Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is a weekly minimal night viable in Miami?

Guest Juniper

Guest ANARCHYP

That's where a lot of people are blinded too.

A lot of the people trying to do parties nowadays are doing it "on the side", from their day jobs doing real estate or what-have-you. They're not living on the funds from the party, so it is easy for them to do whatever, and not worry about the ins and outs of really promoting, DJing, or party planning. Ask anyone who promotes, DJs or owns a club as their only source of income. In the end, there's compromises being made.

for sure

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Philip

Danny certainly is where he is because of marketing. Be Yourself, etc, that's all marketing! Even the viral word of mouth stuff counts as marketing. He's one of the most talented DJ/Producers on the planet, but if he or someone didn't realize that and run with it marketing-wise, he'd be balancing the books at Initech and DJing at house parties.

Pod what im saying is Danny is where he is today because of his talent AND marketing. the post i was responding to made it sound like marketing alone was what brought him to the position he is in today. obviously if you trainwreck and write horrid tracks marketing is only gonna get you so far.

Guest DJ Nova

That's where a lot of people are blinded too.

A lot of the people trying to do parties nowadays are doing it "on the side", from their day jobs doing real estate or what-have-you. They're not living on the funds from the party, so it is easy for them to do whatever, and not worry about the ins and outs of really promoting, DJing, or party planning. Ask anyone who promotes, DJs or owns a club as their only source of income. In the end, there's compromises being made.

Not here, I put up my rent money for this Rolando party, because if you come to just ONE of our parties, you'll keep comin back .

If you're REALLY into music, and even if you're NOT ...the environment doesn't LIE ....it's seriously the difference between a fun night and an that amazing night you still talk about years later!

Guest pod

That is true as well. People slight on PvD and Tiësto all the time for only being marketing, but that's not true. From a pure objective point of view, both of those guys can mix and keep their crowds going. That takes talent, whether you spin trance, house, or disco. Talent only goes so far though. Then the marketing machine kicks in.

Guest DJ Nova

That is true as well. People slight on PvD and Tiësto all the time for only being marketing, but that's not true. From a pure objective point of view, both of those guys can mix and keep their crowds going. That takes talent, whether you spin trance, house, or disco. Talent only goes so far though. Then the marketing machine kicks in.

Talent on what level ? to an experience listener Tiesto is just not that good. So , let's just pretend everyone will be an experienced listener one day.......don't you think they'll look back and be like .....what was i thinking ? of course not all

but there will be . It's like we're living in the seventies and everybody here is like the beatles , the beatles,

and I'm Saying....you all need to check out Led Zeppelin!!!

Don't alienate us so much, the music that we are talking anout is being played all OVER the world right now !

cmon Loco Dice, Richie , Luciano all these guys are super hot!

its not just two tones, and bleeps.....let's NOT be Ignorant

Guest Philip

not to jump on your case to much, but...

needing money and Hoarding it all in is not the same thing; people here are being taken to the cleaners ......these crazy expensive cover charges, and for what ? To see an OVERPAYED dj ?

no thanks !

ok but your opinion is in a serious minority as compared with thousands of Miami clubbers every weekend.

that's because they don't know any better, it's like cuba. If you ask cubans in cuba, they'll tell you they love it (sure alot have left) but there is still quite a large population there I assure you.

They will tell you they love it, they don't go without food, education, medicare etc...but we obviously know here that it sucks for them there and they have very little compared to us here in the states. The people here have not been exposed because people in control do not know enough about music and miami.

every one needs money to live, but what this town does with money is much more than that my friend. They are making themselves rich at every club goers expense , AND they treat you like shit in the process..... Who wants to go out and experience this ? and why ?

thousands of Miami clubbers? because they like it and feel its worth it?

see above (it's all they've ever known) since electronic music really blew up in the late 90's here

You can come see world reknowned talent for $10 on friday night, INSTEAD most people will go see danny tenaglia (who is also world reknowned) the difference is DANNY plays here a several times a year..... and this is Rolando's 1st Ever Appearance outside of the wmc in like 10 years . Plus you won't be waiting outside for an eternity and Drink are cheaper.......

so tell me what is wrong with this picture ?

nothing...? maybe i wanna see Tenaglia ina world-class club where i know what to expect and im guaranteed a good time.

and that is all you will get a "good time", what I am proposing is an amazing night, much more than just a good time guaranteed!

