Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Teens turn to cough syrup to get high, feds say

Bling

The annual study, in its 32nd year, surveyed 50,000 students in the 8th, 10th and 12th grades at more than 400 schools nationwide. It found, that over the last year:

Illegal drug use at all three grade levels dropped, if only slightly. An estimated 36.5 percent of high school seniors reported using illicit drugs at some point in the year.

Marijuana remained the single most abused drug among teens, although its use also dropped slightly within all three grades. Nearly 12 percent of 8th graders reported using it, compared to 25 percent of 10th graders and 31 percent of high school seniors.

One-third of 8th graders said they had consumed alcoholic beverages, compared to more than a half of 10th graders and two-thirds of seniors surveyed. That also was a small decrease among the three grade levels. But the number of 10th and 12th graders who reported getting drunk increased slightly.

Comparatively, the number of teens who got high from medicines and households items instead of illegal drugs was small. They included:

Nearly 10 percent of high school seniors admitted to using excessive dosages of Vicodin, a slight increase over the last year.

Nine percent of 8th graders sniffed glue, spray paints, cleaning fluids or other inhalants, down slightly.

3.6 percent of 10th graders got high off Ritalin, up two-tenths of 1 percent. Ritalin is used normally to combat effects of attention deficit disorder.

Guest pod

Wow, really? Shit, next thing you know they'll tell us about these new phones. They're like normal phones but, get this, you can carry them with you. Like a "mobile phone".

Guest ANARCHYP

Wow, really? Shit, next thing you know they'll tell us about these new phones. They're like normal phones but, get this, you can carry them with you. Like a "mobile phone".

so you heard about it too...now i dont feel so alone

Guest mursa

...the DEA is gonna open up a new branch on it's WAR on Drugs ! ............ROBUTOSIN division ! ::)

and yea , this is old news ........robotripping ? anyone ?

Guest b00tyman07

Codeine's overrated, gimme the ganj any day

i remember when everyone was freaked out that kids were huffing paint and white out to get high and fucking up their brain cells rather than the old fashioned way and getting hammered. back in middle school they even banned white out cause kids were using it as nail polish and smelling their fingers all day. what will they think of next

Guest slamminshaun

Hey JMT....looks like we need another warning label huh?

they are already there.

There's no way people would get high on cough syrup if they knew it could hurt them....perhaps they need 4 more surgeon general's warnings to get the point across. It works with cigarettes right? Wait, no it doesn't, people smoke anyway....ah fuck it, let's just ban cough syrup and call it quits.

Guest JMT

they are already there.

There's no way people would get high on cough syrup if they knew it could hurt them....perhaps they need 4 more surgeon general's warnings to get the point across. It works with cigarettes right? Wait' date=' no it doesn't, people smoke anyway....ah fuck it, let's just ban cough syrup and call it quits.

[/quote']

have you discovered another way to stop coughing?

Guest slamminshaun

they are already there.

There's no way people would get high on cough syrup if they knew it could hurt them....perhaps they need 4 more surgeon general's warnings to get the point across. It works with cigarettes right? Wait, no it doesn't, people smoke anyway....ah fuck it, let's just ban cough syrup and call it quits.

have you discovered another way to stop coughing?

Funny you asked.

click here

Yes, junkies....cough drops! And not just any ordinary cough drops. ORGANIC cough drops, because we can't have those harmful chemicals and pesticides all over our medicine. And if that isn't a healthy enough method to control your coughing, try these natural, herbal, tropical soother, organic lozenges!

click here

Guest michael^heaven

People have been using OTC meds forever to get high. There was a report a long time ago that Indians were using mouthwash to get drunk on their reservations.

Guest cutchemist

Yeah, it's real cool. I just got one.

lol :)

I think it was freshman year of highschool when us girls would meet in the bathroom and down entire bottles of Robitussin...lol...those were the days...and I wonder why I became a chemist... 8)

Guest cutchemist

Funny you asked.

click here

Yes' date=' junkies....cough drops! And not just any ordinary cough drops. ORGANIC cough drops, because we can't have those harmful chemicals and pesticides all over our medicine. And if that isn't a healthy enough method to control your coughing, try these natural, herbal, tropical soother, organic lozenges!

click here

That organic vegatarian pesticide shit is for the dingbats of the world

Yeah, it's real cool. I just got one.

lol :)

I think it was freshman year of highschool when us girls would meet in the bathroom and down entire bottles of Robitussin...lol...those were the days...and I wonder why I became a chemist... 8)

:-*

Guest myles hie

Did everyone miss the whole Sipping on Sizzurp thing from those Texas rappers a few years ago? They drink that shit and listen to hip hop on half speed..

Sizzurp= cough medicine and soda