do a "for the good of the scene" venue here in Miami, it has bombed out within a season.

Guest DJ Nova

the vast majority of peeps down here just don't give a shit man

unfortunate, but true...and many times when somebody does decide to do something a bit different, people that should come out and support, don't...

that's what I'm saying, do you think people would STOP going out if the clubs just did a 360 and started booking other talent ?

Hell no! people just go because of the name of the club, and will continue to do so.

The problem is , the clubs don't know much about music

or what's cutting edge at least. We get shit so behind here it's not even funny .

Pacha has colabs coming up (speedy j & chris liebing)

Space (Ibiza) just had Jeff Mills

and our clus book the same djs:

pvd, tiesto, roger s, danny t. , abel , calderone, miguel migs,

oakenfold, sandra collins, little louie vega, deep dish, sander,

k, masiello, oscar g , ralph, cedric, ivano,

how many times ? make a difference people, just check out something different (but not that different where you can't dance to it ; )

don't worry those djs will be back, they always are aren't they!?

Guest pod

See, here's the thing. You guys here aren't a real representation of the body of people going out.

Face it, a lot of you guys are industry, or at the least, know someone and get comped at the door of most venues in town either through us, or through someone you know. You can walk into any party to check out DJ Box-of-Rocks because it doesn't cost you a cent to do so.

Now see it from the rest of the population's perspective. Your average clubgoer going out for an evening is paying $20 - $30 at the door. Sometimes even more. The true gentlemen are also paying for their ladies as well. So you figure before you walk into the club, you've spent $20, and then like another $10-$20 to park.

They want consistency for their money. They're gonna go with what they know since they are paying for it. The music will be what they expect, as well as the environment.

Guest coach

Miami about money?

And I am SO sick of people whining about this. Tell me ONE city wherein you do not need money to live and operate a business!!!

Guest knebula

How about a weekly bachata night????

Maybe we can bring Trentemoller to do a couple of Reggaeton remixes and call that another night.......

I would be great for the different genres to take off but unfortunately people are just not "musically educated" as you are (DJ Nova) so until you get that type of Musical culture established down here in Miami, I would suggest you continue doing some research for the appropiate time.

By the way, if you like Minimal that much here, I made you a tshirt....

Click!

Guest Adam Singer

every major event down here is exclusive, shit I can't get in, because I'm not wearing nice shoes, or don't know the door guy or maybe I'm not interested in hearing the dj that is playing.

so who's events are exclusive, I feel totally excluded......so much so I've had to put on my own parties.....I'm NOT A PROMOTER ...I am a producer/dj .

The acts that I bring down here are Not specific to one genre, you will see this as I bring down more people, so wehere is the EXCLUSIVITY?

Just about every party down here is the same shit, with the exception of ,sobebeats & aquabooty lately.......they did get into a rut of miguel migs and dixon for awhile......but it's nice to see they're taking some chances and booking new talent, but seriously bro

cmon........don't try to tell me, I know exactly what's goin on with this city and it is all about money, and what people think they know. I guarantee you if I had the money these people have, the scene here would be much more like Ibiza.....this place is a far cry from that. I'm not just some kid, I have just as much music knowledge as any dj down here

if you are an artist or a promoter and want your show/event or artist featured, do your homework, lookat who is writing what, and send them information

the writers will write about you if you present yourself professional and couteous to them (or at least i always will)

but be sure to pitch the right person -- do your homework and actually read what every writer or what style each writer writes about

the press is usually willing to cover most newsworthy items!