It's because, marketing (yes I know) whoever sells it the hardest wins.......and you have to have money to do that.....

marketing? marketing only goes so far. people have actually heard or heard of Tenaglia

well actually at some point, no one had heard of danny tenaglia or anybody for that matter.........you didn't know who sander klienberg was 15 years ago !

now your acccusing your audience of not being educated muscially. i tell you what, go talk to one of those kids at Space that are grinning from ear-to-ear and tell them they are being ripped off and the club owners just aren't "exposing them" to the cutting edge music they should be listening to. i hate to break it to you - but thats a tough sell.

ok so everyone is an unknown at some point... my point is everyone has heard of Tenaglia and they know what to expect from him and Twilo.

trust me - im all about supporting new events including Porongraph. im not trying to jump your case but your not being realistic with your expectations. i would love to see Miami stay current with dance music trends. i realize that we are way behind the times but there is nothing wrong with that. its not Communism, its clubbing in Miami.

Guest ANARCHYP

now your acccusing your audience of not being educated muscially. i tell you what, go talk to one of those kids at Space that are grinning from ear-to-ear and tell them they are being ripped off and the club owners just aren't "exposing them" to the cutting edge music they should be listening to. i hate to break it to you - but thats a tough sell.

i am sure pills have something to do with that...

Guest pod

Not everyone "grows" into an experienced listener. You've seemingly been around the block a few times, but you're making the assumption that people in Miami want to go out for the music.

That's simply not true. The most important thing in going out is the party. Not the DJ, not the music, but the overall party, of which the DJ is an element of. Whether I'm at Space, Mansion, Ink, even Blue, people are there because they heard or know it is a good party. A small percentage are there because DJ so and so is on the decks.

Simply put, people aren't going out for the music. Should they? That's not for me or you to decide. Freedom of choice and all. With something as subjective as a club night is involved, who are you (or me) to tell people what is right or wrong? As long as people are going out and having fun, it shouldn't matter if they're music whores, party heads, or VIP scenesters.

Let me pose this, say everyone was as musically astute as you? What then? I have a sneaking suspicion that you're harboring some resentment over something and just haven't resolved it yet.

Guest Philip

i am sure pills have something to do with that...

whats your point? thats part of the equation. part of the party. most people aren't out just for the music in this town...

Guest ANARCHYP

we established that...people in general out here dont go anywhere because of music..once you pop a pill...it dont matter if my grandma will play...the party is still fun...just as long as you have the right crowd to do it at..some at space, some at home ...whatever

Guest Philip

we established that...people in general out here dont go anywhere because of music..once you pop a pill...it dont matter if my grandma will play...the party is still fun...just as long as you have the right crowd to do it at..some at space, some at home ...whatever

well thats all part of what makes up the Miami club scene

Guest ramon

I hope we can agree that ONE of the elements of being a good dj is knowing the music, ....right ? I would hope that most people on here would agree that a dj that knows more music, can be better than a dj that doesn't .....

the vast majority of peeps down here just don't give a shit man

unfortunate, but true...and many times when somebody does decide to do something a bit different, people that should come out and support, don't...

that's what I'm saying, do you think people would STOP going out if the clubs just did a 360 and started booking other talent ?

Hell no! people just go because of the name of the club, and will continue to do so.

The problem is , the clubs don't know much about music

or what's cutting edge at least. We get shit so behind here it's not even funny .

Pacha has colabs coming up (speedy j & chris liebing)

Space (Ibiza) just had Jeff Mills

and our clus book the same djs:

pvd, tiesto, roger s, danny t. , abel , calderone, miguel migs,

oakenfold, sandra collins, little louie vega, deep dish, sander,

k, masiello, oscar g , ralph, cedric, ivano,

how many times ? make a difference people, just check out something different (but not that different where you can't dance to it ; )

don't worry those djs will be back, they always are aren't they!?

let's get our facts straight here.

Jeff Mills was just at Pacha NY

Collabs was there on Friday

New York is a different animal there are enough people up there to sustain a scene outside of the norm. As Miami grows I think our options will as well.

Pacha also had Danny Howells who no longer plays in Miami? (what does that mean?)

Tenaglia plays here on a semi-regular basis but this this is the first time he plays outside of WMC in his marathon style in atleast a few years.

Rolando is a fantastic dj. I had the ability to see him at your BBQ a few years ago and his Nitelife mix on NRK is quality.

Best of luck with your event.

The whole genrefication inside 'Techno' needs to fuckin stop. Minimal is just a fashionable way to say or not say tech-house or more experimental techno music. It's a fuckin adjective its not a genre of music. It's all marketing. It's not house its not techno. Let's call it fuckin minimal. Let's invent a new genre of music and put some dj's under it and see how far we can run with it. I think a healthy 'TECHNO' scene would be a good start here in Miami. The blueprint is out there. Robots (NY) , Compression (LA) , Kontrol (SF) , Paxahau (DETROIT!), but if we continue to alienate people the way people are doing. It's never going to happen.

The following is from a recent interview with Mad Mike from UR on Slices

'We didn't think black kraftwerk or white kraftwerk it was fuckin Kraftwerk'

This music was faceless for a reason. To let the music speak for itself and not be it black music or white music. It's just music include everyone I don't care if you like house or techno or electro. If you want to come have a good time come wth an open mind.

Guest DJ Nova

The following is from a recent interview with Mad Mike from UR on Slices

'We didn't think black kraftwerk or white kraftwerk it was fuckin Kraftwerk'

This music was faceless for a reason. To let the music speak for itself and not be it black music or white music. It's just music include everyone I don't care if you like house or techno or electro. If you want to come have a good time come wth an open mind.

Yes ! and that is what I'm sayin, Miami's clubs are excluding a huge part of dance music by not booking more diversely.

Guest pod

Yes ! and that is what I'm sayin, Miami's clubs are excluding a huge part of dance music by not booking more diversely.

OK sure. But do the acts that are excluded make economic sense? Like Philip said, we're not a bunch of dirty Communists, everything in clubland here is a business move. Gone are the heady days of the Edge and so forth where you could book on artistic merit, since most DJs were working for a grand or less. Now it's a business maneuver since you're talking real money to book someone.

Guest Philip

The whole genrefication inside 'Techno' needs to fuckin stop. Minimal is just a fashionable way to say or not say tech-house or more experimental techno music. It's a fuckin adjective its not a genre of music.

the terms techno and house are just as much adjectives as minimal is. minimal doesn't describe tech-house but it could describe some tech-house. same with techno. minimal has been around alot longer than electronic music and can easily describe (and does describe) a genre within electronic music. not only this but the term minimal as described in this context is a far more established term in art circles than some other adjectives in the electronic music world and is much easier to define.

Guest mr.miami

The whole genrefication inside 'Techno' needs to fuckin stop. Minimal is just a fashionable way to say or not say tech-house or more experimental techno music. It's a fuckin adjective its not a genre of music.

the terms techno and house are just as much adjectives as minimal is. minimal doesn't describe tech-house but it could describe some tech-house. same with techno. minimal has been around alot longer than electronic music and can easily describe (and does describe) a genre within electronic music. not only this but the term minimal as described in this context is a far more established term in art circles than some other adjectives in the electronic music world and is much easier to define.

After reading this I can only think of doing one thing. ;D

259029841_l.gif

Guest pod

Mr. Miami actually represents your average Miami clubgoer. He doesn't care about the DJ or the music, he's out for a good time. You should be marketing to him and his ilk if you want your night to succeed.